PDA

View Full Version : XBOX 360 Controller SUCKS for PC

Q
12-08-05, 02:57 PM
The title says it all.

The controller feels great in one's hand. The buttons are placed perfectly. It's stylish. Light. Durable.

But... THE SOFTWARE REEKS! SUCKS! IS NO GOOD! MAKES ME WANT TO STAB MY EYES OUT WITH A COAT HANGER!

Its just a driver. Big deal, right?

THERE IS NO DEADZONE. What was that? NO DEAD ZONE. Which means that in games like NFS:MW, you can't drive in a straight line half the time. I'm afraid to try it in any other games for fear that I'd chuck it across the room.

Over $40 bucks with shipping included. What a load. Oh yeah, and it doesn't support force feedback yet, either. Even though my crappy PS2 converter adapter thing does. Jebus.

I'm sure that this thing rocks for XBOX 360. The Kong demo I played at Wally World seemed tight. But for PC...jeez...keep your distance.

Unless you want to buy it from me! (xmasgrin) I'll make you a GREAT DEAL!

jAkUp
12-08-05, 03:00 PM
I dunno... it worked good for me.

NFS MW drives in a straight line, and NFS didn't work with rumble on my Logitech Rumblepad 2 either.

Q
12-08-05, 03:05 PM
I'm reading around that a lot of people are having this issue. Some people are even purchasing this $20 profiling software for gamepads. It's pretty deep. Almost every review under google when searching "xbox 360 controller review" has something to say about the deadzone issue.

Rumble works fine on my MOMO (I'd hope so) and my PS2 converter for MW.

It's a shame that a company who makes there living on software actually puts out a killer piece of hardware with crappy software. Irony is fun.

Edit: And the little XBOX button doesn't work or light up! :p

jAkUp
12-08-05, 03:10 PM
Microsoft promised that they are going to release much better drivers though.

You know whats weird though?

On the Gamers edition of King Kong, the light lights up just like the Xbox game! I think maybe the game needs to be specifically programmed for it. I never tried to see if rumble works with that game or not...

Q
12-08-05, 03:14 PM
Microsoft promised that they are going to release much better drivers though.

You know whats weird though?

On the Gamers edition of King Kong, the light lights up just like the Xbox game! I think maybe the game needs to be specifically programmed for it.

MS promised? Jakup...now, I like MS more than the average guy. I do, really. But I don't believe any company that makes any promises until I see the finished goods.

And who would think that MS would require a game to be specifically programmed for it! Do you remember that crap with the original sidewinder? How the buttons weren't all recognized or not recognized correctly until games started supporting them internally.

But this is a GREAT piece of hardware. Did I mention that I'm thinking about getting rid of it? (xmasgrin)

Riptide
12-08-05, 04:02 PM
Might make a good paper weight. Stylish anyway.

Q
12-08-05, 04:09 PM
Exactly! A ***V E R Y*** stylish paperweight. Also useful for saving the world, or so I'm told...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=766051

[/shameless plug]

Anyways, I seem to have a bad habit of doing this. I buy something, don't like it, complain about it in the forums and then sell it on the forums. You see, that just goes to show what kind of a stand up guy I am! :D I let you know the good and the bad before I even try to sell ya on something.

Scunner
12-08-05, 07:36 PM
I found the same problem with NFSMW; no deadzone, so my car kept drifting to the right.

I've been experimenting with reading data from a USB controller to see if I can write a dead zone wrapper in .NET for the X360 pad. I don't have a lot of time available, but I think I'm heading in the right direction.

Riptide
12-08-05, 08:34 PM
I usually just return the stuff I end up hating. Last thing that went back was the copperhead that I didn't like.

Q
12-08-05, 09:04 PM
I usually just return the stuff I end up hating. Last thing that went back was the copperhead that I didn't like.

I would do that, but I bought it through Pricegrabber I think...through a little yahoo store....so it wouldn't even be worth trying to send it back.

Superfly
12-09-05, 03:33 AM

I can understand that

Greg
12-09-05, 05:40 AM
...I think maybe the game needs to be specifically programmed for it. I never tried to see if rumble works with that game or not...
I have no idea if the drivers emulate standard joysticks or not as I havn't got one yet, but the latest DirectX comes with a separate API for the 360 controller suggesting that specific code may be needed to use it, or use all its controls.

Medion
12-10-05, 07:44 AM
This is a problem I've noticed with PC Gamepads. Console gamepads generally have VERY small deadzones, as the analog stick's "current" location is calibrated as "zero" when the system turns on.

For some reason, response to PC controllers is less precise, and every PC Gamepad I've used has a much larger deadzone. It actually annoys me, being used to higher quality console gamepads.

As for force feedack, that's a problem with most of EA's PC games. EA is just great at quarter-assing things. You'd think they'd at least half-ass it.