PDA

View Full Version : Big GPU Shootout up at Xbit

Elfear
12-08-05, 05:52 PM
Nice review up over at X-bit Labs http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/games-2005.html. Pretty surprised by the results actually. Looks like the 1800XT keeps pace with the 512MB 7800GTX at max eye-candy.

jAkUp
12-08-05, 06:50 PM
I was checking that out earlier :D Nice roundup

ViN86
12-08-05, 07:19 PM
wow that GTX 512 is amazing :eek:
nice link

fatal1ty
12-08-05, 09:52 PM
HAHA -- this kills me

NVIDIA ForceWare 81.89 (please bear in mind that according to NVIDIA the 81.89 driver only differs from WHQL-passed 81.85 driver with a new .inf file):
Image Settings: Quality

Cmon - the 2 - 3 FPS the 512 wins by is because it's in Quality mode. Let's get rid of the shimmering, test in HQ and I think the results and IQ would be a spot on match.

Oh yeah - also the ATI card overclocks much further.... so I'd say the X1800XT for $539 and overclocked would be the winner!

OWA
12-08-05, 10:17 PM
HAHA -- this kills me

Yeah, that's kind of obvious. (xmastong)

Not many seem to agree with you but like you said in the other thread, all that matters is that you're happy with whatever card you decide to keep. Heh, play more games and spend less time trying to sway support for a particular position and you'll probably enjoy whatever card a lot more. Although, I have a feeling you're somewhat like me and enjoy testing various cards, settings, etc. a lot as well.

NightFire
12-09-05, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the link. The performance results aren't too surprising.

nicorulez
12-09-05, 06:44 PM
Interesting, maybe the r580 will have something to it. The x1800xt is clocked slower than the 7800GTX 512 and has fewer pipes, but keeps up nicely in AA/AF mode. Unlike some NV members who went on and on before the x1800xt launch that it was no better than the regular ole 7800GTX, it clearly kicks the hell out of the regular NV cards. Maybe, when CF comes out then there will be some competition and prices will go down. Right now the 512mb 7800GTX cheapest cost on pricegrabber is 750 bucks, if it is even in stock. That is as insulting as the 6800U extreme. Nvidia is still in the lead, but ATI is obviously in this for the long haul. Anybody who thinks they are going out of business is crazy....they have enough cash and income from sales of the XBox 360 and later Nintendo system. 2006 will be very interesting.(xmasgrin)

YOGIx213
12-09-05, 08:03 PM
Yeah, that's kind of obvious. (xmastong)

Not many seem to agree with you but like you said in the other thread, all that matters is that you're happy with whatever card you decide to keep. Heh, play more games and spend less time trying to sway support for a particular position and you'll probably enjoy whatever card a lot more. Although, I have a feeling you're somewhat like me and enjoy testing various cards, settings, etc. a lot as well.

Yeah, fatality...you say that you have no preference as to which company you like, yet all you do is try to sway others away from nvidia due to your subjective points on image quality (of which you claim is so clear but to many others they just can't tell the difference).

fatal1ty
12-10-05, 12:53 AM
Interesting, maybe the r580 will have something to it. The x1800xt is clocked slower than the 7800GTX 512 and has fewer pipes, but keeps up nicely in AA/AF mode. Unlike some NV members who went on and on before the x1800xt launch that it was no better than the regular ole 7800GTX, it clearly kicks the hell out of the regular NV cards. Maybe, when CF comes out then there will be some competition and prices will go down. Right now the 512mb 7800GTX cheapest cost on pricegrabber is 750 bucks, if it is even in stock. That is as insulting as the 6800U extreme. Nvidia is still in the lead, but ATI is obviously in this for the long haul. Anybody who thinks they are going out of business is crazy....they have enough cash and income from sales of the XBox 360 and later Nintendo system. 2006 will be very interesting.(xmasgrin)

The X1800XT is 625 and the GTX 512 is 550.

PeterJensen
12-10-05, 10:03 AM
My GTX kan run @ 600 on the core....

Lfctony
12-10-05, 10:14 AM
Honestly, I've switched from Nvidia to ATI and backwards several times since the 6800U came out, haven't noticed any significant IQ difference between the cards. It goes like this:

9800 Pro -> 6800U -> X800 Pro -> 6800U -> X800XT-PE -> 7800GTX -> X1800XT.

And still, nothing noteworthy in IQ differences and I tend to look very hard for anything that might be wrong. ATI might have the edge with HQ AF right now, but other than that...

PS. Switches were made for review purposes.

rewt
12-10-05, 10:14 AM
Yeah, fatality...you say that you have no preference as to which company you like, yet all you do is try to sway others away from nvidia due to your subjective points on image quality (of which you claim is so clear but to many others they just can't tell the difference).

Honestly, I've switched from Nvidia to ATI and backwards several times since the 6800U came out, haven't noticed any significant IQ difference between the cards.

ATI's filtering quality is superior to that of nVidia's, at least with all the current generation of cards. ATI has an option to disable angle-dependent anisotropic filtering. That means they have true High Quality AF.

NVIDIA's High Quality AF is nothing more than disabling some optimizations which are known to cause shimmering. It does not disable angle-dependent AF, and as far as I know there is no way to because it isn't built into the hardware.

Lfctony
12-10-05, 10:38 AM
I commented on that mate, it's in my post. I know they have NV3x AF now. :)

ATI might have the edge with HQ AF right now, but other than that...

nicorulez
12-10-05, 11:21 AM
The X1800XT is 625 and the GTX 512 is 550.

True, but the memory is faster on the 7800 GTX 512. That is the most important factor when it comes to AA/AF gaming. The higher base core clock speed will only really show its teeth when fill-rate is not an issue. Thus, my point stands.(xmastong)

Medion
12-10-05, 11:27 AM
True, but the memory is faster on the 7800 GTX 512. That is the most important factor when it comes to AA/AF gaming. The higher base core clock speed will only really show its teeth when fill-rate is not an issue. Thus, my point stands.

AA tends to be more of a fill-rate limitation than a memory limitation on a 512MB card :)