PDA

View Full Version : AGP Why Not? has nVidia responded officially?

Pages : [1] 2

Pennyboy
12-09-05, 04:46 PM
Why hasn't nVidia released an AGP version of the 7800 series? I know this has been posted a hundred thousand times before and people are probably sick of the posts but I can't help wondering what nVidia's and ATI's views are on this subject.
nVidia has released statements like "6800 series is the last of the AGP cards and thats that" but has anyone interviewed say David Kirk or other nVidia employees to hear there answer on the subject? As per the inquirer 70% of people still have AGP systems and I know I can't take this as gospel but I know for sure that a lot of people still own AGP rigs. For example out of all my friends with computers who game (6) i'm the only one to have a PCI Express system and my friends won't upgrade from AGP to PCI Express because of the money involved and they were all hoping that the X1800s and 7800s were going to be released in AGP. It can't be a bandwidth issues because AGP 8X is still more than capable.
ATI and nVidia want to make the most money they can, so wouldn't the sales they would make from AGP version of the new High end card be more than the cost of making bridge chips and new AGP boards?

Anyways if anyone knows more on what nVidia and ATI think post away!!

OWA
12-09-05, 04:49 PM
From the FAQ on Nvidia's site:

AGP Version for 7800 and 6800GS

Question
Will there ever be an AGP interface version for the 7800 and 6800GS graphics boards available?

Answer
It is possible for Add In Card (AIC) manufactures to use the NVIDIA HSI chip to make AGP GeForce 6 and 7 series based cards. By using the innovative NVIDIA High-Speed Interconnect (HSI), a complex piece of networking technology that performs seamless, bi-directional interconnect protocol conversion at incredible speed. This can transform NVIDIA's award-winning PCI Express GPUs to become AGP compatible. However, NVIDIA nor our AICs are disclosing plans for AGP 7800 or 6800GS based products at this time.

Pennyboy
12-09-05, 04:54 PM
Interesting. I'm just on the nVidia's site now reading the FAQ too, looks like it could be a possibility in the future then!! I know a my friends would be pleased if nVidia did go AGP for there high end.

Darkoz
12-09-05, 05:31 PM
AGP as a standard has been replaced by PCI-E, so the chances of any manufacturer reverting back is zero.
It'll be no different to asking say Intel to start producing socket 478 CPUs again, it's not going to happen.
Technology moves on and unfortunately those with AGP systems are simply going to have to bite the bullet and move on as well, if they want to keep upgrading their hardware.

hemmy
12-09-05, 05:33 PM
AGP is dead, get over it, spending more money on AGP now would be a total waste of money anyway

ricercar
12-09-05, 06:09 PM
seventy per cent of upgrade market is still AGP (http://theinquirer.net/?article=28253)
WE LEARNED that seventy per cent of upgrade market is still AGP. ... Nvidia just cannot fill the demand and is still struggling to get its 6800 GS AGP cards ... Nvidia and ATI are still getting quite significant revenues from PCI sales

Yeah, yeah, yeah, the Inq is infallably automatically wrong. Except when it's right.

nutcrackr
12-09-05, 06:13 PM
Sign the petition LOL they always work!
http://www.petitiononline.com/7800AGP/petition.html
I hope to see a AGP high end but I really doubt it

Riptide
12-09-05, 06:43 PM
NVidia is leaving it up to the manufacturers to implement and so far they don't seem interested.

Switching has not been all roses for me so believe me I would've been happy to buy the AGP part and stick with my old motherboard.

john19055
12-09-05, 07:07 PM
It looks to me that they would make some money if the made a 7800 AGP card because of all the demand ,I do not understand why nvidia or Ati don't put out one,I guess they are just waiting for people to get tired of asking and go to the PCIe like I fineally did.

Airbrushkid
12-09-05, 07:18 PM
Well they want to lose that kind of money by not making a agp version. 70% of the market is alot of money. Technology is technology, but without the money there dead.

jAkUp
12-09-05, 07:55 PM
Well, keep in mind nVidia and ATI make mobo chipsets also.

By forcing an upgrade, they can sell more chipsets.

JamesDax
12-09-05, 07:56 PM
There will be an AGP 7xxx series card. It's just my humble opinion, but trust me, there will be.

$n][pErMan
12-09-05, 08:18 PM
There will be an AGP 7xxx series card. It's just my humble opinion, but trust me, there will be.
So do I honestly. It will probably be the last big AGP release though. I think after that PCI-E will start to take hold more and a lot of the bugs will finally be squashed and people will be more willing to upgrade.

einstein_314
12-09-05, 08:27 PM
I don't think it will necessarily be a high end card though. They may release a 7600 AGP and probably a 7200 but as for the 7800, probably not. I can see that they want the transition period to be over. There has to be a point were they say, no more agp. I'm guessing that the next release (8xxx series) will be pci-e only.

john19055
12-09-05, 08:32 PM
I don't look for them to put out a top end card either if they make another AGP card it will probally be a middle range card if they put one out at all since they have the 6800u and it still will run any game out there just not at the best settings.

Riptide
12-09-05, 09:26 PM
By forcing an upgrade, they can sell more chipsets.Force being the key word which is why this doesn't sit well with a lot of us. You can look at it as savvy business decision making, sure, but it still upsets some people for (IMO) legitimate reasons.

For those of us who don't use SLI - PCI-Express provides practically no tangible benefits.

jAkUp
12-09-05, 09:59 PM
Well, what I kinda find strange about this whole ordeal, is they seemed to have stopped making AGP cards, yet they still make PCI cards! Now thats something I don't understand.

Perhaps for multi-monitors? Who knows...

Pennyboy
12-09-05, 10:14 PM
Both ATI and nVidia have really pushed PCI express, I would have thought that it wouldn't be until nVidia released there 8 series cards or when the new GPUs need the bandwidth of PCI express that they would stop supporting AGP for the high end. If I remember correctly AGP took a lot longer to start becoming mainstream. Still low end Athlon 64s are quite affordable and Nforce4 based mobo's are becoming cheaper and most people who upgrade will be able to use there current RAM.

Sailindawg
12-10-05, 07:21 PM
my friends won't upgrade from AGP to PCI Express because of the money involved and they were all hoping that the X1800s and 7800s were going to be released in AGP.

Look at Epox' new board, the EP-8NPA SLI. It's a S754 SLI motherboard for $99. The price of a 7800GT (with rebate ) is around $280. Anyone with a real decent S754 can upgrade to PCIE and SLI for about $400. Now, you can get a less opulent PCIE card, for well under $280, now the upgrade is <$300. You will use your old RAM, PS, etc... Look at EVGA. Buy a 7800GT and they give you a SLI motherboard. With a lower priced S939, you are back in the $400-$500 range. The cost and options to go to PCIE are becoming more numerous and less costly. I doubt ATI or nVidia will ever make another AGP card again. Are our AGP cards dead ?? Certainly not. Hardware has exceeded gaming graphics for the moment. COD2 will choke a 7 series card with all the eye candy, but the graphics you can still achieve with an AGP card are very good. COD2 can look incredibly good on an AGP card. Sooner or later, we will all have PCIE cards.

aZn_plyR
12-10-05, 07:47 PM
agp is so dead.... Bestbuy and stores like that has low-end pc's they are selling that has PCI-express.. with 6200's and stuff in them... AGP IS DEAD PCI-(xmassign)

JamesDax
12-10-05, 07:52 PM
agp is so dead.... Bestbuy and stores like that has low-end pc's they are selling that has PCI-express.. with 6200's and stuff in them... AGP IS DEAD PCI-(xmassign)

With 70% of the market still using AGP it is hardly dead. There will be more AGP cards in the near future.

Roliath
12-10-05, 07:54 PM
With 70% of the market still using AGP it is hardly dead. There will be more AGP cards in the near future.
I highly doubt there will be high end AGP cards in the future.
Maybe low-end and mid-range (at best), but definantly no high end cards.

aAv7
12-10-05, 08:10 PM
Ok, I dont mean to sound like a snob, but look....even if they make a 7x agp card, no way in heck a G80 is being converted to AGP. And if you plan to purchase prey, ut2k7, and every other demanding game coming in 06, and want decent detail settings and decent frames...your gonna have to suck it up and buy a new mobo/cpu. And then a new pci-e card...so basically, a new system.

All you guys out there hoping for a new AGP card have become like the old pci users you used to insult. =P " Just go agp man, pci is dead". Well, this is the same thing.

If you cant afford the upgrade, xbox 360 or ps3 are my words for you.

Airbrushkid
12-10-05, 08:32 PM
Do you have a official link to that quote of yours??

seventy per cent of upgrade market is still AGP (http://theinquirer.net/?article=28253)

Yeah, yeah, yeah, the Inq is infallably automatically wrong. Except when it's right.

shoes
12-11-05, 12:35 AM
In my case my top rig has an X850XT PE AGP and i don't want to get rid of the card. It's that good to me, so i will upgrade to the AsRock 939 dual. Not really the mobo i want but good enough to give me a medium grade OC and has good stability