PDA

View Full Version : Half a turn saves $500.

Q
12-09-05, 09:55 PM
My 6800 Ultra has ran hot for as long as I can remember. It hits 90c and starts artifacting in FEAR and in SC:CT when I used to have it. (Very minor dissapearing textures, but still annoying) I decided I was going to try to mod it today by placing a 120mm Panaflo on top of it with the standard fan off. It shot out the same 90...so I thought "I wonder if the heatsink is making contact well enough?"

I do the trick were you hold the card up to a light to see if there are any visible gaps and I didn't see the first. Then,I get out the screw driver and all the screws are tight minus one. I turn it less than HALF a turn and hook everything back up. Quake 4 runs at 78c when it hits heavy parts and FEAR just barely hit 79.

I had previously taken the heatsink off because it was running too hot and applied a higher grade thermal paste. (The card was running in the mid 90's before). So I thought I had done some good...but apparently I didn't turn one screw half a turn.

I was ready to buy a GTX because of this, but now I can wait until the Summer release of new cards! YAY for ignorance! YAY!

Edit: And it idles 3 to 4 degrees lower (now 59). Which means now it finally idles in all green, compared to lovely yellow it used to keep. Freaking sweet.

Roadhog
12-09-05, 10:18 PM
ehehe, cool...

Riptide
12-09-05, 10:28 PM
If the VF700-Cu fits you might wanna get one. They aren't real expensive and it'll drop temps at least a good 10c most likely. If I were you I'd take the stock HSF off and at the minimum put a fresh layer of arctic silver on there. Just to be safe. :)

saturnotaku
12-09-05, 10:33 PM
Y'know Rip, if that were you, the card would be dead. :p

Q
12-09-05, 10:40 PM
If the VF700-Cu fits you might wanna get one. They aren't real expensive and it'll drop temps at least a good 10c most likely. If I were you I'd take the stock HSF off and at the minimum put a fresh layer of arctic silver on there. Just to be safe. :)

I was looking at the V-1 Ultra...but decided to just live with stock until my next upgrade. I've lived with this card since its release date (I still can't believe that I haven't upgraded yet (xmasgrin) ), and I figure a few more months won't hurt me. I've read that the GTX 512 is going to be phased out in February, but I know something will be here by July at the latest. Plus, only a few games were giving me any trouble, so I just learned to live with it.

I don't have any real arctic silver but I have some damn good knock off stuff that cost half as much. I've been running bench after bench and did a lot of gameplay (more than I have in months, thank god exams are over) and never once hit 80c. I'm more than happy, I'm not going to rip the heatsink off again "just to check". I'd be pressing my luck.

And what are you talking about, Saturn? He would have cracked the PCB just looking at it. (xmastong)

Edit: Link to the GTX 512 supposed cancellation...
http://www.cooltechzone.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=2059

Scunner
12-09-05, 10:47 PM
Hands up if after reading this you plan to tighten some screws...

Glad that worked out for you, mate. Who'dathunk half a turn.

$n][pErMan
12-09-05, 11:11 PM
59c idle is still pretty high for that card though :p But hey,... if tightening a screw lowered temps its a nice fix :)

Q
12-09-05, 11:16 PM
Well...I'm going to have to do something about the damn stock on it anyways!

I've noticed a whistling on the damn fan now! I took it out just now and put some machine oil on it but it didn't help that much. Damn it that I do this on the Friday after exams. No places around here are going to have any heatsinks/fans and I really wanted to do some gaming this weekend. Now I'll be lucky to keep the machine on.

Its really not that obnoxious, and I've heard worse case fans...but I've grown so used to the particular sound of my machine that this is pretty annoying.

Edit: Actually, Compusa has that Zalman...but...its $50 bucks! Damn... I'm tempted though. Do we like this cooler, everyone? :D

Edit2: HOLY CRAP... that's twice the price of any online store.

Riptide
12-09-05, 11:23 PM
Y'know Rip, if that were you, the card would be dead. :pFunny thing is I've had good luck with video cards and CPUs. Haven't got a dead one yet. Driver problems? Motherboard/RAM problems? That is ofcourse a whole other story. (rudolf)

Qlitchford check pricegrabber for a price on the Zalman.

Q
12-09-05, 11:35 PM
Yeah...I've seen them shipped for 29.43 on there....but it will take till Wednesday or so to get it. I can pay like 52 tomarrow and have it. (And I am really jonesing for some damn gaming. I haven't played anything at ALL this semester)

I figure it would be about the same as overnighting it, but I can get it tomarrow. Still a lot of cash, though.

$n][pErMan
12-10-05, 12:57 AM
Yeah...I've seen them shipped for 29.43 on there....but it will take till Wednesday or so to get it. I can pay like 52 tomarrow and have it. (And I am really jonesing for some damn gaming. I haven't played anything at ALL this semester)

I figure it would be about the same as overnighting it, but I can get it tomarrow. Still a lot of cash, though.
Got done with finals myself this week... back to work for 60+ hours a week till next quarter.. but you can bet I am going to be gaming and or drinking all weekend!! (xmasgrin) (xmastong)