PDA

View Full Version : Zalman CNPS9500 LED

Capt. Picard
12-09-05, 09:15 PM
I see that this model has the foot-piece normally on the cpu but the heatsink is turned on its side connected to the foot with copper tubes.

What I want to know is who has one; and doesn't it put a lot of strain on the motherboard if it is standing vertically with this heavy heatsink hanging horizontally?

PaiN
12-09-05, 09:37 PM
No Captain, its very well mounted, especially on a 939/754 board

Darkoz
12-09-05, 09:49 PM
The mounting mechanism is very secure and even though it sits higher, the 9500 weighs a third less than the previous 7000/7700 models.

Scunner
12-09-05, 09:55 PM
Another vote of confidence for the Zalman.

There are two ways to mount the HSF; such that the airflow is vertical, or horizontal. A restraining bar which fits between the heatpipes is secured to the socket 939 retention clip. The weight is transferred through the bar onto the retention clip. The backplate on the underside of the motherboard also distributes the force nicely. I saw absolutely no warping or bending of the mobo once the Zalman was in position. Like you, I was nervous that the "height" of the fan would create additional stress on the socket, but its had no ill-effect in the past few months.

One piece of advice, however; if you're moving your PC to say, a LAN party, it's recommended that you lie the case on its side to prevent damage from sudden shocks.