PDA

View Full Version : Long time reader, first time poster.

Medion
12-10-05, 02:29 AM
For the longest time, I limited my posting to Rage3D since I currently own an ATI card, and have for a couple of years. I figured that I couldn't possibly add anything of substance to this forum, except maybe some fanboy drivel.

However, I'm building two new PCs (one for me, one for the wife, both gamers) when I return from Iraq. That should be in under 2 months.

We've already decided to get the XFX brand 7800GT (the special edition) and 6800GS. I had my heart set on another ATI card, specifically the X1800XL, but that just isn't going to happen.

All you ever hear form the ATI side is "IQ, IQ, IQ." I'm guilty of this too. When I upgraded from a GF4MX to a 9600XT, the IQ jump was huge, just in color vibrancy alone.

And while it is true that ATI has a lead in AF this generation, Shadows are one thing that has bugged me over the past couple of years. With ATI cards, you have to turn shadows off or to a lower detail, or put up with worse performance or shadows that break apart. Chalk this up to TWIMTBP devs using an NV path or whatever, but games like Fable just die on ATI cards with shadows at their highest settings. And yes, it's "IQ" to me when a character is running around either with no shadow or a black circle under his feet.

Both brands had their advantages/disadvantages, so for me, I just preferred the performance and the price of the 7800GT over the X1800XL. Drivers also played a role, as ATI is slowly reverting to pre-9700 driver like issues.

And to close, here's a brief history of the video cards I have owned:

S3 ViRGE 1MB (1996)
S3 ViRGE 2MB (1997)
Canopue Pure3D 3Dfx Voodoo 1 6MB (1997)
ATI Rage Mach 64 8MB (2001)
GeForce 4MX 440-8X 128MB (2003, now in my wife's current PC)
ATI Radeon 9600XT 128MB (2004, died in under 30 days)
ATI Radeon 9800PRO 128MB (2004, added VGA silencer, flashed to XT, OC'ed 450/390)

smthmlk.
12-10-05, 03:39 AM
is there a question in that? is this a confession? it's just a video card, man :) regardless, good luck with your new computers and video cards.

(xmassign)

Medion
12-10-05, 04:00 AM
is there a question in that? is this a confession? it's just a video card, man regardless, good luck with your new computers and video cards.

Nah, just a mixed introduction and explanation of why I'm going green.

Acid Rain
12-10-05, 04:42 AM
Well, NV isn't perfect either, but our issues are usually niggling little things like faulty profilers and such. Silly little things usually, but maddening nonetheless. I'd stay away from the latest set, though. Go with the 78.03s for x64 and 78.05s for WinXP 32, run "Image Quality" at "High", and you should be golden.

Almost forgot...NV likes shadows. ;)

Superfly
12-10-05, 05:07 AM
well welcome to the forums dude - take care in Iraq and best of luck wit the 78GT when you get home!!

Medion
12-10-05, 05:12 AM
Well, NV isn't perfect either

True, both sides have their issues. However, some of ATI's current issues are getting on my nerves after 2 years. Maybe 2 years from now, I'll go red again. But I feel that the 7800GT is the best fit for me at this time.

Joe Public
12-10-05, 05:30 AM
Welcome the green side. I returned to it about a year ago, when the X800XT shortages were at its worst. Haven't regretted it. :D

And good luck in Iraq.

If you see :inform: over there, say hello. :p

john19055
12-10-05, 05:40 AM
Yes I was wanting to go back to ATI this time around but the X1800XL just was'nt the card I thought it was going to be I thought for sure ATI would have more then 16 pipelines and the 7800GT with it's 20 pipes and a $299 price tag is just a lot better deal then the X1800XL.

saturnotaku
12-10-05, 06:58 AM
Drivers also played a role, as ATI is slowly reverting to pre-9700 driver like issues.

Isn't that the truth. In mid-late 2003, the 9800 Pro was really unstoppable - great performance, image quality and drivers. After that, God help you especially if you wanted to play anything OpenGL.

Anyway, welcome to the fold, and God bless you for your service. Be safe out there, and wipe out a few terrorists for us while you're at it.

Medion
12-10-05, 07:36 AM
Hey, saturnotaku, is that a reference to the Sega Saturn, by chance?

Welcome the green side. I returned to it about a year ago, when the X800XT shortages were at its worst. Haven't regretted it.

Good to know. I suspect that most of the overblown fanboy issues shouldn't affect me. All the bad things I heard about ATI ended up being false with my 9600/9800 cards.

Yes I was wanting to go back to ATI this time around but the X1800XL just was'nt the card I thought it was going to be I thought for sure ATI would have more then 16 pipelines and the 7800GT with it's 20 pipes and a $299 price tag is just a lot better deal then the X1800XL.

You have to look at more than just pipelines. Multiply the pipelines by the core clock to get the theorhetical peak pixel fill rate. But then you have to consider what each pipeline has (supposedly, the ATI card is better with shader intensive operations). Overall, comparing the number of pipelines between ATI and NVidia anymore is akin to comparing clock speed between Intel and AMD. It's pointless.

Isn't that the truth. In mid-late 2003, the 9800 Pro was really unstoppable - great performance, image quality and drivers. After that, God help you especially if you wanted to play anything OpenGL.

My issues with them stem to be paper launches, which lead to higher street prices for a longer time, as well as driver issues, and shadows. I'm content with their OGL support.

saturnotaku
12-10-05, 08:12 AM
Hey, saturnotaku, is that a reference to the Sega Saturn, by chance?

Nope. The first console I ever bought was an Xbox.

It's in reference to the Saturn brand of cars that I drove from 2000-2005. I have a Chevy now, but it's going to be sitting a lot now that I have a job as a car reviewer. I have a Cadillac DTS sitting in my garage right now. :D

By the way, if you're content with ATI's OpenGL support, you'll probably orgasm when you fire up an OpenGL game on an NVIDIA card. It's that much better. ;)

Rytr
12-10-05, 08:24 AM
Welcome and don't think you will be disappointed with the 7800GT.
I have been using an engineering design 6800GS for a few weeks and get good results on a 17" LCD at 1280x1024. I just received an XFX 6800GS XXX and played some FC and Riddick last night. Should have a review up in a couple of weeks.

OWA
12-10-05, 10:23 AM
is there a question in that? is this a confession? it's just a video card, man :) regardless, good luck with your new computers and video cards.

(xmassign)
Confessions are good for the soul. (xmasmile)

Welcome to the nvnews forums Medion.

a12ctic
12-10-05, 04:09 PM
i had a 9000 pro for a long time (about 3 years) and it was a great card, recently replaced with a 6600GT wich is much beter, but for a 3 year old card it was great, i had both a 4200 and a 9000 and those cards were GREAT i never had probs with either of them

crainger
12-10-05, 04:43 PM
S3 ViRGE 1MB (1996)
S3 ViRGE 2MB (1997)

Ah the ViRGE... Monster Truck Madness never looked so good.

Q
12-10-05, 08:38 PM
It's in reference to the Saturn brand of cars that I drove from 2000-2005. I have a Chevy now, but it's going to be sitting a lot now that I have a job as a car reviewer. I have a Cadillac DTS sitting in my garage right now. :D

Wow...I feel enlightened. I always thought it was the name of that anime chick you had as an avatar for so long.

And welcome to the forums Medion!!!

Clay
12-10-05, 08:44 PM
Welcome aboard Medion. :cool:

NightFire
12-10-05, 09:21 PM
Welcome, Medion! I'd say something funny, but I'm in a creative drought right now, so you'll just have to accept my warm welcome.

crainger
12-11-05, 05:37 AM
Wow...I feel enlightened. I always thought it was the name of that anime chick you had as an avatar for so long.

No thats Ayane from the Dead or Alive Series if my memory serves me correctly