PDA

View Full Version : ati xpress 200 +nvidia card=nightmare

riju
12-10-05, 10:20 AM
i am writing to this forum for the firsttime in search of some help which i need badly

first of all let me give my specs:

MSI RS 480 M2-IL(ati xpress 200 chipset)
AMD 64 3000+
XFX GEFORCE 6600 GT PCI-E
40 GB SAMSUNG HDD
640 MB DDR 400 RAM
400 WATT I-BALL PSU(12 V-17 A)

Now my problem is this:
for the last 4-5 months many games some new ,some old have started freezing. the sound loops on for a few secs, then either the computer restarts giving a BSOD or recovers to get frozen again after a short while.

this happens in many games which are not that graphics intensive(compared to the 6600 gt)

heres wat i have done so far to resolve the problem but to no avail

1)tried various nvidia drivers
2)tried various tweaks n bios settings
3)tried to reduce the clock frequency of the RAM to 266 Mhz
4)Overclocked,underclocked n kept the card at stock settings
5)bios flashing
6)Installed WINDOWS XP SP2 several times
7)Used DRIVER CLEANER PRO to remove any ATI display driver present on the board
8)Ran MEMTEST to check the RAM. the test said they were fine.

mine is not a monster rig but a decent rig which should run the modern games smoothly. so i am very upset rite now. Buying another Videocard(radeon) is out of the question rite now( i am a student)
Now i seriously think that after all the ATI chipset is not compatible with the NVIDIA GFX card(which wasnt mentioned anywhere)

so any help pls on this matter??
pls pls help me.
waiting for ur suggestions eagerly
thank you.

P.S.:Many of u will suggest to buy a better psu i guess.But if that is a psu problem,why should it affect only some games n the other games run smoothly?

smthmlk.
12-10-05, 03:32 PM
400 WATT I-BALL PSU(12 V-17 A)
[...]

P.S.:Many of u will suggest to buy a better psu i guess.But if that is a psu problem,why should it affect only some games n the other games run smoothly?

Some games put more demand on your video card. 17A on the 12V-rail should be ok if it's a decent quality PSU. I've never heard of "i-ball" before.. I would try another PSU if you have one to rule it out, or just go ahead and buy a $50 400-450w Fortron PSU from Newegg (such as this one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104954) [450w, $50]).

If you can rule out the PSU, then it's time to look into other possibilities (ram, cpu, etc).

a12ctic
12-10-05, 03:57 PM
dissable the intergrated card in ur bios

riju
12-11-05, 09:32 AM
first of all thx for ur replies.
i have disabled onboard video from bios and removed any trace of ati display driver from the machine using dc pro.

2day while i was playing nfs:mw suddenly the screen froze n the sound started looping.so i was ready for yet another bsod when suddenly it recovered n took me to the desktop where an error message popped up saying that"the display driver has stopped working normally" etc etc.

any suggestions please.
this weird problem is driving me crazy.

seeker010
12-11-05, 10:55 AM
first of all thx for ur replies.
i have disabled onboard video from bios and removed any trace of ati display driver from the machine using dc pro.

2day while i was playing nfs:mw suddenly the screen froze n the sound started looping.so i was ready for yet another bsod when suddenly it recovered n took me to the desktop where an error message popped up saying that"the display driver has stopped working normally" etc etc.

any suggestions please.
this weird problem is driving me crazy.
having 17A on the 12v line is comparable to the Antec Truepower 330 v1. It does should like power problems though, I've had similar problems before getting a new PSU.

ViN86
12-11-05, 11:22 AM
yea id definitely try a new PSU. sometimes it may seem pointless to spend money on something so basic, but getting a good PSU is probably the most essential part of any rig. undervolting can damage hardware and cause problems.

a12ctic
12-11-05, 11:43 AM
i have a 350 watt ps and i do fine with 6600GT+oced 3000+ (amd64)

saturnotaku
12-11-05, 07:50 PM
having 17A on the 12v line is comparable to the Antec Truepower 330 v1.

A +12v rating of 17A is pretty poor for a supposed 400W power supply. The 300W unit that came with my HP system was rated for 19A, but it still wasn't enough to power a 6800 GT.

This definitely sounds like a power issue because I have the exact same chipset, a 7800 GT and an Ultra V-series 500W power supply (28A on the +12v) and my system is rock solid.

riju
12-12-05, 10:06 AM
ok i think i have got the error statement.it said something like

the device driver was stuck in an infinite loop

any suggestions about this?

saturnotaku
12-12-05, 11:41 AM
any suggestions about this?

Yes, your power supply.