PDA

View Full Version : Problems with 7800 GT sli setup...

shadow001
12-10-05, 11:40 AM
I finally got around to installing the motherboard(Asus A8N SLI premium) and 2 7800 GT's(also asus brand) last night,and everything went about as good as it could go as far as starting up goes,detecting all the hardware and configuring bios settings...

This morning however,wich is when i had time to handle the software side of things,which in this case meant a full reformat and windows installation as well all the latest patches,and that also wnet about without a hitch either....Until i tried to install the video card drivers,wich i left for last when all the above software was already installed and running fine... The drivers were the latest reference ones straight from Nvidia's site....

I'm running 2 monitors with my setup,which were plugged in on the card nearest to the CPU for reference,and the problem in this case is that the system sees the 2 video cards,accepts those reference drivers,reboots and here's where it goes wrong,just as it's done loading windows and all the drivers....The display on the second monitor shuts off as the signal is no longer being sent from the video card,and the first monitor is still being sent a signal but is nothing but black....Can't see the O/S at all...

I reboot in safe mode,and the card is sending a signal to both monitors since the drivers aren't installed in safe mode,so i remove them while still in safe mode,restart normally and both monitors still work just the same...

I've changed the SLi settings in the bios from dual card to single card to even leaving it in auto,and it still doesn't the same thing to matter what,also double checked and reseated both cards and no difference...

Only thing that comes to mind right now is that i'm currently D/L the latest drivers from Asus's site for these cards,wich are also based on the 81.89 driver set,but quite a bit larger(43 megs),since the cards aren't based on the reference PCB like most are,but i'm kinda surprised that the reference drivers straight from Nv aren't working.....

shadow001
12-10-05, 12:13 PM
Well,here's an update...got at least one of the cards working and the system accepted the drivers this time around,but i had to configure the bios on the board to use a single video card for the time being...

Going to try an see if detecting one at time will work...Brb

shadow001
12-10-05, 12:31 PM
Got both monitors working now,but still with the single card option enabled in the bios...As soon as i enable dual card,it still screws up on the software side of things...

shadow001
12-10-05, 12:52 PM
Pretty much tried everything i can think of,even swapping the cards in their slots,and it still does the same thing when SLI is enabled in the bios...

I doubt it's the motherboard as the detection of all the hardware goes smoothly... I'm going to check out a few other forums to see if i missed something somehow..

balex99
12-10-05, 12:54 PM
Have you tried plugging the monitors into the other card? I do not have an Asus board and I did not see that you have tried that. Couldn't hurt.

While the comp is up and running in sli, plug the monitor into each port to see if any of the ports are functioning.

shadow001
12-10-05, 01:05 PM
Have you tried plugging the monitors into the other card? I do not have an Asus board and I did not see that you have tried that. Couldn't hurt.

While the comp is up and running in sli, plug the monitor into each port to see if any of the ports are functioning.

One always does work no matter what but always sends a blank signal,i when i swapped the card around,i also checked if both ports on the other card were also working when the bios was configured for single card operation...they were working fine...

There is one last possibility that comes to mind though,given that the issue really seems to be a software related one,that personally i though that it wouldn't really be an issue,but can SLI run on Win2000 pro,or does it absolutely require WinXP to work?

jAkUp
12-10-05, 01:18 PM
I hate to break it to you...

How many monitors are supported with SLI in Multi-GPU mode?
When in Multi-GPU mode, SLI currently supports one monitor. When in Single-GPU mode, users have the ability to use up to 4 monitors using nView Multi-Display Technology and Windows XP Dualview.

balex99
12-10-05, 01:50 PM
So, when you enabled SLI in bios and the comp boots up, all four ports are putting out blank screens? On my machine, only 1 of the four port puts out the signal.

Not sure of the Win2000Pro thing. Just using xp here.

jAkUp
12-10-05, 03:17 PM
Any one of the top 2 ports can put out the signal, however, only 1 at a time.

shadow001
12-10-05, 05:35 PM
So, when you enabled SLI in bios and the comp boots up, all four ports are putting out blank screens? On my machine, only 1 of the four port puts out the signal.

Not sure of the Win2000Pro thing. Just using xp here.

Well,found out one thing for sure,SLI does not work with win 2000 pro no matter what,so i bought an OEM version of winXP(going to install it right after this post)...

As for the single monitor output from the primary card when SLI is enbled,does that mean that there's no dual view support when SLI is enabled in the drivers,not even in 2D mode,and i'd have to enable/disable SLI depending if i'm gaming or just running windows plus other apps on the second monitor?...

shadow001
12-10-05, 07:33 PM
well,the system is up and running with Winxp,got all the updates installed and SLI was detected as well....It also answered my previous question in that when SLI is enabled,the signal from the remaing DVI ports get disabled no matter what....

So no SLI with the second monitor still active,not even for 2d apps,which is kinda of a shame really...:(

shadow001
12-10-05, 08:22 PM
And now the fun part,the first benchmarks..(xmasgrin)

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=4464324 wich hits 24525 3d marks and for comparison,with the same CPU,a single X850XT was doing 12347 3d marks

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1545274 this one does 10967 while the previous card was doing 6188...

shadow001
12-11-05, 01:28 AM
I also discovered that there's isn't much point in overclocking the cards as they're still seriously held back by CPU limitations,at least as far as the default benchmark settings on 3d mark go...A 60 mhz increase on both GPU cores and running the memory at 550 mhz only yeilded a 350 point increase in the final score....

So as a brief experiement,i tried the reverse and increased FSB to 230 and the cpu ended up just over 2.5 ghz core clock while the cards themselves stayed at their regular speeds and got nearly a 1000 point increase

On the brighter side of things,BF2,max eye candy settings at 1600*1200 2x AA is absolute joy to see running...Smooth as glass as FPS always feels like it's well north of 60 FPS(xmasgrin)...Was playing the kubra Dam map with 50+ players on a low ping server.

There is one question though,where in the control panel allows changing image quality from high to HQ?...Can't seem to find it.

P.S never mind,just found how it's set(quite by accident too :P)

balex99
12-11-05, 08:49 AM
Good luck with it. Glad you got it up and running. I'm still trying to figure out how the profiles work and using DXTweaker.(cheers)

shadow001
12-11-05, 09:16 AM
Good luck with it. Glad you got it up and running. I'm still trying to figure out how the profiles work and using DXTweaker.(cheers)

Same here.so i just keep it simple and use the global settings...(xmasgrin)