PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking Question!

vert305
12-10-05, 11:13 AM
Ok... I am attempting to overclock my 4400+ A8N-SLI Premium. I am sitting here in the bios Under the advanced tab, in the JumperFree Conigurations

In this window The Bios reads:

Overclocking Options

N.O.S. Options

CPU Frequency

PCI Express clock

DDR Voltage

Chipset Voltage

Ht Voltage

Cpu Multiplier

Cpu Voltage

PCI Clock Synchronization Mode

My question is which one is the FSB…im following some good step by step instructions but my only problem is I cant find the FSB …

Is CPU FREQUENCY the FSB Control?

Sorry .. this sounds like such a newbie question… but its my first overclock!

jAkUp
12-10-05, 12:06 PM
I think its CPU frequency on that board.

If its set to 200MHz its probably the FSB.

When you OC, don't forget to lower the HTT to 4x, and adjust your memory ratio accordinly.

vert305
12-10-05, 01:00 PM
yep i did that...im following the Overclocking guide in the HardForums and im using clockgen to test the the FSB. and Memtest to see if it all works... its fun ..but takes alot of time!!!!!

vert305
12-10-05, 01:05 PM
Hey JakUp is see you are running OCZ 4000 Gold and (250X11) on your 4400 . do you think by me having OCZ 3500 that i will be able to reach 250X11.. or touch 2.7Ghz?

jAkUp
12-10-05, 02:18 PM
Possibly....

You will probably have to put alot of voltage, and increase your memory timings to do it.

OCZ ram is usually good with OC'ing. They can very frequently reach speeds much higher than they are rated for.

I am putting an insane amount of voltage into my CPU though. 1.62v. Anything less and it was unstable.

Sadly, I think the Asus board is only limited to 1.55v,

vert305
12-10-05, 02:50 PM
yea 1.55 is what i read to ... right now im at :

4400+

Core Speed: 2310Mhz
Multiplier: X11.0
FSB 210.1

without touching my voltage and its running just fine it added 200 more points to my 3dmark05. the memtest will not let me go over 210 without ajusting other things .. im still learning!

I need to boost up my ram and my voltage a little to get anything higher then that

But its just so hard to find a really good STEP BY STEP tutorial on overclocking .. i know there are a lot out there ..but they all say differ things and differ order.. its like everyone has there own method.

also .. may I ask anyone ..How long did it take for you to achieve your overclocking scores? some of these forums want me to run test for 24 hours for stability issues

$n][pErMan
12-10-05, 04:45 PM
yea 1.55 is what i read to ... right now im at :

4400+

Core Speed: 2310Mhz
Multiplier: X11.0
FSB 210.1

without touching my voltage and its running just fine it added 200 more points to my 3dmark05. the memtest will not let me go over 210 without ajusting other things .. im still learning!

I need to boost up my ram and my voltage a little to get anything higher then that

But its just so hard to find a really good STEP BY STEP tutorial on overclocking .. i know there are a lot out there ..but they all say differ things and differ order.. its like everyone has there own method.

also .. may I ask anyone ..How long did it take for you to achieve your overclocking scores? some of these forums want me to run test for 24 hours for stability issues
Overclocking is an art.... it takes some time to learn and get down... and there are only basic methods you can teach someone. Everyone has thier own little tricks or ways of getting a good OC. Much of the time it is completely random on how high you go based on your ram, CPU and mobo (xmasmile)

Belarnion
12-11-05, 03:52 AM
After a few dozen successful overclocks you build up a "feeling" for how far stuff overclocks. The first time takes a long time. The second time is quicker.
Now, I usually get within 95%++ of max overclock within an hour. (Before 24 hour testing)
This is how I do it:

1: Set HTT freq to 3x, mem divider to something low.
2: Increase CPU frequency 5MHz, run OCCT for 3 minutes.
3: If stable repeate 2.
4: When unstable increase CPU voltage till stable. (Point of diminishing results: about 1,55V on air)
5: If stable repeate 2.
6: Decrease CPU frequency by 10MHz. Often this will lead to stable machine. Now you've figured out max CPU speed.
7: (Run OCCT for 24 hours to be sure, if not stable decrease by a few MHz again. Stable 20 min, decrease 5MHz, stable 6 hours decrease 2MHz and so on)

7: Set HTT freq to 3x, mem divider to default, CPU multiplier to something low.
8: Increase CPU frequency by 5MHz, run Memtest86 test-5 one time.
9: If stable repeate 8. If unstable increase Vmem till stable. (You have to figure out what kind of voltage your memory can take)
10: Decrease CPU freguency by 5-10MHz.
11: Run Memtest86 test 5 for a few hours. Run OCCT for 24 hours.

12: If needed increase HTT multi untill you reach as close to 1000MHz HTT freq as possible.

ViN86
12-11-05, 11:38 AM
if you have any questions about OC'ing on that board, dont be afraid to drop me a PM. it took me a while to learn how to OC it (actually, to learn how to OC the athlon 64 in general) and if i were to post, itd be a really long post.
so, feel free to drop one ;)

vert305
12-11-05, 11:45 AM
Hey thanks alot guys ... :)

jAkUp
12-11-05, 01:24 PM
You don't need to lower your HTT all the way to 3x though. Unless you are running over a 250FSB.

Belarnion
12-11-05, 01:42 PM
Gotta be optimistic you know. ;)
Mine is at 280MHz...

jAkUp
12-11-05, 03:40 PM
haha yea, well in your case 3x HTT is pretty much a must :)