PDA

View Full Version : Recovering data from a damaged partition

Tuork
12-11-05, 01:42 PM
Two questions actually:

1) What happens if I have a gig of CL2.5 memory and add an extra 512MB of CL3 memory?

2) I did that, and it royally fudged up my primary partition on my HDD.
Says "Disk read error" or something like that when powering up. Secondary partition is ok, managed to save some important stuff.

Question is: Any tips/instructions on how to repair the primary partition?

Thanks.

superklye
12-11-05, 01:47 PM
That seems really weird that the RAM would cause a partition to get messed up. Have you taken the RAM out to see if everything works okay without it in?

Tuork
12-12-05, 02:10 AM
Yup... I have. Damage was irrepairable.

I even made things worse when trying to recover stuff from the damaged partition.

Kids, it's always important to have your backup up to date!

TierMann
12-12-05, 02:28 AM
Sometimes bad memory timings can screw up data (even more so with sata drives). If you put a different stick of 512 in there but didn't bump your timings down to match it and it can't handle the timings of the other set of ram (or vice versa) you could get anywhere from program crashes to lockups, or corruption.

You could try norton ghost if you have enough space to store a file as big as that partition and then try pulling data off the image instead. That would give you something solid to work with if that partition is getting more borked each time.

Another idea is to try and mount it (read only) in knoppix if you have a fat32 partition anywhere for storing the files you need from it.

Tuork
12-12-05, 02:57 AM
Ignore my sig. It's outdated.

Current memory: Geil ValueRAM 2*512MB Dual channel kit.
CL 2.5 -8-4-4 (Whatever the hell that means :p)

The stick that caused me a living hell: Kinsgton ValueRam
CL 3 -????
Reference: KVR400X64C3A/512

What would be the implications of going to the BIOS and setting the timings as CL3 rather than 2.5?
Hence, should I return the memory of lower the timings?

TierMann
12-12-05, 03:20 AM
Modules usually have a list of timings built in. If you put just that one 512 module in, boot up, run CPUZ, and look at the "SPD" tab you'll see a table with timings. The timings in your bios should match the timings for the frequency you're running it at (200mhz is default unless you're OC'ing).

There's no telling if the other 2 modules are going to like running at those timings though so that's why people tend to scrap the idea of running with mixed ram.