jAkUp
12-11-05, 01:18 PM
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2005/12/09/source_film_effects/1.html

(xmassign)

superklye
12-11-05, 01:43 PM
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2005/12/09/source_film_effects/1.html

(xmassign)
These seem cool and all, but wouldn't it be better for them to get Aftermath out first before committing themselves to more things that are going to take years to get out?

EDIT: and motion blur looks TERRIBLE.

EDIT: VALVe IS aware that the world was NOT grainy and blurry back in the 40s, right? Colors were just as bright and vision was just as clear as it is now.

Namrok
12-11-05, 01:51 PM
EDIT: VALVe IS aware that the world was NOT grainy and blurry back in the 40s, right? Colors were just as bright and vision was just as clear as it is now.

I'm with you on that. Special effects like those mentioned would be great for an immersive single player game, but last I checked DOD was pure multiplayer, so you know most people will just play with those effects turned off. It just makes no sense.

jAkUp
12-11-05, 01:52 PM
Yea I know..lol that grainy thing is just stupid.

OWA
12-11-05, 01:57 PM
Yeah, that was my thought also. Why go through the process of trying to make something realistic only to go in a completely different direction with something like film grain.

Some of the effects look interesting but hopefully everything will be options that can be turned on/off or tweaked.

agentkay
12-11-05, 02:20 PM
I downloaded the one movie with DOF and MB, and I have to say it looks quite interesting, and they definitly improve the szene. Both could be very nice during actual gameplay, IF the DOF is carefully used. I donīt want to see some strange blur wall in the distance or feel like I have an eye sight problem. DOF definitly needs to stay subtile and as realistic as possible. The MB effect on the other hand seems to be spot on and should be quite enjoyable during gamplay. Color correction is a nice effect as well and it can enhance the colors depending on the daytime and thats a good thing but film grain is horrible for anything but cutscenes. I also hope all these effects will be tweakable, and maybe only forced in cutscenes.

Edge
12-11-05, 04:33 PM
Those new effects look pretty nice, the DoF+motion blur video looks a good amount better than the normal version of the game. The film grain and color correction are a bit less useful, but it fits into DoD since it would give it that "gritty WW2 footage" look. Wouldn't be of much use in other games, however.

But for god's sake, when is Valve going to add a real lighting system to the engine?

killahsin
12-15-05, 04:09 AM
These seem cool and all, but wouldn't it be better for them to get Aftermath out first before committing themselves to more things that are going to take years to get out?

EDIT: and motion blur looks TERRIBLE.

Btw, they have a source engine team, so they will be always adding features to source, while their game teams work on games. They don't effect eachothers development now. Thats what makes source so interesting. And the motion blur looks fairly well done IN motion. and yes valve is aware in the real world these things didnt exist but they are also aware in the tv world they did exist and they are doing it for those that want the old ww2 flick feel. You won't be forced to use these effects. But a few of them you will definatly want to use.

EDit: edge i also hope they do somthing with the lighting but i would rather see radiosity bounces first.

Superfly
12-15-05, 08:48 AM
I think they suck ass

Zyme
12-26-05, 11:01 PM
when you use the scope on the evaporating particle weapon in F.E.A.R. it uses a depth of field effect. Very cool looking, in this limited application. (Not a source game, I know--but the visual effect is the subject, here.)
Z

Rakeesh
12-27-05, 02:25 AM
I don't think that should be used for singleplayer either. It would probably be a nice effect for maybe a cutscene or something, or possibly a flashback sequence of a storyline, but not for a whole game, be it singleplayer or multiplayer.

$n][pErMan
12-27-05, 06:01 PM
I don't think that should be used for singleplayer either. It would probably be a nice effect for maybe a cutscene or something, or possibly a flashback sequence of a storyline, but not for a whole game, be it singleplayer or multiplayer.
Maybe they added it for those people who make small movies out of games by pasting a bunch of demos together.... the only use I could see for it. (xmastong) Would look kind of cool for that stuff...

jolle
12-27-05, 06:12 PM
yeah, Machinimation should greatly benefit from it..
Motion blur should be nice for anyone in any game IMO, Depth of field can be cool if its subtle enough to not disrupt gameplay, IE hinder visibility..

Rakeesh
12-28-05, 01:11 AM
yeah, Machinimation should greatly benefit from it..
Motion blur should be nice for anyone in any game IMO

Depends on how they do it. Personally I've never liked motion blur. I remember when nvidia and 3dfx were hyping it along with FSAA when they were in stiff competition back in the day, and I remember thinking it wouldn't ever go anywhere. And in 5 years, so far it hasn't.

IMO if you want motion blur, get an LCD monitor with a high pixel response time :D

DaveW
12-28-05, 11:06 AM
IMO if you want motion blur, get an LCD monitor with a high pixel response time :D

Current motion blur effects and pretty much the same as that, its not true motion blur. True motion blur would blur between the previous AND next frames.

Depth of Field is good for cut scenes. Its pointless during play because its a focus effect, and you don't know what part of the screen the user is focusing on.

|MaguS|
12-28-05, 11:15 AM
I think the effects would be really nice in the Horror genre, I loved Silent Hills grain effect and with the motion blur you could do some wicked things to mess with peoples head.

NaitoSan
12-29-05, 02:27 AM
Take a look at Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) and Perfect Dark Zero (XBOX360) they uses motion blur effect really well. I hope they'd add that in source engine someday. =)