PDA

View Full Version : My review of the xbox 360

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

t6_shadow
12-11-05, 01:35 PM
Well I went out Saturday morning to see if I could find an xbox360 to buy, low and behold a Zellars near me had 4 preimum systems. I purchased one as well as copies of kameo, perfect dark and the VGA cable.

First off I don't know what people are complaining about with the noise the console makes. I mean you can hear the fan but its not exactly a jet engine or anything. While playing a game there is no possible way you can hear the noise. The power brick is very large as everyone knows. This is not too much of a problem but that cable that goes from the actual brick to the xbox could have been much larger. Other than that its fine.

Kameo is very fun and worth the purchase The controls are fine and the graphics are amazing. ( I am playing in 1024X768 with gameplay smooth as glass that I would say is running at at least 60 fps) I have not progressed far because I have been to busy playing PD0. PD0 is a fun run of the mill shooter because of its great graphics and quick based gameplay. The only problem is of course using a gamepad. I am knew at this but after playing the game now for some time (Over 12 hours for sure) the control scheme is a crime against god. Its virtually impossible to aim at enemies because you crosshair can never stay steady. And areas that would have been easy to complete with other control methods are extremely hard. Espcially when it comes to sniping.

All in all its seems to be a great console with superb graphics. Sadly I was proven right in that a controller is a useless input method for a FPS.

Nitz Walsh
12-11-05, 06:22 PM
Kameo is very fun and worth the purchase The controls are fine and the graphics are amazing. ( I am playing in 1024X768 with gameplay smooth as glass that I would say is running at at least 60 fps)
Kameo runs at 30fps.

Acid Rain
12-12-05, 07:12 PM
the control scheme is a crime against god. Its virtually impossible to aim at enemies because you crosshair can never stay steady. And areas that would have been easy to complete with other control methods are extremely hard. Espcially when it comes to sniping.

All in all its seems to be a great console with superb graphics. Sadly I was proven right in that a controller is a useless input method for a FPS.Yup. The truth may hurt, but it's there, nonetheless. Fumblesticks may work well for other genres, but they really shouldn't be used for FPS games at all.

t6_shadow
12-17-05, 06:44 PM
After play almost constant PDZ I can say with a shadow of a doubt that the controller is virtually useless. Multiplayer games are almost completely luck. Keyboard and mouse is the only method from which FPS should be played.

I dunno what I am gonna do but more than likely sell this great system on ebay because of lack of support.

GamerGuyX
12-18-05, 12:00 AM
Sadly I was proven right in that a controller is a useless input method for a FPS.

Oh please, spare us the BS. I love playing FPS' with a controller especially the 360's. Hell, I am going as far as to say that prefer playing FPS' with a controller. It's not that hard, really it's not. One stick controls movement, the other controls where you look. Simple.

Oh and if you think the 360's controller is bad for FPS', then I'd hate to see you try to play one with a Gamecube or PS2 controller. :udawg:

I dunno what I am gonna do but more than likely sell this great system on ebay because of lack of support.

Lack of support? What lack of support? KB&M support? Please, its a console. Console's use controllers. KB&M support is a bonus for consoles and not a necessity. Treat it as such.

Ninjaman09
12-18-05, 09:47 AM
Didn't you already rant about FPS controls on a gamepad in another thread? You're in the minority here. Console games play perfectly fine with gamepads. I've never seen anyone make such a huge deal about it as you have.

ENU291
12-18-05, 10:06 AM
Didn't you already rant about FPS controls on a gamepad in another thread? You're in the minority here. Console games play perfectly fine with gamepads. I've never seen anyone make such a huge deal about it as you have.
Playing FPS games on a gamepad is pure frustration. If the game has a slower pace like Condemned its not so bad but a game like PD0 sucks with a gamepad...

GamerGuyX
12-18-05, 03:23 PM
Playing FPS games on a gamepad is pure frustration. If the game has a slower pace like Condemned its not so bad but a game like PD0 sucks with a gamepad...

Maybe it's just YOU that sucks with a controller. I love playing PD0 with a controller.

Tyr-Sog
12-18-05, 03:53 PM
I've personally had no problems play fps with a gamepad.

Gaco
12-18-05, 04:29 PM
Me neither. Halo and Halo 2 was fantastic with the Xbox Controller, especially after a couple hours of warmup :D

GamerGuyX
12-18-05, 04:44 PM
Me neither. Halo and Halo 2 was fantastic with the Xbox Controller, especially after a couple hours of warmup :D

Maybe t6_shadow needs to take Ruined's advice for Haloish controls:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60852&page=2

a12ctic
12-18-05, 05:08 PM
i also hate controllers

GamerGuyX
12-18-05, 05:21 PM
i also hate controllers

Well since we are on the topic of things we hate, I hate people that hate controllers. Like you!

ENU291
12-18-05, 05:28 PM
We all have our own preferences. There is no need for you to get personal and start offending people. Lets try to act like adults around here.

MustangSVT
12-18-05, 05:42 PM
While I agree that KB&M provides more accurate and more "complex" control in a FPS, I don't have a problem with playing FPS on a gamepad. I don't understand how you can say the controller is virtually useless. I don't have the X360 controller, but from what I've heard it's at the least as good as the regular Xbox controller. And having an Xbox and having played Halo, Halo 2, Unreal Championship 2, TimeSplitters 2 and others with the XB gamepad, those games were a blast. It took 10 to 15 minutes to fully adjust to the controller the first time I played Halo at a friend's house. I did not find them annoying at all using the gamepad, the games were a lot of fun.

GamerGuyX
12-18-05, 05:56 PM
We all have our own preferences.

Exactly. a12ctic didn't exactly post a mature, well thought out response. More like flame bait if you ask me. ;)

npras42
12-18-05, 07:05 PM
I actually would hate it if FPS on X360 and PS3 started allowing people to use KB&M.

I actually prefer KB&M because it is IMHO much quicker to get into and there is very little difference between different games, where as controllers feel different according to the game. I havent actually even played an X360 but I've heard there is some sort of Universal settings you can make so it evens it out between games. So thats good...

However, the reason I say I dont like the idea of KB&M on consoles for FPS is because it makes it a little unfair. I and most other people would be better at KB&M I think and when playing online would make it quite unfair, because to be a level playing ground everyone would have to have a KB&M setup. Not so easy to setup in front of your TV!

Also, when just playing at home with your friends multiplayer, who gets the KB&M? I'm sure no-one will keep 4 sets of those around for people to play with and also have some sort of surface to put them on as well...

Lastly, playing with controllers is NOT THAT HARD! I'm never going to be as good with controller as i am with KB&M but I'm still faring pretty well, and so has everyone else I've seen play. Even non-regular gamers. Honestly, if after an hour of playing FPS with a controller you're still crap then I'd stay away from consoles in general, because you need at least a small amount of 'controller ability' to play simpler games like racing sims where to be good you need a good analogue throttle and braking control. Also many platformers use the other 'stick' for looking too, and if you cant co-ordinate it then you'll find that hard too! Face it you must suck at console. ;)

I have played a lot of FPS on XBOX and also a few on PS2 and really not had any problem with either. I think XBOX generally gets the thumbs up around here but I'd go for PS2 controller, except for most PS2 FPS are crap! :)

Blkout
12-20-05, 12:43 PM
Maybe it's just YOU that sucks with a controller. I love playing PD0 with a controller.

Or maybe I would crush you with a keyboard and mouse. Let me ask you the same thing I ask every console gamer when its comes to FPS games when they start raving about how good a gamepad is for FPS, when is the last time you saw a pro gamer in a FPS tournament using a gamepad?

NEVER!

And don't tell me they don't make gamepads for PC's because there are plenty to choose from. The fact is, when it comes to FPS, a KB&M is ALWAYS far more accurate, and accuracy means life or death.

jAkUp
12-20-05, 12:47 PM
Of course its less accurate. This is exactly the reason why Epic said that they are trying to balance the KB/M and Gampad users to allow online play with PC and seXBox.

Blkout
12-20-05, 12:51 PM
Of course its less accurate. This is exactly the reason why Epic said that they are trying to balance the KB/M and Gampad users to allow online play with PC and seXBox.

Oh, I know this, just trying to set the record straight for those people that are insulting those that simply don't like gamepads for FPS.

jAkUp
12-20-05, 12:59 PM
I don't like gampad's either, but I suppose I could get used to it if I really tried, but I don't have much of a desire to.

GamerGuyX
12-20-05, 06:08 PM
Or maybe I would crush you with a keyboard and mouse. Let me ask you the same thing I ask every console gamer when its comes to FPS games when they start raving about how good a gamepad is for FPS, when is the last time you saw a pro gamer in a FPS tournament using a gamepad?

Well let me ask you something, why would hardcore PC gamers use a controller when it's very obvious that they grew up playing on KB&M. Obviously they are not going to use a controller in a tournament when they are not use to using a controller. Especially when huge amounts of money is on the line.

Oh, I know this, just trying to set the record straight for those people that are insulting those that simply don't like gamepads for FPS.

If anybody is insulting anything it's you. Your the one so hell bent on putting controllers down when its compared to KB&M. I love KB&M for FPS games for the record but I happen to prefer a controller like the 360's. Besides, I am only defending controllers against people that won't give it a chance (like a12ctic for example).

Get off you high horse...

Bitch.

killahsin
12-20-05, 08:35 PM
in all my years in competition gameplay i only knw one dude who could own it up with a controller. and thatw as way back in the days in hl1 dm. He was sick. So i know its quite possible to become as good with a controller if it allows u to configure it up properlly. He didnt use d pads and so forth for movement mouselook. But other then that controller gamers have always been rpg bounced.

evilchris
12-21-05, 01:08 AM

NEVER!

And don't tell me they don't make gamepads for PC's because there are plenty to choose from. The fact is, when it comes to FPS, a KB&M is ALWAYS far more accurate, and accuracy means life or death.

101 keys enhanced accuracy?

Blkout
12-27-05, 11:13 AM
Well let me ask you something, why would hardcore PC gamers use a controller when it's very obvious that they grew up playing on KB&M. Obviously they are not going to use a controller in a tournament when they are not use to using a controller. Especially when huge amounts of money is on the line.

If anybody is insulting anything it's you. Your the one so hell bent on putting controllers down when its compared to KB&M. I love KB&M for FPS games for the record but I happen to prefer a controller like the 360's. Besides, I am only defending controllers against people that won't give it a chance (like a12ctic for example).

Get off you high horse...

Bitch.

Wow what a mature post, just turned 19 years old, I guess that explains it. Just goes to show you that age is just a number and in no way is a reflection of one's maturity level. Is "Bitch" the best you could come up with that big brain of yours?

Sounds like you got your wittle feewings hurt.......

I think you're going to live, Francis.