PDA

View Full Version : Official Christmas games recommendation thread!

Pages : [1] 2

CaptNKILL
12-11-05, 11:01 PM
This should be a sticky!

Post some recent (from the past 2-3 years) games you think people should get! Put a small description too so people know what kind of game it is. If you know where to get a demo or know of good reviews on them, post those too!

Anything goes... even if its a big name game, someone might not have it yet.

Just to get these out of the way:

Quake 4 - FPS, if you dont know what this is, just look around a little :p

FEAR - FPS, same as above.

EDIT: Preferebly just PC games, because theres going to be a MILLION console games in here if we list all games.

Mr. Hunt
12-11-05, 11:17 PM
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2) Stealh/Action- Great game with an amazing story and it is probably 15-20 bucks.

Shadow of the Collosus (PS2)Action/Adventure/Platformer- Great game, decent story and it looks very nice (not graphically great, but its art style is awesome). Not a long game if you just beat it once and don't unlock the extra items. 40 bucks

Resident Evil 4 (GC and PS2)Action/Horror- Great game that revived a game that many thought was going down the drain (I personally enjoyed RE0). Story is pretty well done and it has a good deal of unlockables that should make the game last a while. Also, it looks very good. 40 or 50 bucks (can't remember right now :\)

Ninja Gaiden Black (XBOX)Action- Great update to the original Xbox version that includes the hurricane packs and extra missions. Gameplay is fast and awesome, but the game is quite challenging, so if you frustrate easy... stay away ;). 30 bucks.

God of War (PS2)Action- Amazing game that looks great for a PS2 title and is another challenging game that should last you a while, especially if you try to unlock everything.

That is all I can think of right now :\.

Kev1
12-11-05, 11:18 PM
For PC:

1) Call Of Duty 2

2) Need For Speed: Most Wanted

Those 2 are at top of my list. I have Quake 4 but if I didn't it would be #1 on my Xmas list (xmasgrin) Great game.

CaptNKILL
12-11-05, 11:55 PM
Heh, I guess I should have said PC games... but dont worry about it, keep em coming :D

Mr. Hunt
12-11-05, 11:58 PM
Heh, I guess I should have said PC games... but dont worry about it, keep em coming :D

Sowwy :(.

jAkUp
12-11-05, 11:59 PM
Fear

NFS Most Wanted

A preorder for UT2007!!!

CaptNKILL
12-12-05, 12:33 AM
Sowwy :(.
Aww, s'ok :hug:

I think Im probably going to get the Indigo Prophecy and maybe Gothic 2... wouldnt mind having a few more though :D

EDIT: Oh yeah, I was thinking about Guild Wars, but I wanted to try it first. I made an account when it was in a free beta a year or so ago, but the account isnt valid any more. Is there any way to get some sort of demo account? If not, I probably wont get it. It didnt really seem like anything special when I played it before, but some friends have been raving about it lately so I thought I might give it another try... not for $40 though ;)

Mr. Hunt
12-12-05, 12:37 AM
Ah... yeah you should definitely get Farenheit (or however you spell it... the uncut version of Indigo Prophecy from what I understand)... quite fun and a nice change of pace from most of the other stuff that has came out lately... and the story can branch off quite a bit so multiple playthroughs are nice for new endings/scenes.

CaptNKILL
12-12-05, 12:46 AM
Ah... yeah you should definitely get Farenheit (or however you spell it... the uncut version of Indigo Prophecy from what I understand)... quite fun and a nice change of pace from most of the other stuff that has came out lately... and the story can branch off quite a bit so multiple playthroughs are nice for new endings/scenes.
Is it really any different than the PC version of Indigo Prophecy? Its about $10 more on GoGamer.com and its an import. I thought it was just an alternate title for the same game.

I just downloaded the demo and it was reaallly short... but man, that was freaking SWEET. I cant wait to play more. Plus, its made by QuanticDream, the makers of Omikron: The Nomad Soul. That game had some crappy parts, but overall was really really cool, not to mention unique (and it had David Bowie... how can you go wrong with David Bowie in a game!?).

nutcrackr
12-12-05, 12:54 AM
Darwinia on Steam (http://storefront.steampowered.com/v2/index.php?area=game&AppId=1500&l=english&s=0&i=&a=92,219) - $18 is a nice price for a great game (cheers)

CaptNKILL
12-12-05, 12:59 AM
Darwinia on Steam (http://storefront.steampowered.com/v2/index.php?area=game&AppId=1500&l=english&s=0&i=&a=92,219) - $18 is a nice price for a great game (cheers)
The demo of that was sweet... I didnt realize they were selling it on Steam.

Mr. Hunt
12-12-05, 01:02 AM
Is it really any different than the PC version of Indigo Prophecy? Its about $10 more on GoGamer.com and its an import. I thought it was just an alternate title for the same game.

I just downloaded the demo and it was reaallly short... but man, that was freaking SWEET. I cant wait to play more. Plus, its made by QuanticDream, the makers of Omikron: The Nomad Soul. That game had some crappy parts, but overall was really really cool, not to mention unique (and it had David Bowie... how can you go wrong with David Bowie in a game!?).

Well I read it was different... I played Farenheit (gosh, I hate that word :\), and only it... so I can't say if there is definitely a difference... there might not be any at all... I just remember reading that back right before it came out.

CaptNKILL
12-12-05, 01:11 AM
Well I read it was different... I played Farenheit (gosh, I hate that word :\), and only it... so I can't say if there is definitely a difference... there might not be any at all... I just remember reading that back right before it came out.
Ah ok. I read around a bit and it sounds like they are the same game. They even have the same box, just different words (in the same font :p). I'll probably just get Indigo Prophecy.

PSYCHODAD
12-12-05, 04:41 AM
AoE3

Just finished playing a lan game of AoE3 and it was great. Some of the neatest effects I've ever seen in a game.

karkrash81
12-12-05, 11:12 AM
I would heartily recommend Psychonauts. It's one of the funnest and most original (art wise and thematically) games I've played in a while.

shaker718
12-12-05, 03:06 PM
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2) Stealh/Action- Great game with an amazing story and it is probably 15-20 bucks.

Just got it for 14bucks at the gamestop in the east village, so far Im not disappointed, it is metal gear solid after all, but man am I rusty with the PS2 controller after more than 2 years of not touching the thing other than to play dvd's
(xmastong)

j0j081
12-13-05, 09:28 AM
Some older games I'm sure you can get for really cheap now are...
-NOLF 1 + 2, great fps that has a sense of humor
-Age of Mythology and expansion, wish they would update it to look like AOEIII
-Riddick

Tygerwoody
12-13-05, 10:02 AM
Fear

NFS Most Wanted

A preorder for UT2007!!!
when is that coming out btw?

killahsin
12-14-05, 06:52 PM
If your a gamer and don't own psychonauts by this christmas, your getting coal!(mikec) Quite seriously. As for my games, nfs most wanted, aoe3, gun, thats my wishlist.

CaptNKILL
12-16-05, 03:25 AM
Hey, if anyone has an EB in their area, check this out:
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/groups/hotdeals/pcgames.asp

They are having a lot of smoking deals on some good games. I read the reviews on a few and they sound good:
Project Snowblind
Second Sight
Prisoner of War

And I own (actually 2 copies of...) Mobile Forces. That game is AWESOME. Its an excellent game to just sit down and blow through a few hilarious action packed rounds. The graphics arent anything to write home about (even for 2002) but its a great game and an absolute steal for $2. I payed $20 for it and I lost it at a LAN party a year later so I bought it again for $10 just recently. Loads of fun.

Heh, for all 4 of those games I listed you would only have to spend $35! Gothic 2 Gold edition is only $20 as well, so I think I might pick that up if I can find it.

Mr. Hunt
12-16-05, 02:58 PM
Oh snap... Dino Crisis 2 is awesome... PICK THAT UP! I used to play that game so freaking much on my PSX... it is awesome.

EDIT: And The Punisher... that game is fun... graphics are a bit poor... but I loved that freaking game.

SDinc
12-18-05, 10:50 PM
I just bought X3 for myself. (Can't open untils Santa officially delivers). Hopefully, the new patch will be out by then :)

CaptNKILL
12-18-05, 11:32 PM
I just bought X3 for myself. (Can't open untils Santa officially delivers). Hopefully, the new patch will be out by then :)
I want a damn demo, Ive had my eye on that game for a while but I deffinitely need to try it first because I never play space sims.

Superfly
12-19-05, 04:44 AM
X3 patch is out this week - before Friday.

cant wait X3 is awesome.

Edge
12-19-05, 05:06 AM
Oh snap... Dino Crisis 2 is awesome... PICK THAT UP! I used to play that game so freaking much on my PSX... it is awesome.
I used to play that game to death. I have no idea why, but I probably played through it like 7 or 8 times. For some reason the gameplay was just so fun, and it was short enough that playing through it wasn't really some huge chore. But $15? Yeesh, did they raise their prices...I picked it up from EB when it was on clearance for $2.