PDA

View Full Version : Is this HDTV anny good? Info needed.

Pages : [1] 2

PeterJensen
12-12-05, 11:35 AM
Hi all :)

So i want to give my x360 a nice xmas present (xmastong) . I found this HDTV to a decent price here in Denmark.

http://www.sony.dk/view/ShowProduct.action?product=KLV-S32A10E&site=odw_da_DK&pageType=TechnicalSpecs&category=TVP+LCD+TV

I know it is on danish but is the specs anny good?

(xmassign)

Mr. Hunt
12-12-05, 12:31 PM
You people and your "fancy" LCD TVs :).

Well if I am reading it right (ja = yes, right? :\)... it looks pretty good... but I am just not a fan of any TV other than the good old CRT direct view tube.

But it looks good enough... component and HDMI inputs from the looks of it (Komponent - ja)

PeterJensen
12-12-05, 12:33 PM
ja = yes :)=

Mr. Hunt
12-12-05, 12:36 PM
Ok... then I guess it would be good if you are into that sort of thing ;).

But if space/weight isn't an issue... you really should look at the sony XBR line of CRT direct views.

PeterJensen
12-12-05, 12:45 PM
uhmm do you have a link for some of those?

And anny one have a link for a good HDTV forum where i can pick some info up?

Mr. Hunt
12-12-05, 12:48 PM
avsforum.com has a bunch of members who know a crapload more than I do.

And I couldn't find any of the XBRs on that site you linked to.

But here (http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=96194&cmSearchKeyword=XBR) is the one evilchris says is the best CRT direct view set you will get.

PeterJensen
12-12-05, 12:53 PM
uhmm i think im gonna go for this Sony tv. But damn buying a HDTV is harder then i thought. Hard to find decent reviews.

Mr. Hunt
12-12-05, 12:56 PM
uhmm i think im gonna go for this Sony tv. But damn buying a HDTV is harder then i thought. Hard to find decent reviews.

Well it all depends also... do you get OTA (over the air) HD broadcasts locally that you could pick up with an antenna? If not then you don't need a tuner built in... HD-Ready would be just fine for you, as they are cheaper and the only thing really missing is the ability to get OTA HD broadcasts.

PeterJensen
12-12-05, 12:59 PM
we dont get HD over air here in Denmark yet. I do have the posibility to get "Canal Digital", they have 1 channel for HDTV movies. But you get a free decoder from them.

MustangSVT
12-12-05, 01:31 PM
I've got a TV with the same resolution and made by Sony if that's any help.

Mine's not an LCD HDTV, it's a 36" CRT Wega, and it's got the 1366x768 native resolution just like the one you posted and supports 720p and 1080i. I get like 10 channels in 1080i HD which includes Movie Central (HBO basically), TSN (ESPN basically), SportsNet, and some others so I see all my fav. shows in 1080i.

Anyway, my TV looks fantastic. I haven't tried an X360 on it as I don't have one and won't have one anytime soon either, but I'm pretty confident that yours will probably look just as good if not better. My TV is 3 years old, I bought it when HDTV's weren't a big thing like today.

Acid Rain
12-12-05, 08:03 PM
I am just not a fan of any TV other than the good old CRT direct view tube. Meh. Wait till you have to move a 40 inch XBR. I look quite favorably on DLP, LCD and Plasma, now. During my move I think I permanently hosed my back...well, maybe not permanently, but damn...

Peter, it's a decent set. Snag her up! (xmasgrin)

PeterJensen
12-13-05, 02:22 AM
Meh. Wait till you have to move a 40 inch XBR. I look quite favorably on DLP, LCD and Plasma, now. During my move I think I permanently hosed my back...well, maybe not permanently, but damn...

Peter, it's a decent set. Snag her up! (xmasgrin)

(xmassign) Will do :)

agentkay
12-13-05, 05:49 AM
Peter, let me know if you find the XBR in Danish stores. I canīt find any Sony HDTV CRTs here in Germany, just LCDs. Thanks!

Mathesar
12-13-05, 12:07 PM
Ok... then I guess it would be good if you are into that sort of thing ;).

But if space/weight isn't an issue... you really should look at the sony XBR line of CRT direct views.

Bingo ..You'd be suprised how much better the XBR CRTs look image quality wise versus any LCD. They simply cannot be beat.

Toss3
12-14-05, 09:59 AM
Peter, let me know if you find the XBR in Danish stores. I canīt find any Sony HDTV CRTs here in Germany, just LCDs. Thanks!
I don't even think you can even get one here in Europe.. not 100% sure though :-/

MustangSVT
12-14-05, 10:27 AM
I would recommend against buying a CRT HDTV like the Wega and the XBR. Sure they look good, but:

#1 - not widescreen ratio, it does letterbox for HDTV so black bars at top and bottom

#2 - the screen size is much smaller, on the 34" which is the only widescreen one I think you get 34", on the 36" regular you also get about 33-34" or so, and on the 40" you get like 36" or 37"

#3 - way too heavy

My 36" Wega Hdtv Crt is way too heavy. It was a good deal when I bought it 3 years ago and it's a really good TV, but would I buy one now? No. It's a HUGE tv. It weighs like 150kg. If you want to move it, you have to bring 2 really strong people and you can't really move it to another room if you like it.

So my advice is go with the LCD TV, or DLP projection, or LCD projection, or something like that which is much less lightweight, offers nice screen size (42" to 50") or 32" for that LCD which is also nice.

PeterJensen
12-14-05, 10:27 AM
Well i dont want a big ass mofo of a TV :) One of the points of me getting a LCD is to get more room :)

PeterJensen
12-14-05, 10:28 AM
Also im getting the Sony LCD the. 23th December :D

agentkay
12-14-05, 10:55 AM
Congrats! Make sure you write a small review or PM it to me! :D I was interested in the Sony KLV-S32A10E as well but I found nowhere detailed reviews. Thanks a lot in advance!

PeterJensen
12-14-05, 05:02 PM
Congrats! Make sure you write a small review or PM it to me! :D I was interested in the Sony KLV-S32A10E as well but I found nowhere detailed reviews. Thanks a lot in advance!

I will do that. It is really hard to find good reviews of LCD HDTV Screens :(

GamerGuyX
12-14-05, 06:09 PM
I would recommend against buying a CRT HDTV like the Wega and the XBR. Sure they look good, but:

#1 - not widescreen ratio, it does letterbox for HDTV so black bars at top and bottom

That doesn't make sense. I own the KD-34XBR960 and it works flawlessly with widescreen content. There is no letterboxing at all on 1.85:1 content. You do know the difference between 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 aspect ratio's right?

Oh and for the record, I would recommend buying a CRT HDTV. I mean seriously, how many times is one going to move the TV anyways? Besides, people should value picture quality over anything else when it comes to HDTV's. If not, whats the point of paying for an HDTV?

Mathesar
12-14-05, 06:35 PM

#2 - the screen size is much smaller, on the 34" which is the only widescreen one I think you get 34", on the 36" regular you also get about 33-34" or so, and on the 40" you get like 36" or 37"

#3 - way too heavy

My 36" Wega Hdtv Crt is way too heavy. It was a good deal when I bought it 3 years ago and it's a really good TV, but would I buy one now? No. It's a HUGE tv. It weighs like 150kg. If you want to move it, you have to bring 2 really strong people and you can't really move it to another room if you like it.

So my advice is go with the LCD TV, or DLP projection, or LCD projection, or something like that which is much less lightweight, offers nice screen size (42" to 50") or 32" for that LCD which is also nice.

When it comes down to it my main priority is Image Quality which is why I still prefer a high end CRT over any other display type, also the 34" XBR is Widescreen format ,not 4:3 like you claim.

Acid Rain
12-14-05, 10:35 PM
If you want to move it, you have to bring 2 really strong people and you can't really move it to another room if you like it. No kidding. My 40 is supposed to weigh 305 pounds, but I swear it's 400. When I bought it I was advised that they are 400+ pounds, regardless of what the specs say. I'm inclined to believe it. So is my back. I had to go up a couple flights of stairs to get it where I want it in my new house. Never again! The movers can handle it next time. Actually, it'll just be replaced by the best plasma I can afford, by then.

Besides, people should value picture quality over anything else when it comes to HDTV's. If not, whats the point of paying for an HDTV?Have you seen the newest and best plasma, DLP or LCD setups?

Some of them are certainly a match for my XBR CRT. When I bought it 3 years ago, it was the finest screen money could buy, but that's changed. Yeah, I know, it's been three years, but honestly, the crt technologies still haven't surpassed what's built into the 40 incher.

GamerGuyX
12-14-05, 11:02 PM
Have you seen the newest and best plasma, DLP or LCD setups?

Obviously. Seeing as how I bought my XBR960 less than a month ago. Even then the XBR960 was unmatched.

ajay()
12-15-05, 10:19 AM
I don't want to hijack this thread, but nor do I want to start yet another "is this any good for hd 360" type one.
Anyway I can't afford an hdtv, so I'm aiming for using a pc monitor via the vga cable. I've a limited budget even for that so am looking at this:
MONITOR (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/electronics/B000CCB0OG/system-requirements/ref=ed_tec_dp_2_1/202-2791909-9028608)
I've a number of questions:
- 8ms should be fast enough...?
- Would it display a good quality hd widescreen image from the 360? WIll I need to tinker with it/the 360, or would it do it automatically?
- as it has no speakers, what are the connectors from the vga cable and what sort of connection on seperate speakers would i need?

Thanks very much for all and any help.

Cheers

ajay