PDA

View Full Version : Robohordes - first demo using the unreal 3 engine is out

Pages : [1] 2

Tork64
12-12-05, 06:14 PM
sorry if repost, found it on rage3d.

demo: http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/developer/asmo-na/eng/dc/digitalhome/234133.htm

screens: http://www.gamershell.com/pc/robohordes/screenshots.html?id=6

jAkUp
12-12-05, 06:19 PM
DL'ing now :D

EDIT:

This game looks pretty cool:

eveloped by Naked Sky Entertainment, the RoboHordes demo was commissioned by Intel to show off the power of the company's new dual-core processor. RoboHordes is also the first application to use the Unreal Engine 3 at a playable framerate and on top of that, Naked Sky Entertainment used AGEIA’s Novodex API to continually simulate the physics at 200 fps.

Can you tell us what the concept RoboHordes consist of? (In regards to gameplay, and the objective of the demo)

Dave Taylor: You use Quake-like controls (Halo-like on a gamepad) to control a robot in a tight arena where you battle waves of baddies. You get a variety of traps and weapons to choose from. Because everything in the game is simulated with physics, you can also use the environment to your advantage, such as trapping the enemy with deformable terrain. There isn’t a single frame of hand animation in RoboHordes. The game is inspired by twitchy, coin-op arcade classics. The goal is old school- to get a high score. You only get one life and try to last as long as you can.

slick
12-12-05, 06:22 PM
DL'ing now :D

Right behind yas (xmasgrin)

Superfly
12-12-05, 06:23 PM
would'nt install for me - got an error just before it finished.

Tork64
12-12-05, 06:28 PM
would'nt install for me - got an error just before it finished.

me too, weird. The guy on rage3d said he also had the problem, but that it worked for others.

DoomUK
12-12-05, 06:35 PM
Naked Sky Entertainment used AGEIA’s Novodex API to continually simulate the physics at 200 fps.

So, presumably, to get the whole 100% of features out of this demo one would need an (tba) AGEIA Physics card/PPU?

Superfly
12-12-05, 06:37 PM
you need it to actually install first.

Superfly
12-12-05, 06:42 PM
I hope its not an Intel only thing!! maybe thats why it did'nt work, it does say it was commissioned to show off "there" dual core CPU's.

niether of which I have.

Nutty
12-12-05, 06:48 PM
Doubt its that.. seems to be a problem with the installer.

Tork64
12-12-05, 06:49 PM
I was able to keep the installed files, once it came up with that message i ctrl + alt deleted and stopped process.

But here it says in one of their txt files

-------------------------------
1. System Requirements
-------------------------------

Operating System
Windows® XP SP2

Processor
Genuine Intel® Processor (3GHz+) supporting Hyper-Threading Technology
(Intel® Dual-Core Processor supporting Hyper-Threading Technology recommended)

Memory
512 MB RAM
(1 GB recommended)

Hard Disk Space
762 MB Free

Video
NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6200 or better
ATI® Radeon™ 9800 or better

Sound
Windows® XP-compatible 16-bit sound card

DirectX®
DirectX® version 9.0c or higher

-----------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------

and here is the log of the error

Log: Log file open, 12/12/05 15:31:28
Init: Name subsystem initialized
Init: Version: 610
Init: Compiled: Apr 9 2005 21:38:59
Init: Command line:
Init: Base directory: D:\Program Files\robo\Binaries\
Init: Character set: Unicode
Init: Object subsystem initialized
Init: Computer: ONEG4YZFEYQ9MX
Init: User: theone
Init: CPU Page size=4096, Processors=1
Critical: appError called:
Critical: Franz Liszt was born on October 22, 1811 in Raiding, Hungary.
Critical: Windows GetLastError: The system cannot find the file specified. (2)
Log: Critical Error, Bucko:

ROBOGame.exe

Franz Liszt was born on October 22, 1811 in Raiding, Hungary.

DoomUK
12-12-05, 06:57 PM
Won't let me install either :(.

einstein_314
12-12-05, 08:36 PM
Hmm, I'm getting the same error too. Do you think you need an intel CPU? The minimum system requirements do say you need a genuine intel processor. That would be lame if that is how it is.

Infinity666
12-12-05, 10:23 PM
That installer seems to be sorta coruppt
finaly having an intel pays off....not really
http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/8093/robohordes11av.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/972/robohordes27uj.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

aAv7
12-12-05, 10:32 PM
will this ever work on an amd cpu?

Infinity666
12-12-05, 10:34 PM
pretty sure its the installer I got the same errors but after i tried instaling the first time i restarted and installed again this time it worked

Blackcat
12-12-05, 11:32 PM
Installed no problem for me. Maybe it is an intel thing. Anyways, have only played a litlle but its a cool game. Nice graphics . Ran smooth at 1280x786 so I am happy to know I can play Unreal games on this computer. Not the type of game I thought would be used with this engine, but I like it. A lot of shooting and nonstop action.

Acid Rain
12-13-05, 03:19 AM
Wow, that looks really, basic...

DoomUK
12-13-05, 05:57 AM
Wow, that looks really, basic...

Look at the surface quality/lighting of the player's avatar in the first pic...

Acid Rain
12-13-05, 07:34 AM
Look at the surface quality/lighting of the player's avatar in the first pic...It's decent, yes, but I feel I've already seen that before, perhaps even on the original Xbox. Well, maybe not that realistic, but close. The shadowing doesn't seem special at all, either. I've definitely seen better. The engine is fantastic, we all know that, and I'm sure we'll see far better out of it soon enough, even at highly playable levels. I have a feeling this demo will be forgotton very quickly.

jolle
12-13-05, 09:34 AM
not really pushing any limits of the engine capabilities here..
but as expected the first titles on a new engine usually doesnt, let hardware catch up and you can use alot heavier content..
plus this doesnt seem like the big graphics heavy type of title..

Tork64
12-13-05, 09:55 AM
im dying to try this out, always wanted to see unreal engine 3 on my computer. Is there a program like 3d analyze but for cpu's ?

Bad_Boy
12-13-05, 10:12 AM
no worky here. :(
im also on amd btw.

sMull
12-13-05, 10:39 AM
Looks like it's for Intel only, hilarious considering how many people game on Intel :lol:

EatFresh
12-13-05, 10:56 AM
millions?

Tygerwoody
12-13-05, 11:16 AM
Looks like it's for Intel only, hilarious considering how many people game on Intel :lol:
DOZENS!!! Literally dozens...