PDA

View Full Version : DirectX 9.0c Distro updates??

d2thez
12-13-05, 03:08 PM
I always see postings on webpages about DirectX 9.0c SDK updates and Distro updates and stuff. I now see the December edition of all of the above things have been released.

Am I supposed to update these things or is it possible? I donwloaded the newest Distro and executed it, but it didn't appear to update anything and when I checked DXDIAG to see if any files had been updated, none were.

Am I missing something here?

Demirug
12-13-05, 03:14 PM
The SDK updates only contains new Direct3D Extension (D3DX) und Managed DirectX DLL. If a program need this DLLs it should include them in it's own setup.

We have written a little tool that reports which of this DLLs are on your system: http://www.nonatainment.de/web/Tools/DirectXCheck/tabid/63/Default.aspx

Peoples-Agent
12-13-05, 10:11 PM
What about the December End User update that's out?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3F2828FA-0E3C-4837-AFC0-6C67DCAA54BF&displaylang=en

RAY16
12-13-05, 11:59 PM
You don't have to update DirectX to these new releases unless you run into a game that requires it, unless of course you just like to always have the newest crap..which in the case of NFSMW's poorly coded installer is a problem because if you have anything newer than the June update you can't install the game.

Superfly
12-14-05, 03:35 AM
You don't have to update DirectX to these new releases unless you run into a game that requires it, unless of course you just like to always have the newest crap..which in the case of NFSMW's poorly coded installer is a problem because if you have anything newer than the June update you can't install the game.

(not 100% true) I have the October update and had no problems with either the demo or the full game.

As for this December update I did'nt know there was one.

EverGreen
12-14-05, 08:46 AM

Yes and no, there is an option to bypass the install option, EA mutters already on the install problem with the demo version. If the demo can't installed the full game would also not working and all this ennoying fun is a checker option in the autorun.cfg file DirectXVersion=9.0c must changed in DirectXVersion=0 !
But its impossible to change the autorun.cfg file on the retail disc and so only with the demo could this file be changed, so i installed the demo and did manual copy the files from the orginal disk to the install spot on my hd, the game is now working...

(xmassign)

RAY16
12-14-05, 10:48 AM
Either way, their installer was poorly configured.

d2thez
12-14-05, 12:50 PM
So, if I go to the link Peoples-Agent posted and download and execute the December updated distro, will it update DirectX on my system at all?

rewt
12-14-05, 01:18 PM
Yes. But is there any particular reason you need the December DX9 runtimes update? As already mentioned, if a particular game requires the updated runtimes, then they should be installed by the game's installer.

d2thez
12-14-05, 03:15 PM
No other reason then when I reformat, I like to be totally up to date as possible on all front. I would rather get all the updates from Microsoft instead of relying on a potentially dodgy installer from a game.

SLippe
12-14-05, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I installed the October update and NFSMW Demo runs fine. I too like to have the most updated Drivers and such as well, but will get the December version later.

rewt
12-14-05, 11:46 PM
Many times a reinstall of a game is not necessary when reinstalling the OS, as long as the game resides on a separate partition. If you get an error such as "missing d3d9x_26.dll" when launching the game simply install the corresponding Directx9 update and you're good to go.

*edit - I just noticed that the December update also includes the libraries for Feb, April, Jun, Aug, Oct, and Dec 2005. For x86 and x64 editions of Windows.

radekhulan
12-15-05, 10:55 AM
Yes and no, there is an option to bypass the install option, EA mutters already on the install problem with the demo version. If the demo can't installed the full game would also not working and all this ennoying fun is a checker option in the autorun.cfg file DirectXVersion=9.0c must changed in DirectXVersion=0 !

Runnig NFSMW installer under Win2000 compatibility mode solves the problem, even without copying 4GB do HDD and modifying autorun.cfg.