PDA

View Full Version : Starforce problems? Well heres your chance to prove it and make $1000

Pages : [1] 2

ST:DS9
12-14-05, 09:17 AM
http://www.star-force.com/protection.phtml?c=261&id=707

Make $1000us, and they'll reimburse you for the trip to Moscow and 2 day stay if you are the first one to prove these supposed problems. In other words, put up or shut up.

BioHazZarD
12-14-05, 09:22 AM
Well it didnt really destroy my PC but SCCT was really a pain in the ass to get up and running. I really hope someone can prove them wrong cause SF sucks bigtime, its mean to stop piracy but users who buy the damn products should not suffer from the stupid protection.

AthlonXP1800
12-14-05, 09:28 AM
$1000? Not good enough to destroy my PC, $100,000 will do! (xmasgrin)

nrs421
12-14-05, 09:42 AM
but you get a two day trip to moscow as well......lots of hot women in moscow from what my friends have told me

|MaguS|
12-14-05, 09:46 AM
Yeah and you can come back married!

LurkerLito
12-14-05, 11:21 AM
Has anyone actually read the contest terms. It seems no one will get to win the prize no matter what they do.

Here is the funny part: Your PC must be under Warranty. So if you built your own PC your not eligible for this since you won't have a warranty on the PC. And if your PC is under warranty (meaning it is prebuilt dell or gateway etc..), you must remove the cd/dvd drive from the system put it on a clean PC (which they don't say they will provide for you so you have to have a spare clean PC to bring with you) and show that it also happens there. Well guess what you did, your just voided your warranty for removing the drive.

I don't know it seems kind of fishy. I know if I had any starforce games and had problems I wouldn't be eligible to show them since I have built all my PCs since the late 80's and none have anything but my personal lifetime warranty :).

RAY16
12-14-05, 11:50 AM
Has anyone actually read the contest terms. It seems no one will get to win the prize no matter what they do.

Here is the funny part: Your PC must be under Warranty. So if you built your own PC your not eligible for this since you won't have a warranty on the PC. And if your PC is under warranty (meaning it is prebuilt dell or gateway etc..), you must remove the cd/dvd drive from the system put it on a clean PC (which they don't say they will provide for you so you have to have a spare clean PC to bring with you) and show that it also happens there. Well guess what you did, your just voided your warranty for removing the drive.

I don't know it seems kind of fishy. I know if I had any starforce games and had problems I wouldn't be eligible to show them since I have built all my PCs since the late 80's and none have anything but my personal lifetime warranty :).

Ha, what a load of crap.

Wolfhound
12-14-05, 11:54 AM
If I only can get working SCCT on Win XP x64.....

Riptide
12-14-05, 11:56 AM
On the bright side silent hunter 3 works OK - you just have to load patch 1.4b and then the nocd crack. Works OK then.

ynnek
12-14-05, 12:36 PM
the hardware itself has to be under warranty.. Which means you can build your own, but needs to be all new..

It should be relatively simple, although a little expensive to prove.. however big sites like anadtech xbitlabs, etc should have not much of a problem funding this little excursion..

I bet there is a extremely small subset of cd/dvd drives with specific older firmware and hardware and software driver combinations that may cause a problem. You'd probably have to dig for that speciifc drive with older firmware that was forgotten in some store.. I can imagine someone possibly stumbling on this specific case problem.

Trouble is, the second part of the terms, where they take the drive out, and put it on another computer, probably would weed out any of the other problems, since that computer can have just enough changes in hardware, drivers, etc to solve the problem..

Acid Rain
12-14-05, 12:55 PM
lots of hot women in moscow from what my friends have told meYeah, I hear they grow a mean beard! Sign me up! :lol:

Elvin Presler
12-14-05, 02:56 PM
The terms of the contest

1. StarForce offers you to participate in contest among users of StarForce protected applications in accordance with these terms (hereinafter Terms).
2. At your own expense you arrive to StarForce headquarter which is placed in Russia, Moscow, Altufievskoe shosse, 5/2. Please arrange your visit with us beforehand and during working hours 10 AM to 6PM Monday through Friday Moscow time.

3. Using your PC (the subject PCs hardware must be under warranty terms) or any StarForce office PC you demonstrate that:

- All the drives in the system are properly functioning prior to the installation of a StarForce protected product of your choice. A legal version of operational system must be installed and there must be no other third company products installed. StarForce experts have full access to the subject PC for verification of installed software.

- After the installation and start-up of StarForce protected product the CD or DVD drive in the subject PC is not reading CD/DVD discs or the drive is not writing CD/DVD discs.

- After this demonstration the subject Drive must be removed from the subject PC and installed into any other computer that has no StarForce protected products or drivers installed, that has a legal version of operational system and has no third company products installed. StarForce experts have full access to the subject PC for verification of installed software.

Should the subject Drive fail to read or write CD/DVD discs in the second PC, you will be acknowledged the Winner.

4. If you are acknowledged as the Winner StarForce shall compensate your travel expenses (air fare round trip to Moscow economy class, pay your two days lodging (three star hotel of your choice) in Moscow and pay 1000 USD as prize. Your full name will be mentioned on www.star-force.com as the Winner of the Contest.

5. If you fail to reproduce the mentioned above terms, you will be acknowledged the loser and StarForce will mention your full name on www.star-force.com in the list of Losers of the Contest and any expenses shall not be compensated.

6. All disputes arising in connection of this contest will be resolved in accordance with legislation of EU.

7. Sending of application for participation in the contest confirms that you agree with these Terms.

===============

Who gives a s*** if the drive fails in another PC without Starforce or any other 3rd party apps. Only Windows, Starforce, and the game that put it there? WTF?!?!? I guess they figure having it fail in your PC with Starforce installed is OK then. Yeah, because Starforce breaking your CD Burning software VIA the hijacking of your IDE drivers is not a problem right? Having it break the game you paid for by design because of blacklisting CloneCD or Nero, or whatever (dictating to you what other completely legit applications you may or may not use) is all just fine and dandy then?

What a #*%$ing PR stunt scam!

Edge
12-14-05, 04:04 PM
So wait...this has nothing to do with testing if Starforce is actually causing problems on a PC, but rather if it's incompatable with a certain drive. Also, the point most people have made is that Starforce (at least the older versions) would interfere with other software, which this test would have nothing to do with (since they say you can't have any other software installed on the PC). Seems pretty pointless, it would be like Sony having a contest to have someone prove that their rootkit actually causes problems but requiring them to keep their computer offline at all times and not installing any other software.

ynnek
12-14-05, 04:28 PM
LMAO, actually I think you are right..

IOW, 1st test shows that starforce reders your CD/DVD drive crippld on your ocmputer.

the 2nd test, they take just the cd/dvd drive, and stick it into another computer,with NO starforce installed, or anything else.

if the 2nd test fails, then you are declared winner! If it drive works, then you are a loser.

But as Elvin stated, if you lose on the 2nd test as in the drive works perfectly without starforce installed, you prove that starforce DOES cause problems when its installed, yet you still lose.. lol!

Elvin Presler
12-15-05, 02:28 AM
Yeah, the only point to this challenge is to prove Starfarce physically vaporised the, hardware permanently, which is stupid. If this has ever happened, then the person concerned can't prove it, because his CD/DVDROM drive is already toast.

I don't think this is even anything that anyone ever complains about (except like 2 guys in the entire world, ever) so they want to use it to say later, "STARFORCE is sound and stable and perfect, we issued the challange publicly and NO ONE EVER stepped forward! Anyone who complains about ANYTHING, EVER again is a warez monkey!!!"

This would be like saying eating spoiled food is not harmful. Rules:
1. Eat it one day, get sick, don't eat it the next day and don't get sick. You lose. SEE! Spoiled food won't hurt you!
2. Eat it one day, get sick or die, eat it again the second day and die, you win!

rewt
12-15-05, 02:55 AM
http://www.star-force.com/protection.phtml?c=261&id=707

Make $1000us, and they'll reimburse you for the trip to Moscow and 2 day stay if you are the first one to prove these supposed problems. In other words, put up or shut up.

Noone will get the $1000. Simply because the problem they are trying to reproduce is only possible if the starforce drivers corrupts the drive's eeprom/firmware. Corrupting the eeprom/firmware is not, and never has been the issue with sf drivers afaik. Where do they make this crap up?

How about this. Stop denying problems that don't exist and fix all the ones that do?

msxyz
12-15-05, 03:13 AM
Oh, they want to make a lot of noise out of this.

When nobody will show up, they can claim that problems are just "Rumors" and keep on selling their crap software.

I've never heard of SF ruining a computer or killing kittens, but I DO know, from experience, that it conflicts with certain drives.

My DVD-RAM is one of those. SF messes with the low level drivers and I can't use its RAM functionality any more, just like a normal burner.

Then, there's is the problem that Starforces disables certain virtual drive/burning software on the assumption that they will be used illegally. The funny part is that people using illegally cracked softrware don't suffer from all this madness, Starforce or not, because it's not harder to circumvent than any other less instrusive copy protection scheme.

Superfly
12-15-05, 03:24 AM
the one and only StarForce game I have (X3) has never caused me any problems (crosses fingures).

I agree that the rules of this challenge are all FU though.

rewt
12-15-05, 03:41 AM
Starforce or not, because it's not harder to circumvent than any other less instrusive copy protection scheme.

Starforce 3 is much harder to circumvent than any other copy protection. Unfortunately this is also the same reason why it has so many incompatibility issues.

The main one I have complaint about is games not working on x64.

kev13dd
01-05-06, 02:45 AM
They bumped it up to 5,000. Add in the fact that the prize still isn't worth the risk of being wrong (airfaire and housing in Moscow) and they'll just keep increasing it and keep increasing the bragging

K

Riptide
01-05-06, 10:51 AM
the one and only StarForce game I have (X3) has never caused me any problems (crosses fingures).Last night I went to launch it and it blew up on me. The first window came up where it says it's checking my DVD, the drive spun up, and then it spun down. And nothing. It goes into not responding and I have to reboot the machine to get it to come out of it.

Thanks starforce. :p

Superfly
01-05-06, 11:22 AM
ah man that sucks - guess I chose well with the Samsung DVD drive then. - if you contact starforce they will send you an updated X3.exe that should fix this problem.

ynnek
01-05-06, 11:32 AM
heh.. I wonder about the x3 cd's... I mean, its an open issue that CD2 is can be corrupt.. which makes me wonder if any other cd's could have any problems.

Peoples-Agent
01-05-06, 11:41 AM
I use asmany programs and little apps that leak to disable SF protection and obtain cracks for my LEGIT software whenever possible, especially when SF is involved. It's useless, countless times I have had to wait for bloody cracks and work arounds for this mess to get some games working. Me and the SF support team are on a first name basis now, after a whole mess up where they threatened to sue me for distrubiting a game .exe that they had given me to circumvent the protection so I could play.

SF ..... TWO BIG SWEATY FINGERS upto your face!

Peoples-Agent
01-05-06, 11:43 AM
Another one on my eternal **** list is Securom, although I find their staff alot less threatening and they are very helpful.