PDA

View Full Version : Ubi recommend XBOX vs. XBOX2 for King Kong

jAkUp
12-14-05, 11:49 AM
LMAO

Fans wanting to get the best out of the King Kong video game should avoid the version for Microsoft's new Xbox 360, the game's maker Ubisoft has suggested.

Ubisoft boss Yves Guillemot admitted that the 360 game is too dark on standard TVs, making it hard to play.

"I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't see it when we were developing the game," he told the BBC News website.

He recommended that fans of the movie stick to the version for more established games consoles.

"When you play on an Xbox or a PlayStation 2, you start to see that it is beautiful," he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4525318.stm

Mr. Hunt
12-14-05, 11:52 AM
Wow... don't think I have ever heard a game company tell you to not buy their game :\.

saturnotaku
12-14-05, 11:54 AM
"Didn't see it" while developing the game? What, where they coding and playtesting with their eyes closed? :retard:

RAY16
12-14-05, 12:02 PM
"Didn't see it" while developing the game? What, where they coding and playtesting with their eyes closed? :retard:

Seriously. I don't understand how they could miss this...

evilchris
12-14-05, 12:03 PM
I wonder if it's too dark on HDTV's...

I'll buy it and find out.

superklye
12-14-05, 12:19 PM
Umm...can't they release a patch or something to fix it? I mean, most will have their 360 hooked up to the 'net, right? And that IS what the HDD is for...right?

RAY16
12-14-05, 02:13 PM
Umm...can't they release a patch or something to fix it? I mean, most will have their 360 hooked up to the 'net, right? And that IS what the HDD is for...right?

I think the game has to specifially be designed with future patches in mind in order to use that functionality. Seeing as how this is a single player game, and a game based on a movie, I doubt they bothered.

Edge
12-14-05, 03:12 PM
Err, can't you just turn up the brightness? And I didn't notice any excessive darkness in the Xbox 360 version of those comparision videos from that other thread, not to mention every screenshot has looked fine. Are they refering to specific parts or the whole game? It's a weird issue for them to bring such attention to, I've found many games with terrible brightness/contrast settings and the developer never said anything about it.

And Jakup, there is no "Xbox 2" ;)

Gaco
12-14-05, 03:33 PM
I wonder if it's too dark on HDTV's...

I'll buy it and find out.

That's exactly what it isn't. The error only occurs on normal CRT, so they say (xmasmile)

superklye
12-14-05, 03:59 PM
I think the game has to specifially be designed with future patches in mind in order to use that functionality. Seeing as how this is a single player game, and a game based on a movie, I doubt they bothered.
I don't follow you. Is any game designed with the idea that patches are going to be released for sure? I always thought, for the most part, developers designed so that the game was as perfect as could be before it got out the door.

But, as we all know, that doesn't always happen.

And what does the fact that it's single player have to do with anything?

jAkUp
12-14-05, 04:03 PM
More funnyness:

Ubisoft regrets that comments made by Ubisoft's CEO Yves Guillemot to a BBC Online reporter regarding Peter Jackson's King Kong The Official Game of the Movie on the Xbox 360 were taken out of context. The company stands firmly behind the impeccable quality of the game on all platforms, as evidenced by the game's overwhelmingly positive reception from players and critics worldwide.

Ubisoft is actively investigating isolated reports of resolution issues on specific plasma screens, which should be easily resolved by adjusting/increasing the settings.

Ubisoft believes that King Kong offers one of the best gaming experiences available on the Xbox 360 and encourages gamers to check it out for themselves.

RAY16
12-14-05, 04:38 PM
I don't follow you. Is any game designed with the idea that patches are going to be released for sure? I always thought, for the most part, developers designed so that the game was as perfect as could be before it got out the door.

But, as we all know, that doesn't always happen.

And what does the fact that it's single player have to do with anything?

Well, I mean they probably have to add extra code to check for something on the HD other than saved games and use that instead of the older files on the DVD. I imagine most online Xbox games were designed to be patchable in case cheats and exploits showed up (which will most likely happen no matter how much you test your game), and that they wouldn't bother doing something like that for a single player game, especially one that isn't planned to have downloadable content.

I mean, when you patch a PC game it replaces the old files, but with a console you'd need extra checks and other things, I guess...I'm not explaining myself too well, but hopefully you get what I'm trying to say now. Of course, I know nothing about programming or how console patching works, so I'm just blasting my thoughts on the matter out of my ass.

superklye
12-14-05, 10:06 PM
I think I understand what you're saying, but from what I've gathered and maybe assumed, is that the 360 is a rather advanced piece of computing power and that if a patch were to be released for a game that wasn't "looking for one" or whatever, that the patch could be written to take advantages of features on Xbox 360 that know what kind of media is loaded at any given time and that if it sees that King Kong is loaded, the patch is telling the Xbox to look to the HDD for certain files when needed.

I dunno, maybe that isn't possible, but it seems like it could/should be.

NAZCA M12
12-15-05, 05:23 AM
"I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't see it when we were developing the game"...

You silly goose, that's exactly why you didn't see it (because it was too dark) (xmastong)

And Edge, don't give him any "Xbox 1.5" thoughts (xmasgrin) Anyhow, a trivial problem really, i think Ubisoft shot themselves on the foot by making a fuss about it and looks like their latest u-turn comment that jAkUp posted confirms that.

AthlonXP1800
12-15-05, 05:32 AM
Seriously. I don't understand how they could miss this...

They missed it because they are dumb french. (xmasgrin)

superklye
12-15-05, 07:30 AM
They missed it because they are dumb french. (xmasgrin)
I wish there was a "Count it!" emoticon.

sytaylor
12-15-05, 09:03 AM
(mikec) will have to do

Ninjaman09
12-15-05, 02:04 PM
I think I understand what you're saying, but from what I've gathered and maybe assumed, is that the 360 is a rather advanced piece of computing power and that if a patch were to be released for a game that wasn't "looking for one" or whatever, that the patch could be written to take advantages of features on Xbox 360 that know what kind of media is loaded at any given time and that if it sees that King Kong is loaded, the patch is telling the Xbox to look to the HDD for certain files when needed.

I dunno, maybe that isn't possible, but it seems like it could/should be.
No that wouldn't be the case unless there were some standard in place for all software on the platform to be able to accept updated content/updates. King Kong isn't played off the XB360 hard drive (AFAIK) so all of the game data is simply read from the disc while in use. The game software is what controls what files are used while the disc is in operation and if there were a patch or replacement files on the hard drive, the software would have to know to look for it in the first place.

ENU291
12-15-05, 04:13 PM
I don't think we'll ever see 'game" patches for the Xbox360 just patches or upgrades to the OS and the Nvidia GPU emulation software.