PDA

View Full Version : dual core or single for a newbie?

nrs421
12-14-05, 04:33 PM
my aunt has asked me to put together a system for her daughter who will just be entering h.s...she wants the computer to last at least 3 years......her budget is around $2500.....dont think the kid is into gaming.....anyways i'm torn between suggesting dual core or single....dual cores better but not sure how much they know about computers in case issues pop up....actually scratch that....they know nothing about computers....

stncttr908
12-14-05, 04:44 PM
If their knowledge of computers is that limited it's a safe bet that you're the one that they'll turn to whenever they have a problem. Do you really want that responsibility? If she doesn't game, have them get a low-mid range Dell and call it a day.

jAkUp
12-14-05, 04:48 PM
They won't have any problems with dual core.

superklye
12-14-05, 04:55 PM
Shouldn't this be in the CPUs and Motherboards forum?

TierMann
12-14-05, 05:03 PM
They shouldn't have any problems with dual core. I havn't run into any yet after the drivers are installed beyond some games and even that was only 1 I played anyway. The question is though will they actually make use of dual core? If not then the better thing would probably be to get the same priced single core for more mhz. 3 years is a long time computer-wise and maybe more things will take advantage of dual cores by then too.

Some things I've gotten use out of dual core for are serious multitasking like a game + tons of background apps + p2p + irc etc. Some apps made use of it too like Sony DVD Architect and Vegas, and the Divx Helium encoder. Compiling code and video/audio conversion (depending on software and codecs) seem to be the biggest boosts.

Knot3D
12-14-05, 05:19 PM
She NEEDS dual core in hs ; work smoothly in Word while having other task done in background.

I definately suggest NO to sheer speedy single core for students.

LBJM
12-14-05, 05:22 PM
get a dual-core. even though most apps aren't multi-threaded they still benefit from the extra core

einstein_314
12-14-05, 07:24 PM
She NEEDS dual core in hs ; work smoothly in Word while having other task done in background.

I definately suggest NO to sheer speedy single core for students.
Uh, dude. It's word. Word isn't a very big CPU user. Getting a dual core so you could use word and do something else at the same time is silly. I can do that with my single core.

Neverless, I'd definately go for the dual core if it fits the budget. Expecially if you want it to last for 3 years. Buying a single core probably wouldn't be the best bet. But like I said. The budget is probably the governing factor.

ViN86
12-14-05, 11:10 PM
They won't have any problems with dual core.
yea i agree.

a12ctic
12-14-05, 11:21 PM
I would HIGHLY recommend a mac, not only will they not be prone to virus;s, spyware, and ms security bugs, but its easier and much faster imo...

einstein_314
12-14-05, 11:43 PM
I would HIGHLY recommend a mac, not only will they not be prone to virus;s, spyware, and ms security bugs, but its easier and much faster imo...
It seems to me that your solution to everything is don't use anything to do with windows. The problems with windows aren't as bad as you always make them seem. I spend no time protecting myself from virus' and spyware. I let the programs do their automated scanning at a scheduled time. And they never find any. Maybe some people have problems (could be because of the sites they visit?) but I don't. For someone going to school, a PC with windows is fine.

seeker010
12-15-05, 02:41 AM
or, for something's that's actually patched within a reasonable about of time, speedy, there's always the penguin OS. I'd recommend Ubuntu. I'd get a mac mini, but as a toy, not for my primary machine.

Knot3D
12-15-05, 08:54 AM
Uh, dude. It's word. Word isn't a very big CPU user. Getting a dual core so you could use word and do something else at the same time is silly. I can do that with my single core.

Well, yesterday I was rendering this 3D image in Cinema4D viewport, with Sonicstage playing tunes and one Firefox window in the background. Dad, asked me to check the email, but obviously the Pentium 4 3,2ghz HT with 2Gb ram (see sig) choked on this. It just got a bit too much for it.

These days i would absolutely not advise single core unless it's FX57 and that's just for pure gaming purposes. I can imagine, especially students having running all sorts of stuff at the same time.

ynnek
12-15-05, 11:19 AM
If you watch for the deals, $2500 can get you a pretty nice Dell actually. You might want to spring the extra cash for the extra level of support. (although I never used their "premium" support)

or next best thing would be a local computer shop that offers similar services.

Unless you *really* enjoy it, you don't want ot be that person they keep bugging for help.

Superfly
12-15-05, 11:28 AM
It seems to me that your solution to everything is don't use anything to do with windows. The problems with windows aren't as bad as you always make them seem. I spend no time protecting myself from virus' and spyware. I let the programs do their automated scanning at a scheduled time. And they never find any. Maybe some people have problems (could be because of the sites they visit?) but I don't. For someone going to school, a PC with windows is fine.

yeh this dude and his non-stop anti MS posts are really starting to get annoying.

@ a12ctic

if you only joined the forums to post your anti MS BS then your not welcome, if however you can get over yourself and your s**ty linux box then im sure your welcome.

Ringthane
12-15-05, 02:15 PM
I would go dual core. That's what everybody's going to anyway, so you'll be ahead of the curve instead of behind. And if they need an upgrade in the future, if you go single core now, you'll probably have to get a dual core anyway, so why not just do it and get it over with.

LBJM
12-15-05, 03:30 PM
yeh this dude and his non-stop anti MS posts are really starting to get annoying.

@ a12ctic

if you only joined the forums to post your anti MS BS then your not welcome, if however you can get over yourself and your s**ty linux box then im sure your welcome.

don't dis Linux