PDA

View Full Version : BF2 constant stuttering with good FPS

avesta
12-14-05, 06:54 PM
Im playing BF2 and I get a lot of stuttering, especially when I change the direction Im looking rapidly, but it happens consistently through the game, although I'm getting an average of 35-45fps. im running 1280x960 4xaa/8xaf with most options set from medium-high. here are my specs:

amd athlon64 fx-53
ati x800xt
1GB Ram

Before I formatted my computer, I used to play BF2 on the same settings without the stutter, so I dont think it's RAM related. The only things i've really changed since my last format are pagefile size, AGP aperture size, which is set to 256 right now, and I might have been using different omega drivers. so im confused what's going on since my framerates are good, but throughout the whole game there is constant stuttering.

OWA
12-14-05, 06:59 PM
2Gig should help a lot.

ralinn
12-14-05, 07:11 PM
You could try not using the omega drivers too :(

I had a friend that used them and he had alot of problems with BF2.

avesta
12-14-05, 07:46 PM
2Gig should help a lot.

did you notice in my post that I used to play it on the same computer without stutter?

You could try not using the omega drivers too

I had a friend that used them and he had alot of problems with BF2.

I'll try the catalyst and see how that goes.

einstein_314
12-14-05, 07:57 PM
You're sure you used to play it at exactly the same settings? It sounds to me like a RAM shortage. Because you're playing it at high settings, it uses a lot of memory. I had this very problem. When ever I started a level, it would stutter like mad but I'd be getting around 45 fps. I got 2 GB of RAM 2 days ago and my stuttering was instantly gone. I can even put lighting on high (which previously made the stuttering even worse). With all settings on high, BF2 uses 930MB of RAM. If you only have 1 GB, it will be forced to start paging stuff and that's what causes the stuttering. Try turning down the texture setting to low.

avesta
12-14-05, 09:05 PM
yeah, it was the exact same settings I used to play at. maybe its got something to do with paging file since its running out of ram, i've messed around with paging file since the last time i used to play.

einstein_314
12-14-05, 09:08 PM
What exactly did you do to the pagefile? You mentioned in your first post that you changed its size? Did you make it bigger or smaller? I can't think of anything else that would cause this.

Henno
12-14-05, 10:31 PM
im running 1280x960 4xaa/8xaf with most options set from medium-high

You can set in-game everything on high with your X800XT, except "texture quality". Lower this a notch and the stuttering is gone.
(With 2Gb sys mem you can set it back to high)

Greasy
12-24-05, 12:13 PM
Do you guys use the driver to control you AA/AF or in game settings? If you use the driver do you set the ingame settings to none?

Sorry if this has been said before, but I can't find it using search. (xmasgrin)

PSYCHODAD
12-24-05, 12:27 PM
I generally use the in-game settings for aliasing and force af thru the CP.

anticitizenzero
12-24-05, 03:05 PM
I had the same problem. Turns out it was the value ram I was using that caused it. I upgraded to another gig of ocz memory and it cleared up the problem completely.

CaptNKILL
12-24-05, 04:38 PM
I had the same problem. Turns out it was the value ram I was using that caused it. I upgraded to another gig of ocz memory and it cleared up the problem completely.
So it was the quality of the ram that did it, not that you went from 1gig to 2gigs? :eek2:

anticitizenzero
12-25-05, 12:09 AM
So it was the quality of the ram that did it, not that you went from 1gig to 2gigs? :eek2:

I took out the value ram and tested it.

Blade
12-25-05, 03:09 PM
2 Gigs is a must with this game period.

avesta
12-25-05, 07:17 PM
ok well I turned down all settings to medium and the stuttering was gone.
Now i've purchased another 1GB of ram and i cranked all the settings back to high, and the stuttering is STILL there. What gives?

my system is in my sig, i have 2 raptors in raid 0. im using omega 2.6.71.
I currently have 3 partitions:
C: drive (Windows) - 6GB with 3GB free space
D: drive (Game/Programs) - 130GB with 60GB free space
E: drive - i never used this partition

BF2 is installed on D: drive of course. and here is how the paging file is set for my partitions:
C: drive - No paging file
D: drive - Initial size of 1536MB with Max size of 3064MB
E: drive - No paging file

*note i even turned down dynamic light and dynamic shadows to medium, and that still didn't solve it.