PDA

View Full Version : Dvd rw to Dvd rw problem

Infinity666
12-14-05, 11:37 PM
I was considering buying a second drive so I could copy drive to drive but i put in my cousins dru720a and I kept getting near underrun buffer levels and it took just as long as transfering the dvd to the hard drive and then burning so whats up is it just a problem with my system or?

Infinity666
12-18-05, 01:33 AM
Help?

madmartyau
12-18-05, 02:41 AM
Have you got DMA enabled for both drives?
Have you got one set as Master and one set as Slave?

Something else to consider is the read spead from a dvd burner is not getting anywhere near the speed of a HDD.

Infinity666
12-18-05, 02:51 AM
Have you got DMA enabled for both drives?
Have you got one set as Master and one set as Slave?

Something else to consider is the read spead from a dvd burner is not getting anywhere near the speed of a HDD.
Yes to all

madmartyau
12-18-05, 05:05 AM
Have you tried putting one of them on a different channel?

Infinity666
12-18-05, 03:11 PM
Have you tried putting one of them on a different channel?

No seeing as my mobo only has one ata channel

ViN86
12-18-05, 03:19 PM
i have problems burning DVD to DVD as well. im not sure that the bandwidth between the drives is large enough to accompany the amount of data. you could try burning at a lower speed (ie 1x or 2x).

id just copy the files to the HDD and copy that way. its tedious but probably the best way to get it done :(

Son Goku
12-18-05, 06:09 PM
No seeing as my mobo only has one ata channel

Here in part could be part of your problem. IDE, unlike SCSI doesn't have any form of disconnection. Here's what it essentially amounts to:

In the case of SCSI disconnection, when one drive is busy, but doesn't have something to send over the bus, it disconnects from the bus and allows other devices on it to do their thing...

However, in the case of IDE, when the thing is searching for a file or whatever, it ties up the bus, so the other device can't get on there. This is one of the reasons people were advised to put the HDD on a seperate channel, so the slower CD drives didn't hold up the bus while doing their thing; preventing the HDD from doing what it needed to.

Also, the CD burner is slower (as has been mentioned) so for now, coping to the hard drive might be your own option. As to having only 1 IDE bus on your mobo, umm? I'm getting 2 burners and 1 HDD on there, aka 3 devices. Perhaps I'm missing something here in your setup.

BTW, it might have been a better bet to get a USB burner (do you have USB 2.0 on your mobo?) and have it read/burn accross both your ATA and your USB buses, so there might not be an issue with the 2 devices contending for the bus.

The other issue could also be if the older drive has a slower read speed then what you're burning at, though I sorta doubt that's what's going on without further info...

ViN86
12-18-05, 08:37 PM
do you have a SATA cd burner?

Infinity666
12-18-05, 11:36 PM
Here in part could be part of your problem. IDE, unlike SCSI doesn't have any form of disconnection. Here's what it essentially amounts to:

In the case of SCSI disconnection, when one drive is busy, but doesn't have something to send over the bus, it disconnects from the bus and allows other devices on it to do their thing...

However, in the case of IDE, when the thing is searching for a file or whatever, it ties up the bus, so the other device can't get on there. This is one of the reasons people were advised to put the HDD on a seperate channel, so the slower CD drives didn't hold up the bus while doing their thing; preventing the HDD from doing what it needed to.

Also, the CD burner is slower (as has been mentioned) so for now, coping to the hard drive might be your own option. As to having only 1 IDE bus on your mobo, umm? I'm getting 2 burners and 1 HDD on there, aka 3 devices. Perhaps I'm missing something here in your setup.

BTW, it might have been a better bet to get a USB burner (do you have USB 2.0 on your mobo?) and have it read/burn accross both your ATA and your USB buses, so there might not be an issue with the 2 devices contending for the bus.

The other issue could also be if the older drive has a slower read speed then what you're burning at, though I sorta doubt that's what's going on without further info...

2burners ata
1hdd sata

madmartyau
12-19-05, 01:09 AM
Also some burners just don't play well with other burners.
I've had occassions where putting a dvd burner in to a system with an existing cd burner will cause discs not to be readable within windows explorer.
But load up Dvd Decrypter or Iso Buster and they have no problems.

I think your options are:

A:Just use one drive and rip to the HDD then burn to DVD

B:As Son Goku suggested get an External drive.

Infinity666
12-19-05, 01:11 AM
Also some burners just don't play well with other burners.
I've had occassions where putting a dvd burner in to a system with an existing cd burner will cause discs not to be readable within windows explorer.
But load up Dvd Decrypter or Iso Buster and they have no problems.

I think your options are:

A:Just use one drive and rip to the HDD then burn to DVD

B:As Son Goku suggested get an External drive.

Thanks, has anyone actaully got the method that I described to work sucsesfully?

madmartyau
12-19-05, 01:39 AM
I have never seen it work succesfully with any consistency.

Infinity666
12-19-05, 01:43 AM
Thanks anyway

madmartyau
12-19-05, 02:40 AM
No problem.