PDA

View Full Version : Ratbag Closed

jAkUp
12-15-05, 12:14 PM
:(

Midway closes San Diego, Aussie studios on GameSpot reports that Midway has pulled a bit of a Grinch move, closing their San Diego, California and Adelaide, Australia studios just a couple of weeks before Christmas. The Australian closure is surprising, as Midway just acquired Ratbag Studios to be their Aussie studio in August (story), but the report cites a recent string of losses as a likely motivation behind the move, so this may be a case of Ratbags being thrown off a sinking ship.

crainger
12-15-05, 02:13 PM
Man this is bad news. I have very closely followed Ratbags progress since they open their doors many years ago. Powerslide is one of my all time favourite games.

Its a strange move to close them down. From what I heard their Sprint Car games, while not so popular here, were immensely popular in the States.

jAkUp
12-15-05, 02:56 PM
Yes the Sprint Car game was probably one of their better.

Powerslide is an amazing game, and for the time, the graphics were absolutely jaw dropping.

technoid
12-15-05, 03:51 PM
No kidding, Powerslide was so cool. I bought one of their latest games and it was fun too but not nearly as good as Powerslide. It was Dirt Track Racing, mostly like Sprint Cars but I liked it better for some reason.

stncttr908
12-15-05, 04:53 PM
Those Sprint Car and Dirt Track Racing games were great.

CaptNKILL
12-15-05, 05:12 PM
Damn, Dirt Track Racing was a lot of fun... what a shame :(

crainger
12-15-05, 11:25 PM
I remember the year Mom got me a 3DFX Voodoo Banshee and Powerslide for Christmas. :condom: I still think the graphics are some of the best even with todays games. Plus the framerate was amazing. I can't imagine the time and effort that went into the engine to make it what is was.

Still the guys that made Ratbag what it is are still out there. I hope their talents aren't lost in the mess that some development studios have become.

Mr. Hunt
12-16-05, 12:45 PM
Yeah... powerslide was awesome.. think that was the first game I played when I got an actual video card (voodoo 3000 if I remember right)... I loved it and the online part was pretty freaking fun... I also loved some of the cheats... the spider one where you stuck to walls was freaking fun.