PDA

View Full Version : XBox 360 copy protection cracked

AthlonXP1800
12-15-05, 06:57 PM
First task to cracked is completed and the next task is to read the data disc format.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4530702.stm

I am surprised the copy protection been cracked in less than a month since XBox 360 first launched a month ago.

Mr. Hunt
12-15-05, 07:06 PM
Yeah, it is a lot faster than I expected.

Diamond_G
12-15-05, 07:15 PM
There was a claim that someone ripped an oxm demo disk and replaced some files with an iso. They claim to get it to play in a 360. Of course the whole thing was more or less debunked.

evilchris
12-15-05, 07:19 PM
Losers. These are probably the same morons who complain about high prices.

evilghost
12-15-05, 08:16 PM
He said that hardware on the system only allows Microsoft certified and signed programs to run on the console. This meant that copied games would not be recognised by the system and would not run.

I wonder if this is a lot like the signing of .NET executables which is a snake-oil of the finest quality.

Infinity666
12-15-05, 09:19 PM
Didnt ms make the same claims about the xbox that it was piracy proof and looked what happened

Edge
12-16-05, 02:31 AM
Didnt ms make the same claims about the xbox that it was piracy proof and looked what happened
They never said it was piracy proof, just that they made it difficult to circumvent (they said the same about the Xbox 360).

Interesting that they've gotten this far already...I wonder if the stolen developer kits had a hand in this. It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to have a way to play the dumps on an Xbox 360, it probably won't be long until we see mod chips and the like popping up.

muaddib
12-16-05, 06:04 AM
Losers. These are probably the same morons who complain about high prices.

No they aren't. These are the same guys who will let me play my own legit backups of X360 games, and run my own movies, slideshows and music through the X360 HDD.

Fighting Spirit
12-16-05, 06:06 AM
Yep I have seen it and now im only waiting for some nice modchips :)

Some time after new year we gonna have plenty of 360 in the stores here in Sweden and then im reday to buy one ASAP he he..

Until then I have time to play RES4 who I just ordered for my Gamecube.
I just must have that game after all says how wonderful it is!

msxyz
12-16-05, 06:45 AM
Xbox360 games have already been dumped. This is old news. You can find the ISOs already on several torrents. But nobody yet has found a way to play the copies.

Salamandar
12-16-05, 09:30 AM
I'm not surprised at all; in fact the PS2 was cracked only few days from its release.

One thing I learned from software engineering:
what ever you build some one else can break.

skank
12-16-05, 09:45 AM
The copy protection hasn't been cracked, they have just dumped the game data that is extraced on the xbox when you play a game on it, this is far from cracking the games to play pirated or "backup" copies.