PDA

View Full Version : PS3 MGS4 dev kit demo vid

Slybri
12-15-05, 10:47 PM
http://files.filefront.com/MGS4_PS3_Devkit_Demo_Eng_subs/;4440530;;/fileinfo.html

If the games really looks this good, the PS3 is gonna own.

Of course, by the time it's available here in America, we'll all be jetpackin' around our colony on Mars.

Infinity666
12-15-05, 11:12 PM
looks sweet cant wait for some ps3 action

|MaguS|
12-15-05, 11:26 PM
Is this the same video that has beena round since TGS? It was realtime then aswell. As for how it will look, Kojima stated that it will look even better by its release since they are running on a lower spec devkit.

Bad_Boy
12-16-05, 12:41 AM
I think this is the one with the translated commentary from Kojima himself, its very good if you havent already seen it.

|MaguS|
12-16-05, 01:20 AM
Wow, Just watched it.

marqmajere
12-16-05, 02:13 AM
Someone needs to muzzle that woman. Movie looks great.

Edge
12-16-05, 03:04 AM
That's a nice video, it's nice to see some of the details and effects that they have in the engine. But one thing that does kinda surprise me is the shadows. They talk about them quite a bit in the video and seem very proud to show them off...but...did anyone else notice that changing the shadowing has NO effect on the terrain itself? The character casts a shadow (which is self-shadowed and soft-edged, no less), but the terrain shadows and lighting stay exactly the same. Just seems weird that they talk about finally using shadows heavily in the game, but not even using the shadowing system on the environment in the build of the game that they're using to show off the shadowing system. Still, we'll have to see how the final release ends up. The MGS games always have a way of using the technology in pretty amazing ways.

RAY16
12-16-05, 04:39 AM
The lighting and shadows isn't much better than what I've seen in Splinter Cell: Chaos THeory (PC version, SM3.0 path) and in nVidia's newer tech demos. But the game does look pretty damn awesome overall, I especially love how detailed that LCD screen was, It even had that pixelated look when the camera got close. That was awesome, and I love how it wasn't just a prerendered video of Otacon talking, it was in real time. Kojima and his team can push out some amazing detail in their games.

Mr. Hunt
12-16-05, 12:57 PM
The lighting and shadows isn't much better than what I've seen in Splinter Cell: Chaos THeory (PC version, SM3.0 path) and in nVidia's newer tech demos. But the game does look pretty damn awesome overall, I especially love how detailed that LCD screen was, It even had that pixelated look when the camera got close. That was awesome, and I love how it wasn't just a prerendered video of Otacon talking, it was in real time. Kojima and his team can push out some amazing detail in their games.

Yeah... that was really weird when I found out Otacon wasn't just kind of put on the screen but was actually being rendered real time, I thought it was awesome.

And maybe the lighting will change by the time the full game comes out, since Kojima did say this was on a dev kit slower than the actual PS3... so you never know.

Tygerwoody
12-16-05, 01:17 PM
PS3 and Nintendo Revolution are definitely getting my money :thumbsup:

Mr. Hunt
12-16-05, 01:17 PM
Was just reading the 1up.com thing about MGS4... and I found this part somewhat funny...

Snakes' hair is actually physics-driven. His moustache alone contains the same number of polygons as an enemy in MGS3.(3) The game also uses self-shadowing and HDR lighting techniques to appear more realistic. Various color filter effects were overlayed on to the second trailer to make the footage look more like real film.

Man I love that... same amount of polygons in his moustache as the enemy models from MGS3... that is insane.

EDIT: And he says his old look and moustache was inspired by Lee Van Cleef... one of the coolest people EVER!

EDIT2: I am an idiot... it also says the thing about his mustache in the video... I just got around to watching it just now :\.

Knot3D
12-16-05, 01:41 PM
I don't get it though. I would halve the processing resources for the moustache and have them benefit some other aspect of the game.

About the realtime shadows & lighting ; I always found that Ubi's Splinter Cell team(s) have more talent than Mr Kojima when it comes to use of such FX.
Artistic use of light & shadow is, imho, still Kojima's weak point (he's been showing slight progress since MGS3 though).

Really impressive footage it is indeed.

Bad_Boy
12-16-05, 01:51 PM
EDIT: And he says his old look and moustache was inspired by Lee Van Cleef... one of the coolest people EVER!

Thats interesting, i always thought he kinda looked like paul newman from 'The Color of Money'...but yeah now that i look at it, Lee Van Cleef works. :p

Mr. Hunt
12-16-05, 01:55 PM
Lee Van Cleef is like... so awesome... For a Few Dollars More is one of my favorite movies ever... THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY IS NOT BETTER DANG IT!