PDA

View Full Version : Changing memory bus mode

Shienarier
12-16-05, 09:15 AM
I thought that this would be an easy question to get an answer to, but there seems to be a certain ambiguity to the words.

I recently installed nTune and got this tip from it.

"Current memory bus mode is 64-bit
Memory bus mode capability is 128-bit

Recomendation: Upgrading memory DIMM according to
system manual greatly boost system performance."

How do i do that? I supposed it would be in the BIOS, but i can't
find the setting there when i look, nor can i find it in the manual.

darkrider01
12-16-05, 09:29 AM
What mobo are you running?

Superfly
12-16-05, 09:38 AM
basically its saying your running in single channel mode and you should upgrade/configure your RAM to be Dual channel.

If you have 2xsticks of matched RAM check your MoBO manual for the correct Dual channel configuration.

128bit = dual channel mode.

Shienarier
12-18-05, 11:09 AM
What mobo are you running?
I am using ABIT NF7 v1.0

basically its saying your running in single channel mode and you should upgrade/configure your RAM to be Dual channel.

If you have 2xsticks of matched RAM check your MoBO manual for the correct Dual channel configuration.

128bit = dual channel mode.

That cleared it up for me. Thanks.
Is there any easy way short of open the chassi up and look at the RAM to se if they are matched?

CaptNKILL
12-18-05, 11:49 AM
I am using ABIT NF7 v1.0

That cleared it up for me. Thanks.
Is there any easy way short of open the chassi up and look at the RAM to se if they are matched?
I think CPUZ has pretty accurate info on RAM. Do a google search for it, itl come up.

Either way, you'll have to open the case and switch the ram to the correct slots for dual channel mode.

Shienarier
12-26-05, 06:39 AM
CPUZ tells me that i have my RAM in slots #2 and #3, i suppose that could be the problem. I will switch them around when i have the time.

Nutty
12-26-05, 07:39 AM
You dont need completely matched sticks to get dual channel from my experiences. I had 2 Corsair sticks of 2-3-2-6 and 2-2-2-5 running fine. Just make sure you pick memory timing of SPD or the lower of the 2, otherwise 1 of the sticks wont keep up.

You prolly just have the sticks in the wrong slots. Check the mobo manual.

crainger
12-26-05, 05:11 PM
CPUZ tells me that i have my RAM in slots #2 and #3, i suppose that could be the problem. I will switch them around when i have the time.

For dual channel I think you need the RAM in slots 1 & 2 or slots 3 & 4. Well thats what my Abit manual tells me.

Roadhog
12-26-05, 09:02 PM
no, its slots 1 or 3, or 2 and 4

saturnotaku
12-27-05, 04:14 AM
The NF7 only has 3 slots, and IIRC you need to have them in slots 1 and 3 for dual channel to work. Again, check the manual. If you don't have the hard copy, Abit should have a version to download from their site.