PDA

View Full Version : What is MS thinking? Part 2

Pages : [1] 2

Slybri
12-16-05, 01:29 PM
I was thinking of getting an Xbox 360 mainly for its Media Center capability. I'm not that interested in the launch lineup and I watch a lot of TV that I download. Then I read that the 360 is actually a Media Center "Extender" and that you would have to have Windows XP Media Center Edition running on your PC in order to stream content. This doesn't make much sense to me.
I mean, if you already have Media Center XP on your PC, chances are you've got it hooked to your HDTV somehow already. Wasn't that the idea of Media Center XP, as an OS for HTPCs?
If Microsoft had just let it stream from regular XP, which most homes already have, that would be a huge selling point. Why would they handicap the 360 media capability? Just to sell a few more copies of Media center xp? Smacks of greed to me.

I'm reading now that the PS3 will be able to stream media content and Cable TV to my PSP "anywhere in the world" (meaning anywhere with broadband wi-fi). I could watch HBO or CNN live on my PSP at work! It will also play High Definition DvDs, surf the web, and download movies. All at the same time! If half of that turns out to be true, the PS3 has the 360 beat media wise.

I still kinda want a 360 for Christmas , just to have something fun to play with. (xmasgrin) The screenshots of Burnout Revenge on the 360 have me drooling. But more and more I'm having second thoughts. I don't want to have to buy and install a whole new OS on my PC just to stream stuff to my TV. I just wish I knew how long I'm gonna have to wait for the PS3.

Mr. Hunt
12-16-05, 01:52 PM
Actually the PSP can already play shows and stuff when you are in a hotspot... but you have to buy some thing called a LocationFree player or something that will stream the crap to your PSP and stuff... hard to explain (especially for me since I suck at explaining stuff).

Slybri
12-16-05, 04:00 PM
Actually the PSP can already play shows and stuff when you are in a hotspot... but you have to buy some thing called a LocationFree player or something that will stream the crap to your PSP and stuff... hard to explain (especially for me since I suck at explaining stuff).

Yeah, I read about that. But then I read that the PS3 has the Location Free Player capability built in. PS3 + PSP is gonna = all sorts of fun.
All sony needs now is something similar to Xbox Live and they got the 360 pwnt. Oh, and they need to actually release the thing sometime before the apocalypse...that would help.

Mr. Hunt
12-16-05, 04:06 PM
Why do you think it isn't coming out for forever? Sony said (I know, I know, sometimes they aren't telling the truth ;)) that it is still on track for a spring/summer 06 release... and even if they don't do a worldwide launch at the same time, it will only be a few months later for it to be State side... and I have been reading the PS3 might be region free, like the PSP.

brady
12-16-05, 04:07 PM
STOP IT! All this talk is starting to make me regret buying a 360. Only just a little. (rudolf)

Mr. Hunt
12-16-05, 04:09 PM
STOP IT! All this talk is starting to make me regret buying a 360. Only just a little. (rudolf)

Don't... just be sure to pick up the PS3 when it hits also... that is what I will do (well, technically I still need to get the 360... but whatever ;)).

Edge
12-16-05, 04:28 PM
You're a bit wrong on a few points. You don't need a copy of Window XP MCE in order to stream music and photos, for those you can use Windows Media Connect (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/devices/wmconnect/default.aspx) (as long as your OS is Windows XP). However, to stream video files it requires Windows XP MCE. So no, it's not required that you have MCE in order to stream media, but you do need it if you want to stream video. It should also be noted that Vista is supposed to support basically all the function of MCE, so chances are you'd be able to stream any media to the Xbox 360 that way as well.

Slybri
12-18-05, 01:21 PM
Well, after hitting my local Bestbuy at 5AM and hearing they gave out tickets for the thing the night before (against Bestbuy's policy) I'm disgusted with the whole 360 thing. The kicker was seeing that the Wi-fi adaptor retails for 99$. That's freakin insane. The whole systems built on hype and corporate greed.

I'm just gonna use the money to upgrade my computer and wait for the PS3. I never got an Xbox, never wanted to play any of the games that badly, and I doubt I'll get teh 360.

Besides. My PC will run Oblivion just fine. (rudolf)

kev13dd
12-18-05, 02:55 PM
Well, after hitting my local Bestbuy at 5AM and hearing they gave out tickets for the thing the night before (against Bestbuy's policy) I'm disgusted with the whole 360 thing. The kicker was seeing that the Wi-fi adaptor retails for 99$. That's freakin insane. The whole systems built on hype and corporate greed.

I'm just gonna use the money to upgrade my computer and wait for the PS3. I never got an Xbox, never wanted to play any of the games that badly, and I doubt I'll get teh 360.

Besides. My PC will run Oblivion just fine. (rudolf)

Wanna know what I don't understand about people like you?

The PS3 is ganna cost just as much money. And Sony charges just as much for their peripherals as Microsoft does. Both Sony and Microsoft are trying to get as much money out of their systems as possible... and yet Microsoft is the one with "corporate greed"

You say you went to buy the console, and then blow it off as "I didn't want it that bad anyways, doubt I'll get it". If you're willing to plop down 400 bucks on a console I'm willing to bet you don't have much doubt in your mind about how much you actually want the console (especially considering you aren't super wealthy and money isn't an issue considering you're complaining about the cost of the adapter)

You speak of so many fancy features that the yet to exist PS3 will have. Yet before the X360 came out you thought it was going to be a media center extender and give you a bunch of cool features too without having to instal a new OS. Why are you comparing rumors and speculation to features set in stone of a console that exists?

Why. Why so many condradictions. Why do problems that affect ALL consoles, somehow make the 360 the worst one of the bunch? Why deem a console that doesn't yet exist the better of the two? GAH! For someone who complains about hype... (snowman)

K

Mr. Hunt
12-18-05, 03:29 PM
Actually I think PS3 is supposed to have built in wifi access.... saves me a hundred bucks... I know MS could have came out with a much cheaper wifi adapter... 100 dollars for that thing is just stupid.

GamerGuyX
12-18-05, 03:39 PM
Actually I think PS3 is supposed to have built in wifi access....

Yes but how do you know for sure when the PS3 isn't even out yet?

Mr. Hunt
12-18-05, 04:31 PM
Yes but how do you know for sure when the PS3 isn't even out yet?

I don't... I am just saying it is supposed to have it built in...

Edge
12-18-05, 04:59 PM
Actually I think PS3 is supposed to have built in wifi access.... saves me a hundred bucks...
The Revolution and DS have built in wi-fi as well, and both those platforms are under $200. You could pick up one of those and save yourself hundreds and hundreds of dollers if you want.

But then, wi-fi on the Xbox 360 is "free" as well, if you already have the wi-fi adaptor for the original Xbox.

Mr. Hunt
12-18-05, 08:25 PM
I didn't KNOW the revolution was under 200... strange.

And I got a PSP that has built in wifi anyway... I am just saying it is rather crappy of them to charge 100 bucks for a wifi adapter that should be 50 dollars at most.

GamerGuyX
12-18-05, 08:49 PM
I didn't KNOW the revolution was under 200... strange.

And I got a PSP that has built in wifi anyway... I am just saying it is rather crappy of them to charge 100 bucks for a wifi adapter that should be 50 dollars at most.

Yes well, what if the rumors are true and the PS3 is released at lets say, $500. The Wi-Fi may be built in to the PS3 but it woudn't be any cheaper than buying the premium 360 with the Wi-Fi adapter seperate. So really, you wouldn't save $100...

a12ctic
12-18-05, 08:54 PM
ms doesnt think, they steal others ideas, this thread is purposless...

Mr. Hunt
12-18-05, 08:55 PM
Yes well, what if the rumors are true and the PS3 is released at lets say, $500. The Wi-Fi may be built in to the PS3 but it woudn't be any cheaper than buying the premium 360 with the Wi-Fi adapter seperate. So really, you wouldn't save $100...

Not paying a hundred bucks for the wifi adapter though... paying for everything else, also.

GamerGuyX
12-18-05, 08:56 PM
Not paying a hundred bucks for the wifi adapter though... paying for everything else, also.

Yes but what does it matter when your spending the same amount?

GamerGuyX
12-18-05, 08:58 PM
ms doesnt think, they steal others ideas, this thread is purposless...

I love Microsoft.

How 'bout them apples?

Mr. Hunt
12-18-05, 09:01 PM
Yes but what does it matter when your spending the same amount?

It matters to me. I am not spending 100 bucks for ONLY a wifi adapter that shouldn't cost more than 50 bucks.

GamerGuyX
12-18-05, 09:05 PM
It matters to me. I am not spending 100 bucks for ONLY a wifi adapter that shouldn't cost more than 50 bucks.

Blah, blah, blah.

As long as we agree that the Revolution having no high-def support sucks then all is good. (xmasgrin)

(xmassign)

Mr. Hunt
12-18-05, 09:47 PM
Blah, blah, blah.

As long as we agree that the Revolution having no high-def support sucks then all is good. (xmasgrin)

(xmassign)

Definitely agree there ;).

My only problems with the 360 are the overpriced accessories (IMHO), crappy launch titles (IMHO, only one that interests me right now is Ridge Racer 6 ;)), and no wifi built in.

Other than that, I want one ;).

MustangSVT
12-18-05, 10:17 PM
Well all consoles have overpriced accesories. With the PS2 for example, it's $179.99cad for the console, but another controller is another $30cad, a memory card is $20 for an 8mb one (and it doesn't even save all that much), or it might be $30cad for the mem. card. Then the hi-def cable adapter is another $30 or $40cad.

And I understand the IMHO for the crappy launch titles, but *IMHO* lol you're in a minority. Though I don't have one, I've played most of hte games, and I find them faboulous.

Zelda_fan
12-18-05, 11:02 PM

or you could just by a Nintendo Revolution which is cheaper overall and still has wifi built in.

GamerGuyX
12-18-05, 11:10 PM
or you could just by a Nintendo Revolution which is cheaper overall and still has wifi built in.

Cheaper because it sarcrifices so many other features the other consoles have. Wi-Fi is a nice feature but certainly not the only feature worth considering. ;)