PDA

View Full Version : More actually new elder scrolls oblivion screenshots

Pages : [1] 2

killahsin
12-16-05, 04:02 PM
http://www.shacknews.com/screens.x/tes4/The+Elder+Scrolls+IV+Oblivion/1/121605/obx24B.jpg

these ones actually show more of the game areas you'll frequent , towns et al. Very nice looking if you ask me.

Mr. Hunt
12-16-05, 04:04 PM
Thanks... some of them look good, but some of them are kind of ugly to me :\.

jAkUp
12-16-05, 04:08 PM
Yea some look ok... they badly need some AF though.

I am definetely a little dissapointed in the graphics though... the recent SS's don't look nearly as good as the ones in the past.

Edge
12-16-05, 04:40 PM
Bah, I hate it when they scale Xbox 360 screenshots to 1024x576 from 1280x720, it always causes jagged edges and blurry textures. Especially the dock shot, that just looks like an aliased mess.

But aside from that, most of the shots look pretty good. That fireball spell looks fun, I can't wait to see what it will look like when you cast it in the middle of a large group of skeletons and see their bones fly all over in real-time, still shots just aren't good enough!

jAkUp
12-16-05, 04:44 PM
Well, look at the textures in the distance in this shot, notice the rock walls, and specifically the ground. They look nothing less than horrific:
http://www.shacknews.com/screens.x/tes4/The+Elder+Scrolls+IV+Oblivion/1/121605/team_banth_01B.jpg

I think that is caused more from the lack of AF, rather than the resizing of the picture.

Superfly
12-16-05, 04:46 PM
urrrm....starting to look a bit dodgy - textures look way below those original screens shots

Graphicmaniac
12-16-05, 06:01 PM
horrible graphics !!!!!

i want the old Oblivion back !!!

agentkay
12-16-05, 06:14 PM
Doesnīt look like PC screenshots. Most official PC screenshots from Oblivion were in 4:3 ratio and looked way better. I think its from a X360 build with toned down graphics, similar like the PC version from a couple of weeks ago (that looked almost like DX7). Iīm sure the final release versions will look just fine.... donīt loose your faith! :D

SH64
12-16-05, 06:37 PM
Why dont they just enable texture filtering when taking screenshots ? :screwy: some of them look so ugly & bland with it disabled :/
thank god with the PC version i'll be able to play with up to 16xAF sample heh..

jAkUp
12-16-05, 06:49 PM
You hope you will be able to play at 16AF :)

SH64
12-16-05, 07:14 PM
You hope you will be able to play at 16AF :)

With a well coded & optimized game for the PC (esp SLI & dual-core cpus) .. yeah i hope so :) .. at least i'm aiming for 1280x1024,4xAA,8xAF or 1600x1200,noAA,16xAF,HDR. whichever looks better!

jolle
12-16-05, 07:38 PM
Doesnīt look like PC screenshots. Most official PC screenshots from Oblivion were in 4:3 ratio and looked way better. I think its from a X360 build with toned down graphics, similar like the PC version from a couple of weeks ago (that looked almost like DX7). Iīm sure the final release versions will look just fine.... donīt loose your faith! :D
If its anywhere near as fun, and any better looking at all then Morrowind, im happy hehe..
cant wait to roam those forests..

btw havent I heard some rumbling on the lack of AF in other games on Xbox360?
And spose it couldnt run as highres textures as a PC could, I mean we have graphics cards now with as much RAM as that entire system is sharing between GPU and CPU..

Oh and Edge, how do you figure scaling DOWN a image blurs it and creates jaggies? I mean thats basicly how SSAA works...

jAkUp
12-16-05, 07:46 PM
Downscaling can cause jaggies... if you use IE and use the feature "automatically resize the picture" you know what I mean, this downsizes the pic, and makes it look terrible.

Heres another example...

click the picture below. Look how terrible it looks when downsized.
Now click the picture again, full size, much clearer :)

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/8624/untitled5lm6xl.th.png (http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled5lm6xl.png)

jolle
12-16-05, 08:18 PM
ok granted the real quick and gritty methods that browsers use to fit the image, but if you downsample a image in most image software around that doesnt happen.
Bicubic sampling as Photoshop defaults to for example..
ex comparing this screenshot you posted on Rainbow six.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=14722&d=1133554708
To this one (attatched), scaled down to 50%.. id say you reduced some of the jaggies on the wires..

Edge
12-16-05, 08:35 PM
Yes, but it looks like those images used the "quick and dirty" method for resizing. If they used the Photoshop method, then the edges wouldn't be as badly aliased (since it would be the same as applying actual AA to it). Using nearest neighbor resizing can actually cause the image to look worse than if it was originally rendered in that resolution, and it looks like that was the case here.

I do agree that it would be nice if the Xbox 360 version would use at least use 2x anisotropic, maybe mention it on their forum or email them about it? From the sound of it Bethesda has pretty good community support, maybe if enough people bring it up they'd be willing to impliment it.

Bad_Boy
12-16-05, 08:59 PM
Dont look too nice imo, but im saving final judgement for the final game.

|MaguS|
12-16-05, 11:58 PM
WoW, Those screens look nasty. No shadows and the textures look like crap.

Oh and it looks like it is the x360 version, go to the screen of the options menu, it has "L" and "R" labeled. I would think the PC version would be mouse driven interface.

Superfly
12-17-05, 04:56 AM
im gonna wait on this - canceled pre-order.

Gaco
12-17-05, 05:03 AM
Lol.. isn't that a bit drastic?

vampireuk
12-17-05, 05:05 AM
im gonna wait on this - canceled pre-order.

Yeah screw the awesome gameplay, it's the graphics that matter. :rolleyes:

|MaguS|
12-17-05, 05:18 AM
Yeah screw the awesome gameplay, it's the graphics that matter. :rolleyes:

Maybe not everyone thinks the Elder Scroll series had awsome gameplay and were drawn to the series for its graphics. I know I never could play Morrowind more then 30mins because I grew bored at the paper think plot and horribly broken mechanics.

I don't have much trust in the Elder Scrolls Series, some have been great others (Morrowind) bored the hell out of me. I will wait till its release and a review till I purchase it.

Superfly
12-17-05, 05:39 AM
I just think its worth a test drive before they get my money, too many times now have we been tricked with movies and screens that dont appear in final games.

CaptNKILL
12-17-05, 07:19 AM
Man, this is a perfect example of why they need to use AF and maybe a little AA in all screenshots. The game looks alright to me but the lack of AA and AF makes it look like sh*t. Pretty much any outside game looks bad with no AA or AF, whoever took those screenshots must not have had access to the settings, or maybe they were just plain stupid.

Zelda_fan
12-17-05, 11:16 AM
they posted the screenshots on elderscrolls.com and they look much better

http://www.elderscrolls.com/art/obliv_xbox360_screens_01.htm

also those are xbox360 screenshots, and the devs have stated that the PC game will look better

vampireuk
12-17-05, 11:18 AM
Maybe not everyone thinks the Elder Scroll series had awsome gameplay and were drawn to the series for its graphics. I know I never could play Morrowind more then 30mins because I grew bored at the paper think plot and horribly broken mechanics.

I don't have much trust in the Elder Scrolls Series, some have been great others (Morrowind) bored the hell out of me. I will wait till its release and a review till I purchase it.

The plot was only "paper thin" if you never bothered to follow it. ;)