PDA

View Full Version : Huxley:UnrealE3.0-powered MMOFPS Screenshots

Nv40
12-17-05, 01:23 AM
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/676/676587p1.html

Huxley is a massively multiplayer online first-person shooting game (MMOFPS) developed by the H-Studio of global online entertainment company, WEBZEN Inc. Huxley takes place in a post-apocalyptic world where human beings have mutated and are divided into two opposing races, Sapiens and Alternative. At the center of the battle for survival is Lunarites, a promising new energy source that both sides seek to obtain. Forced to battle against one another for the continuance of each race, Sapiens and Alternatives are willing to do whatever it takes to wipe out the conflicting race and gain control of the world and its resources.

In near future, Nuclearites bombard the World. Destructive earthquakes, massive tidal waves and dramatic climate changes wreak havoc around the globe, isolating continents and driving the human race into chaos. Those who survive the destruction dream of tranquility, but an eruption among the human race and the appearance of horrible mutants drives the world into further disorder. Racism and oppression cause rebellious uprisings and war that divide the landscape between two powers: Sapiens and Alternative, At the heart of the war emerges a powerful energy source the Lunarites created by Huxley, a scientist and possible savior.

Both factions seek glory and victory, fighting mercilessly for the Lunerites and their very existence.

I. FPS IN A PERSISTENT WORLD.
Huxley delivers the excitement and rich gameplay experience of an MMORPG while combining the knuckle-whitening action of an FPS. Players can communicate with each other in a virtual online city, and participate in side battles with the intuitive PvP (player vs. player) system. Everything a character does in the Huxley world directly affects the success of not only the individual, but also of their race and party; from battles to behaviors, all interactions are linked to the survival of a character’s entire race.

II. LARGE-SCALE BATTLES.
Huxley goes past traditional death match FPS gameplay by challenging players to adapt to new forms of combat to protect the interests of the camp. Servers will be solely dedicated to accommodate millions of users engaged in fast paced, large-scale combat. Players will require strategy and cooperation to achieve victory. Extensive multiplayer battle modes are available each with a variety of unique fighting techniques and special characteristics.

III. ADVANCED A.I. AND QUESTS.
Huxley has advanced A.I. that rivals other online games. Enemies in Huxley demonstrate remarkable intelligence, which can be used to a player’s advantage or demise. Quests in Huxley will take players on paths of intrigue to uncover conspiracies resulting in confrontations. Each quest is continually updated so players feel as though they are enjoying a new story mode every time they play.

IV. CHARACTER GROWTH AND UNIQUE PLAY STYLES.
The characters in Huxley are continuously growing, which is rare in FPS games. Players are able to enhance their own combat styles by obtaining out-of-this-world weapons and new skills, which in turn continuously challenges players to adopt different gameplay styles as they progress.

A side note..
looks good ,but its unfortunate that is another pay online to play game. If this trend continue with most online games, to buy a pair of $700 gpus in SLI in a top of the line computer will look like a bargain ,in comparison to gaming. because paying $25 per month per game.. thats about $250 per month and around ~3k per year if you play at least 10 games. :(

anyway ..here is their site.

http://www.webzengames.com/Game/Huxley/default.asp

|MaguS|
12-17-05, 01:31 AM
$25 a month? What game are you playing? Even SOE games are only $15 a month and give discounts on quarterly and yearly purchases.

P2P will only go into games that can support the main rule, never ending always evolving. If a game is P2P and can be completed or lacks monthly (or sooner) support from the developer then it doesn't belong on the P2P system.

I support P2P fully, No other game has given me the amount of playtime that EQ1 did...

This game sounds like a PlanetSide done good...

xquizette
12-17-05, 01:42 PM
It looks nice, but the MMOFPS i dunno about.

superklye
12-17-05, 02:19 PM
I think I'll stick with CS:S.

Nv40
12-17-05, 03:33 PM
$25 a month? What game are you playing? Even SOE games are only $15 a month and give discounts on quarterly and yearly purchases.

P2P will only go into games that can support the main rule, never ending always evolving. If a game is P2P and can be completed or lacks monthly (or sooner) support from the developer then it doesn't belong on the P2P system.

I support P2P fully, No other game has given me the amount of playtime that EQ1 did...

This game sounds like a PlanetSide done good...

The real fun begins when games have big support for the mod community or that allows you to play the game whenever you want ,the way you want . not everyone want to pay a rental for a game that is already theirs. 15/month is still alot of money .. that is about ~2k per year IF you only play 10 games ,and still the game is not yours.. I guess we agree to disagree then ,but for every 1 that thinks pay2play is good ,there should be around 100 gamers that will disagree. Just imagine if every game deveveloper begin to ask a "small" monthly fee like $15/month to get silly updates and continue playing the game.? There is nothing to stop *far smaller* games than everquest2 or WOW for asking monthly payments too..and the problem is that there will be always people that will pay for a new model or a new tshirt.. or for so little things With pay2play games the worst thing is not the money you need to pay but that the developers have the absolute control of any future development of that engine . There is zero participation of the community in the development of the game.,no custom maps ,no total conversion mods ,no offline play, to play alone or with friends in lan parties or no way for the community to express their creativity with new graphics or new gameplay.

Whether the few MMO games you play are amazing or the biggest crap ever made is completely irrelevant here. *thats not the issue here..* The problem is when others developers try to imitate that business model ,because there is alot of easy money in that industry (if the game is sucessfull).The problem is that this Pay 2 play model clompletely kills the oportunity for 90% of gamers in the industry that cant pay for any reason to play those games and that kill the oportunity to allow gamers to express all their creativity there. and is that were not enough the creativity is also Ruined in those same MMO games since they will have more or less the same graphics for years and many years in the future with the same gameplay. The progress of MMO games is very slowwwwwww in terms of completely new graphics and new gameplay.Everquest1 is an perfect example of this. THe same is happening to EQ2 and WOW ,in 10 years from here they will be people -replaying a lot of more similar missions with diferent names all over again....

Now the important question is .. what will happend to newer MMO games with far superior graphics using the unreal engine3 or any other ,if they dont manage to get at least enough subcribers to pay for their servers? if they dont manage to compete with WOW or Eq2? ITs more expensive to manage MMO servers ,so the requirements for a game to be profitable there are a lot higher than non MMO games.and in this gaming industry not always the best games are the ones that are more popular.. otherwise i will be playing sims online.

That why i dislike pay2play online games. The developers focus is on adding missions here and there (something that could be done for free by the mod community) and the gameplay or the graphics dont change that much in many years . The gaming industry will suck badly the day all developers dedicate all their energy adding never ending missions to old games instead of creating something completely new with the available technology today . As much as its good to have games with many many many hours of great fun and gameplay ,is not less true that is also good when they have a begining and End. just like it a happens with good movies. or everything in the real world.

jAkUp
12-17-05, 05:32 PM
MMO FPS/s can work.... Planetside was about the only one...

Edge
12-17-05, 06:39 PM
Nv40...that was a really long winded rant, and frankly I think you're grasping for straws (who in the hell would play 10 pay-to-play games at once?!). MMOs will usually have fees, and no other genres will. I don't see what's so difficult to understand about that.

But in any case, there's a gameplay video of it (http://www.xboxyde.com/news_2379_en.html) up for those who are interested in the game. It's from a very early version, so it's quite choppy and incomplete, but at least gives a good impression of what the game will look like.

Dr@Home
12-17-05, 06:41 PM
MMO FPS/s can work.... Planetside was about the only one...Planetside was great until they started to add things, like the BFR..(gay)

I'd really like another game that i can play for over a year. (xmastong)

nutcrackr
12-17-05, 07:05 PM
It's coming out on x360 also correct? I assume they'd be charging xbox live points to play it monthly too? I've never payed the play a game continually and I don't see myself starting anytime soon.

Nv40
12-17-05, 07:37 PM
Nv40...that was a really long winded rant, and frankly I think you're grasping for straws (who in the hell would play 10 pay-to-play games at once?!). MMOs will usually have fees, and no other genres will. I don't see what's so difficult to understand about that.

What others genres ?
NOthing stop VAlve or Any other FPS developer to ask a montly fee too in their games.IS there is a definition or rules somewhere that says WHo can ask a monthly fee or not for their game? All they need to justify the rental is to dedicate their time when the game is finished (instead of working with a new game) to add new levels every month ,new models or items with 24hours servers.. again something that is completely free in the mod community.and if we remember That Guildwars *is free* , the only reason for pay2play it that they never stop adding quest (virtually no end) and that they are more massive .

What if i pay for WOW and i dont like it? or EQ2? do i get my money back? What if i play just a couple of hours per week and will like to play 10 new P2P games in the same month ?
What will happen if the P2p game is not sucessfull in the future (but i like the game) will they continue supporting the servers even in they lose money? ihave around 10 old games on my PC that i play from time 2 time ,i could play them for 1 hour today and return amonth later and do the same..when i want to try all the school MP shooters. Will it be possible to do the same with MMO games? or do i need to pay a full month even for a few minutes of gameplay? thats the BS! you get when the game is not yours. although they make hundreds of millions from people like you.

Its really dissapointing that people underestimate the potential damage that this P2p can do to the gaming industry.ANyone can charge you money for nothing .and like any special club ,if you dont pay you are left behind. If there are 10 new great titles outhere and all ask a monthly fee ,if you arent rich ,you will be forced to play just 1 or 2 at the same time and play only those games until the month is finished. Add Xbox360 or PS3 games and the upgrades you need to do to your PC on top of the bills you need to pay in the real world ,and you will have no way to deal with pay2play games ,unless you are rich. you dont need to pay for all games at once.. but still it sucks Big time ,since you are forced to play the game that month ,that game to not loose your investment. Its all about restrictions.. that is what P2p games are. you get never ending missions,new items or models (something that could be done for free in the mod community) but you lose all the flexibily of when and where you can play the game ,the benefits of the third party community development , to play the game offline with friends . and FAR SLower evolution of the MMO game in terms of new engine graphics technology and gameplay of the available hardware today. By the time the most popular MMO games arent played anymore ,Console games will look and play light years ahead. Imho.

Edge
12-17-05, 07:46 PM
What others genres ?
NOthing stop VAlve or Any other FPS developer to ask a montly fee too in their games.
Except for common sense. Nothing is stopping Valve from closing down everyone's Steam account either, but obviously noone is avoiding playing their games because of that. Why in the world do you think ANY genre other than MMO games would have a monthly fee? There has never been ANY indication that any company is even considering charging a monthly fee for a non-MMO game, so why do you even bring the issue up? Seriously, think logically for a minute instead of preaching doom and gloom when there's absolutely no reason for it.

t6_shadow
12-17-05, 08:36 PM
Except for common sense. Nothing is stopping Valve from closing down everyone's Steam account either, but obviously noone is avoiding playing their games because of that. Why in the world do you think ANY genre other than MMO games would have a monthly fee? There has never been ANY indication that any company is even considering charging a monthly fee for a non-MMO game, so why do you even bring the issue up? Seriously, think logically for a minute instead of preaching doom and gloom when there's absolutely no reason for it.

While I think your right edge and I really doubt it will happen it is POSSIBLE. Remember these are companies that make these games. Companies and corporations will do almost anything to get money from the consumer. Look at WOW that cost me almost 20 dollars a month to play (Canadian dollars) That is a complete ripoff. They would have had more than enought money charing people 5 dollars a month (US) but blizzard just looks for MORE ways to stuff their pockets. Can I blame them? Yes.

arioch21
12-17-05, 09:51 PM
MMO FPS/s can work.... Planetside was about the only one...

have to agree, PS was good when it came out, but went downhill after they started adding and changing things around, had alot of fun during last phase of beta that I went out and got it after, but after changes and expansion never looked at it again.

a12ctic
12-17-05, 10:36 PM
it looks like a great game, read about it about a year ago when i tryed MU online though....

MustangSVT
12-17-05, 11:23 PM
#1 - why would you play 10 MMO games all at once during a year? Are you insane?

#2 - only MMO games charge money. You want to know why? Because they add sh*t to the game, the game is continously evolving. Obviously work costs money. You pay for to keep the game going into development, it's like paying for a new game and you're getting more content in the MMO.

While I think your right edge and I really doubt it will happen it is POSSIBLE. Remember these are companies that make these games. Companies and corporations will do almost anything to get money from the consumer. Look at WOW that cost me almost 20 dollars a month to play (Canadian dollars) That is a complete ripoff. They would have had more than enought money charing people 5 dollars a month (US) but blizzard just looks for MORE ways to stuff their pockets. Can I blame them? Yes.

Complete ripoff? Then don't pay for it. Who's forcing you? You want to play WoW cause you get new content over and over? You're gonna have to play money. Making that new content takes developer's time and they're not gonna do it for free.

Slybri
12-18-05, 06:07 PM
You'll be amazed at how much money you actually save when you're addicted to an MMO. Not buying other games, going out bar hopping, having a social life, or caring about the real world can save you LOTS of money. 15$ a month is a lot cheaper than crack, heroin, or hookers! (xmasgrin)

I'm interested in this Huxley game. Sure, an MMOFPS is an odd idea and Planetside sucked. But hopefully they have learned from SOE's mistakes. And it does look awful purty.
I'm hoping the mobs drop loot when you kill them. Loot is what really makes MMO's addictive. Also, if they are doing it cross platform, with the XBOX 360 and PC, then mouse users will have a huge advantage over the thumb-slingers. Any FPS for the console is automatically gimped. MMO's even more so.