PDA

View Full Version : Minimum memory with todays games

Son Goku
12-17-05, 02:19 PM
What are people's views on this. Now having an A64, and more hard drive space (the 100 GB USB I got to do school labs that are now done), the next main thing (other then older gfx card) is only having 512 MB RAM. Attached is what Task Manager is showing for current usage.

Obviously I need at least a gig, and it will probably be more like 2 after Windows Vista is released. But what do you guys thing...will I be beating my head up against the wall if I buy anything new?

BTW, the CPU usage is up due to distributed computing projects, but they're set to an NT priority level just over the idle thread, so will relinquish CPU time to anything. Hell even folding@home (when I used to run that in addition to BOINC) had a higher CPU priority level then this...

superklye
12-17-05, 02:26 PM
1GB for sure, but 2 is quickly becoming needed as bloat increases.

Edge
12-17-05, 04:59 PM
For games like Battlefield 2, 2GB is almost required. It's likely more games will follow suit, so it certainly wouldn't hurt to put in 2GB just to make sure future games won't suffer as well. But you can probably hold out with 1GB for a while if you can handle the occasional stuttering or mainly play older games. Personally, I'm upgrading to 2GB from 1GB in a few weeks because I've noticed my RAM usage has been dipping into my page file quite regularly. Right now, RAM is cheap enough that you might as well get as much as you can.

Son Goku
12-17-05, 05:10 PM
Yeah, this is pretty much what I've thought. Unfortunately I don't have, as of right now enough money for 1 GB...though I have been tempted to try some newer games. I've been holding off, even with an A64, and yet also wish I could play some of the newer titles comming out.

I guess then I should just save up for more RAM? It's actually worse then it looks, as this is my old RAM (aka running at a DDR 266 MHz bus, on an A64 which supports 400 MHz DDR), bleh... The saving grace in that is that it's a socket 939 A64. BTW, that amount of swapping represented basically what I'm seeing at the desktop, just running the browser here, along with what normally runs in the background...

Edge
12-17-05, 05:42 PM
If you're really tight on cash, you could pick up 2 sticks now (2x512 kits go for around $70 on newegg), and then later pick up another 2 sticks (preferable of the exact same type so there won't be any issues).

OWA
12-17-05, 06:06 PM
Yeah, get 2 gig if you can. I can see first hand how much 2 gig helps vs 1 gig even with a 512M video card. I also think I got less hitching with 2 gig and a 256M video card than I'm getting with 1gig and a 512M video card. Plus, with 2 gig you get control of the system immediately after the game exits. With 1 gig and some of the games like BF2 and FEAR, you have to wait a bit after it exits before you can do anything.

Infinity666
12-17-05, 06:13 PM
the jump from 512mb to 1gb is almost as big as 1gb to 2gb in some cases like bf2 especially when unloading the game and getting back to windows

Son Goku
12-17-05, 07:49 PM
thx for the input guys... I guess as much as I would like to see some of the newer games, I'm best saving my cash for the RAM first. At 512 MB, I'm getting swapping delays sometimes sitting at a desktop and just clicking the start menu. Such just should not happen with an A64 :rofl

Perhaps with 1 GB I'll be able to hold off on the second, and play something newer, at least for awhile? I'm gathering I'll definitely need 2 Gig before I consider Vista however...

Q
12-19-05, 05:34 PM
You are definetly going to definetly appreciate going from 512 to a gig. But just imagine the pants crapping experience of going from 512 to 2 gigs! :D

OWA
12-19-05, 06:45 PM
Also, system will run at least 3 times faster if you get rid of the pink color scheme. (xmasmile)