PDA

View Full Version : Can I just throw in a X2-4400 replacing my Athlon64-3500+ with no issues ?

SirDingo
12-17-05, 03:26 PM
I want to upgrade my old Athlon64-3500+, would like to try out the new X2-4400 or maybe save a penny and go Athlon64-4000+ ?

I mainly just play two games, WoW + BattleField2, which one would be the bigger improvement ? Main reason getting rid of the 3500+ is to give my Brother a Christmas present :)

Also I have the Abit An8 SLI Fatality, can I just turn off the system, remove the 3500 and pop in the new X2-4400, running Win2k, with no problems ?

Thanks

superklye
12-17-05, 03:30 PM
You may have to update to the latest BIOS, but besides that, yes, you can just throw it in and go.

dandano
12-18-05, 01:20 PM
I had some problems with X2 upgrades until I found and installed the AMD cpu driver for dual cores. Since then, np.

danh

Sazar
12-18-05, 03:18 PM
Yah, probably change the bios if needed and install the dual core driver to replace the single and you should be fine.

Son Goku
12-18-05, 04:41 PM
At least the mobo I have (and some others I was looking at) will accept this upgrade. As some have indicated, a BIOS update might be needed, unless you've done this already (I did one for venice core uni-procs, which happens to include the updates for X2s already)...

If in doubt, check your mobo makers website; though, with what info we have, I don't see it as a no go...

bugmage
12-19-05, 09:39 AM
I would go through and uninstall all the motherboard stuff from the hardware manager hitting dont reboot every time, i swapped between a P4 and a amd XP like that with no guff from xp :)

in this case i would go do to defalut bios/flash if needbe, boot to xp, just removed amd cpu drivers from add or remove then the cpu itself in hardware manager then shutdown, and swap out and boot and load new drives, should be simple.