PDA

View Full Version : Going for another PC upgrade, got a question.

sanius
12-18-05, 08:51 AM
Alright. So, last year I upgraded my videocard to a geforce 6800 NU (from a geforce 2 (xmasgrin)). But little did I know, that I was in need for a memory and CPU upgrade. I had only 512 MB, and an AMD 2500+ XP. So I quickly found myself getting pretty average framerates on HL2 and not enjoying the game with HQ textures like I was hoping.

So, i'm going to upgrade my RAM and CPU this christmas! (The parts are already ordered (xmasmile) Along with a new motherboard and BF2 :)

But, it's probably not worth asking, but i'm curious. Since i'm going from a 2500+ XP to a 3200+ 64-bit, and 512 mb DDR to 1 gig DDR (333 mhz to 400 mhz), what kind of preformance should I expect out of current games like F.E.A.R, quake 4, HL2, ect.

I admit this isn't really worth asking, and I am not trying to brag; but i'm just curious.

nV`andrew
12-18-05, 11:27 AM
You should notice a big difference because your processor wont be bottlenecking your system. In the future, maybe like at easter or something, u can pick up another gig of ram because many games are demanding that now.

a12ctic
12-18-05, 11:37 AM
Pretty big difference the cpu wont bottleneck you anymore and youll get faster load times, not much more than that though.

dandano
12-18-05, 01:11 PM
So what kind of motherboard are you getting?

danh