PDA

View Full Version : Apple 23" at less than Full Res in SLI Possible?

Bulldoggie
12-18-05, 08:10 PM
In non-sli mode I can access all the various resolution settings without a hitch. When I switch sli on, tho, I can only play at full res 1920x1200. At all lower res's it still appears the display is stuck at 1920x1200 with an unstable version of the lower res screen tucked in the upper left corner and a second "copy" of the lower res screen immediately below it. To the right of these the screen is blank.

For many games the SLI has enough gas for me to use 1920x1200, but for FEAR I'm better of playing in non-sli on a single card so I can lower the res. Any help would be most appreciated!

OWA
12-18-05, 09:24 PM
What is the scaling option set to? I'm can run lower resolutions fine on the Dell 24" LCD. Set the scaling option to centered for easy verification. If you use a lower resolution, it should display the result in the middle of the screen probably with black bars all around the picture (depending on the res chosen).

Zelda_fan
12-18-05, 11:56 PM
What is the scaling option set to? I'm can run lower resolutions fine on the Dell 24" LCD. Set the scaling option to centered for easy verification. If you use a lower resolution, it should display the result in the middle of the screen probably with black bars all around the picture (depending on the res chosen).

how do you get to this menu option?

saturnotaku
12-19-05, 05:34 AM

You probably have to have an LCD or other display connected via DVI. My monitor is analog and I don't have that option.

Superfly
12-19-05, 06:25 AM
Could someone with flat panel experience tell me which is the better method:

"Display Adaptor Scaling" or "Monitor Scaling" or does this vary depending on the type of panel and driver revision.

thanks.

OWA
12-19-05, 10:55 AM

Under Nview, click the device settings button and then the device adjustments option or you can right-click the monitor and choose the device adjustment option.

Could someone with flat panel experience tell me which is the better method:

"Display Adaptor Scaling" or "Monitor Scaling" or does this vary depending on the type of panel and driver revision.
I've tried both and didn't really notice a difference image-wise. I usually use the fixed-aspect ratio scaling or centered (if I don't want any scaling or if I want to make sure I'm using a lower-resolution).

Actually, that's another option I wish we could specify in the profiles.

At all lower res's it still appears the display is stuck at 1920x1200 with an unstable version of the lower res screen tucked in the upper left corner and a second "copy" of the lower res screen immediately below it. To the right of these the screen is blank.

If you haven't double-checked this already, make sure you're plugged into the first card and not the second one. Also, if you are plugged into the first card already, try the other DVI port on the first card.

Superfly
12-19-05, 11:03 AM
I've tried both and didn't really notice a difference image-wise. I usually use the fixed-aspect ratio scaling or centered (if I don't want any scaling or if I want to make sure I'm using a lower-resolution).

Actually, that's another option I wish we could specify in the profiles.

Great Idea!! - I've just logged a feature request on NVD.

Bulldoggie
12-19-05, 03:40 PM

When I switch over to SLI mode the Digital Flat Panel Settings vanishes. If I set it to Centered in non-SLI mode and then switch over it makes no difference. Does your Setting stab vanish in SLI mode?

OWA
12-19-05, 03:44 PM
No, I took all those shots with SLI enabled.

Did you double-check to make sure the monitor is plugged into the first card and not the second. I've had weird issues when I accidentally plugged the monitor into the 2nd card. I'd also try the other DVI port also since they're not the same.

Bulldoggie
12-19-05, 07:23 PM
No, I took all those shots with SLI enabled.

Did you double-check to make sure the monitor is plugged into the first card and not the second. I've had weird issues when I accidentally plugged the monitor into the 2nd card. I'd also try the other DVI port also since they're not the same.

Tried switching the Ports. Didn't solve the resolution problem, but the images are now rock stable. I'm going to try the other card/ports shortly.

Looking over your shots (many thanks for the effort), I noticed you are running NView, which I have not installed. Are you using version 4.13 WDM?

OWA
12-19-05, 07:30 PM
I didn't enable nview, I just get that option in the menu when the drivers are installed. I recently installed the 4.13 WDM drivers but didn't have them installed for quite a while since the latest nvidia drivers were incompatible with them (until the 4.13s were released). I basically just installed the 4.13s a few days ago.

Edit: Also, you may want to try PM'ing Oldskool. I think he had a 30" Apple LCD connected to his system so he might be able to offer more insight.

Jimi
12-20-05, 02:59 PM
I didn't enable nview, I just get that option in the menu when the drivers are installed. I recently installed the 4.13 WDM drivers but didn't have them installed for quite a while since the latest nvidia drivers were incompatible with them (until the 4.13s were released). I basically just installed the 4.13s a few days ago.

Edit: Also, you may want to try PM'ing Oldskool. I think he had a 30" Apple LCD connected to his system so he might be able to offer more insight.

Guys all of these problems are related to the Apple Panel not having a built in scaler. NV45 SLI has some issues with scaling that prevent the GPU from scaling and display those lower resolutions.

OWA
12-20-05, 03:01 PM
Oh, thanks for the info.

Bulldoggie
12-20-05, 08:32 PM
Guys all of these problems are related to the Apple Panel not having a built in scaler. NV45 SLI has some issues with scaling that prevent the GPU from scaling and display those lower resolutions.

Thanks for providing an answer, even though it's not the one I want!

Any idea if /when there will be a fix to enable GPU scaling?

Superfly
12-21-05, 06:18 AM
It cant be fixed AFAIK at least not by NVIDIA's drivers.
You see its not really an NVIDIA issue - rather a hardware issue with the Apple screens.

Bulldoggie
12-21-05, 04:22 PM
It cant be fixed AFAIK at least not by NVIDIA's drivers.
You see its not really an NVIDIA issue - rather a hardware issue with the Apple screens.

Surely that can't be right. It works at all resolutions with a single card or in non-SLI mode (I've tried both). Only when it's put in SLI mode is the ability to go non-native lost. Note the 23" is a single DVI input monitor unlike the 30", so in all modes there's only one connection to the monitor.

Bulldoggie
12-21-05, 04:25 PM
Tried switching the Ports. Didn't solve the resolution problem, but the images are now rock stable. I'm going to try the other card/ports shortly.

I tried the other ports with no luck. Also installed the latest nView with no luck either. Sigh.

Superfly
12-21-05, 04:37 PM
As Jimi said

"NV45 SLI has some issues with scaling that prevent the GPU from scaling and displaying those lower resolutions"

Thus it will scale to lower res in non SLi mode but NOT with SLi enabled.

newer chipsets have resolved this issue I believe

Bulldoggie
12-22-05, 08:28 PM
Ahh well, at least now I know. Many thanks to Jimi and Superfly for helping on this. Special thanks to OWA for all the suggestions. I hope to return the favor to the forums soon.

OWA
12-23-05, 03:56 PM
No problem, sorry none of my suggestions helped.