PDA

View Full Version : Breaking news about MGS4!

kev13dd
12-18-05, 07:24 PM
http://www.xbox365.com/news.cgi?id=GGPriPLuLd12160521

Well, maybe not breaking news

Maybe some nuance or a small details here and there might be different, but I feel that hardware is no longer a matter. I'm just talking about PS3, 360 and PC. Revolution is totally different, but there are really no differences among the other three

It may be fanboyish to make a new thread about this, but I'm so tired of being completely drowned in people who keep saying "PS3 WILL RULE, LOOK AT MGS4, GRAPHICS KING 4 SURE!" that I had to at least get that out there

(cheers)

K

Q
12-18-05, 07:45 PM
Isn't this more breaking news about...console hardware...if its breaking.

Its ok to be a fanboy sometimes. ;)

Edit: Dude also said about the 360: "Maybe some nuance or a small details here and there might be different, but I feel that hardware is no longer a matter."

Mr. Hunt
12-18-05, 08:24 PM
1.) Already posted
2.) We know
3.) If the game is too large, there would be some issues (either it would be multiple DVDs, or some stuff would have to be cut/compressed...)

Edge
12-19-05, 02:19 AM
Well, I wouldn't see a problem with the game being on multiple discs. MGS1 was on 2 discs, after all.

brady
12-19-05, 07:41 AM
As far as I know, the only real advantage in going from DVD to Blue-Ray is HD video. Some people have said higher res textures, however I don't believe the PS3 will be able to use textures any higher res than what the 360 already uses. Therefore, the obvious solution would be that games on the PS3 would use HD video, while the 360 games would simply use SD video. The gameplay would still remain nearly identical.

|MaguS|
12-19-05, 07:51 AM
About the textures... while the PS3 and x360 are the same on quality, the PS3 will be able to hold alot more by a great margin... that means a better variety of textures. I wouldn't dout that will be one of the nuances that Kojima is mentioning.

Yes I know they could always go Multi Disc but developers really don't like doing that unless 100% manditory (Kojima is one, Reason MGS2 and MGS3 werent 2 DVDs).

brady
12-19-05, 07:57 AM
About the textures... while the PS3 and x360 are the same on quality, the PS3 will be able to hold alot more by a great margin... that means a better variety of textures. I wouldn't dout that will be one of the nuances that Kojima is mentioning.

Yes I know they could always go Multi Disc but developers really don't like doing that unless 100% manditory (Kojima is one, Reason MGS2 and MGS3 werent 2 DVDs).

Your right about the variety. I forgot about that. (xmastong) DANG IT!!! I don't want my 360 anymore.

|MaguS|
12-19-05, 08:26 AM
I want mine back, I wana play NFS:MW! :(

Mr. Hunt
12-19-05, 10:38 AM
I want mine back, I wana play NFS:MW! :(

I played that the other day at Best Buy and I didn't care for it... played some split screen with my brother while we were there and there was some pretty crazy "hitching" at too many spots (especially when passing traffic)... turned me off from that game.

PS- I played Guitar Hero finally and that game is freaking AWESOME!

Nv40
12-19-05, 02:52 PM
IMHO is no contest between PS3 and Xbox360.. (xmasgrin)
Better Hardware ,Graphics and the best games too.. SUperior Physics and larger textures in games.. Bluray can store up to 5xtimes more data that DVD. THe Xbox360 cannot even handle QUake4 without getting slow frame rates. While idsoftware is thinking in a "Super" Doom3 version just for the PS3. Ask EPic.. Gears of WArs in Xbox360 is a lower version of the original game that being originally developed for the PC,WHile in the PS3 version of UT2k7 that will be released also on PC have exactly the same graphics than the PC version and plays FAster . (xmasmile)

MArk Rein: “ There’s no difference in what you see running of this test bed PC [a high-end system with a $500+ NVIDIA 7800GTX video card] and the PS3, which is really amazing. ...People are going to be totally blown away when the get a PS3 and play it,” Rein continued. “PC gamers are used to having the absolute cutting edge graphics – console players are just going to say ‘Wow!’” As for how PS3 will ultimately run the game? “When you see the [final] game running on PS3, it’s going to be smoother [than on the PC]. For the record, [at]720p, totally un-optimized build running on hardware less powerful than the final PS3 spec was clipping along at 49fps.”

Dont get me wrong , I know Xbox360 is a great console and will have great games but its unthinkable that 2 diferent multib companies like SOny and MS with the help of IBM ,with 2 diferent goals (MS wanted best price/performance console vs. Sony who wanted faster console ever made),using diferent teams of engineers (that could not talk or see what the other was doing) ,with 2 diferent GPus (ATi/Nv) designed a very complex and advanced console in diferent timeframes about (6 months diference) and that in the end both consoles performs about the same. :nuts: .

Its easier to win the lottery than to see a technology miracle like that to ever happen.You can be sure the significant hardware diferences will show up somewhere in games . Is wishfull thinking to say both are about the same because there are significant diferences that exist in each console arquitecture . Any developer that says they are more or less "about the same" is for diplomatic reasons..because according to Crytek when they tested the consoles they are far from each other in performance.. even thought they never told wich one is faster ,but is not dificult too imagine ,which console could be the one that they believe is much faster . :)

The only way a game can look identical in both consoles is when developers targets the lowest common graphics capabilities of the slower machine and dont use the extra power of the faster one. This happen many times in PC games that targets the entry level market, (eg. Doom3) that look more or less about the same in video cards like a Geforce3 all the way to SLI in G70's ,same with Doom3 version in Xbox1. Where essentialy the main diferences between the game in diferent hardware is the level of resolutions, AA and AF they use. in summary if Kojima wanted he could make MGS4 to look identical between PS3 and Xbox360 or PC , even if there were nigh to day diferences in performance between the hardware. All he needs to do is to target the maximun graphics capabilities of the slower system.

Edge
12-19-05, 05:48 PM
Is it just me, or are NV40's pointless rants getting as bad as AthlonXP64's?

overheat
12-19-05, 06:15 PM
Is it just me, or are NV40's pointless rants getting as bad as AthlonXP64's?

yep its getting old :(

|MaguS|
12-19-05, 06:28 PM
I can't even agree with him...

OWA
12-19-05, 06:43 PM
Consoles are for kids. (xmastong)

kev13dd
12-20-05, 02:40 AM
I can't even agree with him...

Why not. Common, he said that Doom 3 looks the same on a Geforce 3 as it does on dual 7800 GTXs. Why can't you agree with that? (xmastong)

K