PDA

View Full Version : wait what? QUAKE 4 ram usage???? wtf?

bugmage
12-18-05, 09:58 PM
I installed quake 4 turned up all the graphics and wow 1.7 gb of pagefile usage + using up all but 90mb of my 2gigs of system ram, and i have 256mb on my my graphics card so this game thats on a 4gb iso the 1st lvl takes up over 4gb of RAM????

ok well i have 241 and 300mb in ram before hand but still 3.5gb of ram for the first lvl????

|MaguS|
12-18-05, 10:08 PM
Buy it and you wouldn't need to run an emulator in the background that eats up ram.

Q
12-18-05, 10:16 PM
Buy it and you wouldn't need to run an emulator in the background that eats up ram.

Thats a pretty strong assumption there. Why would he even need to emulate it though? Wasn't the CD check removed in the last update?

Edit: I just checked my own levels and I hit about 1 Gig total for pagefile usage and 1.2 gigs for total memory usage.

bugmage
12-18-05, 10:25 PM
Im wondering if i should reinstall it, how much ram does it take you guys to run it?

Q
12-18-05, 10:30 PM
I would definetly patch it to the newest version first. If that doesn't work try a reinstall. It sounds like a memory leak.

...or...you're loading a giant image in D-Tools or something similiar. But that would be making a strong assumption. :D

bugmage
12-18-05, 10:37 PM
no i fixed it, its my stupid asus AI program. I closed it and it went down a lot, thanks guys!, stupid asus

ps ill watch you tonight carl

Q
12-18-05, 10:50 PM
ps ill watch you tonight carl

Thanks. (xmastong)

And thanks for reminding me, I almost forgot it came on tonight! I'm glad you figured out what was causing the issue. Remind me to never use Asus software.

Nutty
12-19-05, 07:31 AM
Edit: I just checked my own levels and I hit about 1 Gig total for pagefile usage and 1.2 gigs for total memory usage.

So total - pagefile = 200MB of ram used ? Given you've got 2 gigs why doesn't it hold more in RAM ?

I get a similar problem at work. I recently upgraded to 2 gigs, but windows just pages like anything when I get close to 1 gig.. I cant seem to use all my ram up at all.. its really annoying. I'm even tempted to just turn the page file off completely.

Sorry for random comment.. ;)