PDA

View Full Version : Any way to get rid of blurry textures in FS2004 on Nvidia Cards?

loafer87gt
12-19-05, 02:53 AM
This used to be my favorite game back when I had a 9800 Pro, but since I upgraded to a 6800 GT I can no longer stand to play the game because it is a blurry mess. I have tried various .cfg tweaks, reinstalling the game, playing around with different Nvidia control panel settings, but still no luck - the game still looks like ass. Where as on my old ATI card the terrain textures were sharp out the horizon, on my Nvidia card it is only sharp immediately below my aircraft.

My system is a dual Xeon 3.4 with 2 gigs of ram and a 6800 GT. I have the game installed on a recently defragged 74GB raptor. I am at a loss as to what else to try to get the game to look half as good as it did on my dated 9800 card. Anybody have any suggestions?

Superfly
12-19-05, 04:10 AM
could we have a screen shot comparison between the 68GT and what its actually meant to look like.

thanks.

EDIT: Is this the bug that has been around for ages?? - someone else mentioned FS as a problem.

thanks.

OWA
12-19-05, 11:16 AM
Use 16xAF and HQ mode?

loafer87gt
12-19-05, 06:42 PM
Hey Superfly - no this isn't the same problem as the corrupt terrain textures issue that exists with the 80 series of drivers. I should have mentioned in my OP that I am using the 78.05 drivers.

I haven't got any pictures to describe the problem - but it almost like no anistotropic filtering is being applied. Like I said earlier, textures in the immediate area around your plan are nice and sharp, but textures further away are a blurry unrecognizable mess, no matter what settings one applies. OWA, I have tried forcing 16 x AF and setting my control panel to HQ, but this makes no difference. The really odd thing is that if you are flying along and bank back and forth, at certain bank angles the textures sharpen up. This is why I thought originally it might be a anisotropic filtering optimization in the NV drivers that was causing the issues. But, if I understand correctly, setting HQ mode in the driver should disable all the driver filtering optimizations, correct?

It's just really frustrating, because framerates are blisteringly high even at 1920x1200 at 4x AA, scads faster than my 9800 Pro, but the visual quality is no where in the same league. If I had another machine to put the 9800 to take some screenies, I would.

Thanks for the replies, BTW.

agentkay
12-20-05, 02:08 AM
Do you have a 6800 series card? The last time I played FS2004 it must have been around the early 70s drivers (71.89), and AF worked perfectly back then. If I find some time, IŽll install FS2004 again and try out the current 81.95.

OWA
12-20-05, 02:37 AM
Download fraps (www.fraps.com) and take a screenshot or two and then post them using http://imageshack.us/ or http://www.supload.com/

Superfly
12-20-05, 04:51 AM
Do you have a 6800 series card? The last time I played FS2004 it must have been around the early 70s drivers (71.89), and AF worked perfectly back then. If I find some time, IŽll install FS2004 again and try out the current 81.95.

lol, when i scanned through this I thought you meant the 1970's!!! (im not awake yet)

agentkay
12-20-05, 11:28 AM
Thats funny. lol I was a little tired myself and probably wrote it somewhat misleading. lol

MadKent
05-13-06, 10:20 PM
This used to be my favorite game back when I had a 9800 Pro, but since I upgraded to a 6800 GT I can no longer stand to play the game because it is a blurry mess. I have tried various .cfg tweaks, reinstalling the game, playing around with different Nvidia control panel settings, but still no luck - the game still looks like ass. Where as on my old ATI card the terrain textures were sharp out the horizon, on my Nvidia card it is only sharp immediately below my aircraft.

I hear ya, have the exact same issue since I upgraded to 7800 GS from 9800 Pro.

While researching this for a solution I stumbled upon documents that referred to the 9700 Pro and 9800 Pro as being Microsoft's reference hardware when FS2004 was in the development phase, and that ATI techies were actually involved in the FS2004 project. So I guess there are features on newer cards (apparently recent ATI cards have similar issues with the sim) that the FS2004 graphics engine simply cannot deal with.

Not saying there is no way to fix this, but it sure isn't obvious.

einstein_314
05-14-06, 02:18 AM
Hmm, I'm running Flight Simulator 2004 on my SLI'd 7800GTX's with the 84.56 nvidia drivers and anistropic filtering seems to work fine...I'm running it at 8xAA/16xAF. My only problem is I can't get the stupid menus to work. :(