PDA

View Full Version : Bad Newegg & Bad Luck

Tr1cK
12-19-05, 10:32 AM
So Newegg continues to dissappoint around my house. First with internal delays and shipping errors, and now the icing on the cake.

My roommate got me to order his upgrade components for him from Newegg (he has no credit card). He went with a Biostar TForce 6100, EVGA 6800GS, and my old winchester 3500. I also orderd a Sony USB floppy for myself. The mobo, video card, and floppy all came in an adequately sized box with no signs of damage to it at all. Upon opening the box, I found the EVGA box with one end open and the card in its bubble-wrap sleeve with no tray or other packaging around. Weird, I thought, my BFG was in a plastic tray. I went on to looking at the mobo while he opened the video card and found two capacitors had broke off!!!

So I fixed it.

I had worked for Ericsson years ago soldering components to boards under microscopes and am very proficient at it. The best I had to work with at home though was a $11 Radioshack iron. It was a tight fit on one side of one of the caps, but I managed to pull off an almost factory looking solder connection at all 4 spots. The card was saved, and no RMA for my poor roomy who can't afford to ship it back, much less do without his new piece of hardware.

The next hurdle was due to a lack of planning. The new mobo has a 24 pin power connector and his Antec has only a 20 pin. UGH! When I told the guy he needed a new PSU or an adapter (which I didn't think they made a 20 to 24 pin at the time), he was all tore up due to not having the cash and time to get anything else. After some research, I found that I could splice into 4 of the 20 wires and get what I needed for the 24 pin, but how do I connect it? A little looking around and I found that the 4 pin connector that goes to the board is almost the same fit/design. I dug up a generic PSU that come in some generic case that I never used and cannibalized it. All I had to do was to cut some of the "side" off both the 20 pin and 4 pin connector after splicing them together, and give a little extra force when plugging into the board, and BAM! It worked.

So after a brutal PC build on Friday, he has a very sweet running machine for the dollar. The winchester is at 240x10 with 166 mem and the video card autodetected at 517/1170, which I then set to 500/1.1. The damn thing outscores mine in 3dmark05 with a 5860 vs a 5520! Needless to say I'm proud that I managed to get it together and it run so well. I am also very dissappointed in Newegg as they seemed to be continuously falling off.

saturnotaku
12-19-05, 10:41 AM
I hate to break it to you because I know you worked hard on this, but a 20-pin PSU connection will work on a 24-pin board just fine. I was able to run a 6600 GT SLI setup that way until I could retrieve the 20-to-24-pin adapter out of my power supply box, which was in storage.

Tr1cK
12-19-05, 10:58 AM
I hate to break it to you because I know you worked hard on this, but a 20-pin PSU connection will work on a 24-pin board just fine. I was able to run a 6600 GT SLI setup that way until I could retrieve the 20-to-24-pin adapter out of my power supply box, which was in storage.

So you are saying just plug it in off to the side and leave the other 4 open? The PSU issue wasn't a biggie. Newegg sending a $205 card out as new when it is obviously a return item was my biggest issue.

Anybody else ever post a "bad" review of an item on Newegg and it not stick before? I had bought a mobo a while back and they never listed my review as the thing was a thorough piece of **** with major compatibility issues. It's sad to see the once greatest online retailer go completely to ****.

Riptide
12-19-05, 11:04 AM
I've had lots of bad memory from newegg. Lots. As in 4 kits now, OCZ and GSkill.

Never a problem with their shipping, prices, or customer service though.

KickAssCop
12-19-05, 11:20 AM
I also read on eVGA forums that a whole batch of eVGA motherboards and 7800GT deals at the egg after 16th November were returned eVGA motherboards with their shrink wrap removed and/or seals broken. eVGA went ahead and asked people to ship their motherboards back to eVGA so that they can replace them for brand new ones. Well, props to eVGA but if I ever spend my hard earned cash on a new product, I expect it to be packed and not damaged.

I have not had a bad experience with newegg thus far, but still I would be pissed off at a returned card.

Absolution
12-19-05, 11:43 AM
my bfg 7800 gtx came with just bubble rap and no tray like my bfg 6800 gt

sounds like something @ evga if everyone is having problems

Shamrock
12-19-05, 10:02 PM

Saturn is correct, the 20 pin will work in the 24 pin mobo. I "think" you move it to the left of the plug. Leave the other 4 open. The other 4 "I think" is for the new format of ITX.

I've had lots of bad memory from newegg. Lots. As in 4 kits now, OCZ and GSkill.

You get what you pay for. Buy Corsair, Patriot, Mushkin, Kingston, or Crucial. Both of those ram co's are below par on quality. I have bought Corsair, Patriot, and Crucial from Newegg, and never had an RMA with them.

Starscream
12-19-05, 10:53 PM
So you are saying just plug it in off to the side and leave the other 4 open?

Yeah he's right, the 20 pin power supply connector will only actually fit in to one end of the 24 pin motherboard connector. It's been my experience though that sometimes el cheapo 20 pin power supplies don't work on 24 pin boards, but better quality 20 pin ones or any 24 pin ones do.

Riptide
12-19-05, 10:58 PM
You get what you pay for. Buy Corsair, Patriot, Mushkin, Kingston, or Crucial.I've got a bad kit from Mushkin. Black level II (winbond BH5). A buddy also got a bad kit of the same stuff from them.

I have extremely bad luck with some (memory/motherboards) components. To the point of ridiculous. This is documented fact. (rudolf)

Tr1cK
12-20-05, 07:35 AM
I've got a bad kit from Mushkin. Black level II (winbond BH5). A buddy also got a bad kit of the same stuff from them.

I have extremely bad luck with some (memory/motherboards) components. To the point of ridiculous. This is documented fact. (rudolf)

Yea, I remember seeing your posts about the memories. This is my first real bad experience with them out of many so I can't flat out say they suck.....yet.

uOpt
12-20-05, 10:18 AM
If you use a 20-pin PSU on a 24-pin mainboard you should invest the 5 bucks for an adapter. The mainboard has the 24 pins because it wants to reduce the electric load on the individual lanes on the mainboard.

I just had a very positive surprise with newegg and UPS. I was pissed off when they switched to UPS because UPS here north of Boston are morons. However, Friday pretty late in the evening I ordered a set of G.Skill HZ and a notebook cooler with 3-day UPS shipping. They were supposed to arrive Wednesday and Thursaday, respectively, but both packages where there when I returned home yesterday evening (Monday).

PaiN
12-20-05, 12:41 PM
Over the years newegg has been a jem, I loved them...and basicly ordered nowhere else. With the latest builds and ordering I have to say for the first time ever, I'm dissappointed. No idea what's up with the egg, but I am not happy.
I hope things get back to the way it was....

ENU291
12-20-05, 01:31 PM
Newegg is falling into the classic "to big for your own good" scenario. Back when they where not as big customer service was exceptional. Now that they have established themselves as one of the premier online retailers they are focusing on quantity not quality.

CainSyris
12-20-05, 06:03 PM
Newegg is falling into the classic "to big for your own good" scenario. Back when they where not as big customer service was exceptional. Now that they have established themselves as one of the premier online retailers they are focusing on quantity not quality.

Not to mention their prices (for merchandise and shipping) is now just comparable where it was once compelling.

nV`andrew
12-20-05, 09:34 PM
I love living where I live, on Sunday I ordered a bunch of PC parts and my eVGA mobo and 7800GT from newegg and it got here early this morning using ups 3 days(xmasmile).

Shamrock
12-20-05, 10:32 PM
I've got a bad kit from Mushkin. Black level II (winbond BH5). A buddy also got a bad kit of the same stuff from them.

whoa, really? I have had one bad set of Mushkin Ram, but it wasnt Mushkin's fault. It was MSI's faulty mobo! It had defective short on the ram slots, and it shorted out everything (talk about a frenzy), needless to say, Mushkin replaced it for free, and MSI replaced the mobo. That's the only bad RAM situation I've ever had.

What the heck you do with RAM? pee on it? (xmastong)

Infinity666
12-21-05, 12:37 AM
The only time I have ever had a problem with newegg was a shiping prob and wasnt there fualt the switch from fed-ex to ups was a bad one imo.

nemecb
12-21-05, 09:54 AM
I've had a couple of bad experiences with NewEgg, only one of which was entirely their fault. The first was when they were slow shipping out some new RAM that I wanted for a LAN party so that it got there the Monday after. I think it took 3 or 4 days to ship even with my prodding when it didn't ship the day after I ordered (most of the time my orders ship same day, and almost always the next).

The next was when I returned an item that wasn't working correctly for a replacement and when it got there they told me that they don't carry that item any more so instead they were crediting me the original price. Had I known that I would have just kept the defective item because it wasn't worth sending it back for a refund (it partially worked and wasn't that expensive).

Oh, and I have had a negative review rejected for no good reason. I bought a USB wireless adapter for my Grandma's Win 98 computer so she could connect to my cable internet and after trying it discovered that despite the fact that the compatibility lists 98, wireless USB adapters don't work unless you have 98SE. I tried to say as much in my review and they rejected it. That kind of pissed me off. They did take it back without a restocking fee though.

I have heard that they sometimes send out refurbs as new, but haven't had it happen to me so far.

Fathertime36
12-23-05, 03:10 AM
Saturn is correct, the 20 pin will work in the 24 pin mobo. I "think" you move it to the left of the plug. Leave the other 4 open. The other 4 "I think" is for the new format of ITX.

You get what you pay for. Buy Corsair, Patriot, Mushkin, Kingston, or Crucial. Both of those ram co's are below par on quality. I have bought Corsair, Patriot, and Crucial from Newegg, and never had an RMA with them.

Huh? OCZ is sub-par? since when?

Yeah, what the hell was Newegg thinking when the chose to start using UPS instead of Fed-Ex?

Riptide
12-23-05, 08:31 AM
whoa, really? I have had one bad set of Mushkin Ram, but it wasnt Mushkin's fault.
It was Mushkin's fault in my case. My buddy, who also got one bad kit of black Level 2 from them - it also was not his fault. We are both anal about handling parts with kit gloves. We ground ourselves religiously, etc.. Nothing we did caused those problems. Period.