PDA

View Full Version : Windows Won't start, please help!

bonchez
12-19-05, 12:56 PM
Ok, so my computer:
Windows XP Professional with SP 2 - Operating System
Evga 133-K8-NF41 nForce 4 SLI - Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice - Processor
2 GB (2X 1GB PC3200) - Ram
nVidia Geforce 7800GT 256mb PCI-E - Video Card
160 GB 7200RPMs SATA 150 - Harddrive

Has been having a problem with starting up Windows XP Pro for maybe about a month now. When I push the power button the Motherboard splash screen comes up like it should, then it quickly shows the system test info then it would normally start up windows. But, now when it should start up windows I get an error that says

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or currupt:
\Windows\System32\Config\System
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows setup using the original CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair"

I have of course tried this, only to fail. I set in the bios the first boot drive to the CD-Rom drive, when there is a system disk in the drive it says "Boot from Cd" for a few seconds and then that error comes up again. I've tried all sort of ways to try and fix this, I even took everything out of my computer except the motherboard and put it all back together. I tried taking out my sata 160GB harddrive and putting a never been used ata 120GB, the only difference is when I have the 120Gb and the Windows XP pro setup disk it says something about a boot drive failure and to insert a boot disc. so, that's pretty much it, I haven't got to use my new computer that is only a few months old in about a month, so can anyone please help me?

jAkUp
12-19-05, 01:02 PM
Have you reinstalled Windows? You are not using the same installation of windows that you did on your old system are you?

The reason you see that message about "boot from CD" Is because you need to press any key on the keyboard to start the installation process.

bonchez
12-19-05, 01:08 PM
I have tried to reinstall windows, but like I said when the CD is in it says boot from CD it goes right to that error. And when I do push any key when it says that the computer restarts.

rewt
12-19-05, 01:35 PM
\Windows\System32\Config\System is part of the Windows registry. The registry may in fact be corrupt.

What you need to do to boot from the XP CD-ROM is make sure you have your hard drive jumper setting to master, on the primary IDE or ATA channel/controller. Then make sure your CD-ROM jumper setting is also set master, but have this on your secondary IDE channel/controller. Set the BIOS to boot from secondary master (your CD-ROM drive). Boot up the PC, when it asks you to hit a key, do so. Then it should load up Installing Windows and you could then either reinstall the OS totally or if you choose to do a repair on the system registry files.

*Note: If you have a usb keyboard you may run into problems booting from the CD. Make sure USB keyboard support is enabled in the BIOS and jumper settings on your eVGA motherboard.

bonchez
12-19-05, 03:07 PM
I think I know what I need to do to fix it. The problem now lies with cd. A friend of mine sent me a file called windows xp pro sp 2.iso, it's similar to the original one I installed, the original one I installed was Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2. Now that I have this file what do I do as far as making it a bootable cd so I can start the Windows XP installation or repair process?

dandano
12-19-05, 03:09 PM
you need a program to burn the iso image to a cd

there may be a free one at someplace like download.com. I usually use Roxio Easy CD Creator or Nero, whichever is handy.

danh

bonchez
12-19-05, 03:17 PM
I have Nero installed on this computer I am using right now, but whenever I try to burn the file to a blank CD it wants to create some kind of .nrg file, it puts that file in my document and doesn't actually burn anything to the cd.

jAkUp
12-19-05, 03:42 PM
you need to select your Burner as the target drive, not the HD. If it doesn't allow you to select your burner, your drive is not supported by nero.

rewt
12-19-05, 05:06 PM
windows xp pro sp 2.iso? What is the filesize of that? The reason I ask because that sounds like the iso for the service pack, not the entire operating system itself.

You'll need your original Windows XP installation CD to repair or reinstall Windows.

bonchez
12-19-05, 08:08 PM
windows xp pro sp 2.iso? What is the filesize of that? The reason I ask because that sounds like the iso for the service pack, not the entire operating system itself.

You'll need your original Windows XP installation CD to repair or reinstall Windows.

It's like 500mb (about) it is the full installer of Windows, of course it is, because I am on my computer right now because I fixed it. Where's what I did, I took that .iso file and burned it using Alcohol 120% to a cd. I booted from the cd and followed the steps on the Microsoft site. Anyways, thanks for all of your help.