PDA

View Full Version : BSOD with all 81.xx series drivers (temp sticky pls)

Pages : [1] 2

Superfly
12-20-05, 02:41 AM
As with Jimi's sticky on Direct Access could ALL users with BSOD problems under any revision of the 8x.xx series ForceWare drivers please post a brief description of the problem, their FULL system specs and attach a dxdiag report to your post.

Im looking to get a handle on how many this effects and what the common link is ie; Dual core etc etc etc.

Thanks.

PLEASE DONT POST IN THIS THREAD IF YOU DONT HAVE THE PROBLEM.

Please also include any error logs or memory dumps.

Riptide
12-20-05, 08:28 AM
Do you want me to re-post everything I included in that e-mail to you?

Superfly
12-20-05, 08:30 AM
Do you want me to re-post everything I included in that e-mail to you?

nah - Thanks for offering though, I've got your details and the other guys all logged already.

mapel110
12-20-05, 11:10 AM
I got a few Bluescreens these days, but thought it would be the WDM Driver of my TV Card.

I use
81.95 Forceware
XFX 7800 GT Extreme Gamer
Athlon 64 3000+
ASRock Dual939 SATA latest Bios 1.50c
Vivanco analog TV Card
Creative X-Fi Xtrememusic, latest web driver release

p.s. Mafia drops back to desktop sometimes and Mohaa crashed with a sound loop a few times.

TierMann
12-20-05, 11:52 AM
Just to add to my info, I use a Zalman USB soundcard and have the onboard ACL850 disabled. It happens using the onboard sound as well though with Realtek or nVidia drivers. Atleast for me.

For network I'm using the onboard Marvell Yukon with nVidia's NIC disabled (in BIOS).

SATA, game port, serial ports, and parallel port are all disabled since I don't need them at the moment.

BIOS version for the motherboard is F9 (10/19/05 latest right now) but has also happend with F7 and F8. I can't go back earlier because F7 was the first with dual core support.

I've tried shutting down Avast anti-virus, rivatuner, and speedfan (runs with /NONVIDIAI2C anyway because of other issues) with no luck either. The Logitech Setpoint mouse software (for Cordless Click Plus mouse) is always unloaded before I game also, and this was happening before I had my G15 keyboard.

Riptide
12-20-05, 11:56 AM
ALC850 or not it made no difference for me either. X-Fi didn't help.

Oh and btw people - if you are just getting a lock or BSOD in one game in particular but others run fine then this might not be where to post about it. This thread is more for people that can't run pretty much any game with 81.xx.

Superfly
12-20-05, 12:07 PM
ALC850 or not it made no difference for me either. X-Fi didn't help.

Oh and btw people - if you are just getting a lock or BSOD in one game in particular but others run fine then this might not be where to post about it. This thread is more for people that can't run pretty much any game with 81.xx.

Yup - this thread is for those users with the SAME problem as Tiermann & Riptide ie: BSOD in Everything!! when using the 81.xx series drivers.

Superfly
12-20-05, 12:09 PM
I got a few Bluescreens these days, but thought it would be the WDM Driver of my TV Card.

I use
81.95 Forceware
XFX 7800 GT Extreme Gamer
Athlon 64 3000+
ASRock Dual939 SATA latest Bios 1.50c
Vivanco analog TV Card
Creative X-Fi Xtrememusic, latest web driver release

p.s. Mafia drops back to desktop sometimes and Mohaa crashed with a sound loop a few times.

a few? not every game?? - do the previous 75 series drivers run without issue??

thanks.

mapel110
12-20-05, 12:18 PM
a few? not every game?? - do the previous 75 series drivers run without issue??

thanks.
iirc 4 freezes of Mohaa with soundloop. FEAR got 2 bluescreens, then I tested this game no more. Mafia crashed back to desktop several times.
Other games I havent played long enough with me 7800 GT.
Yup - this thread is for those users with the SAME problem as Tiermann & Riptide ie: BSOD in Everything!! when using the 81.xx series drivers.
Okay, then it's not my issue, I think.

Superfly
12-20-05, 12:21 PM
k - could you try the 75.xx drivers for me and see if it stops the blue screens.

t.

coolspot
12-20-05, 06:26 PM
Just installed Mixed Vendor SLI - Gigabyte 6600 GT + BFG 6600 GT OC.

In single card mode, I can access Nvidia's Control Panel OK.

In SLI card mode, I can access the control panel before SLI is enabled. Once I enable SLI and save the settings, re-enter the control panel, I get a BSOD.

SLI is working - since m 3dMarks framerates have doubled...

Any ideas why SLI would cause a BSOD in my Nvidia Control Panel?

Superfly
12-21-05, 04:47 AM
@Coolspot - Jimi has forwarded a bug report to NVIDIA for you, this thread is about a different bug to yours.

take a look here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61929

leekirlew
12-21-05, 08:06 AM
Yep me too, pretty random but always whilst gaming,
usual message is something like "driver irql not less or equal" then nvdisp.dll at the bottom on my sig system

Superfly
12-21-05, 08:14 AM
any chance you could attach a dxdiag report along with a copy of the error report from your logs.

ta.

TierMann
12-22-05, 03:23 PM
81.98 and 82.12 seemed to have stopped blue-screening for me, but instead it just locks up. Heh. Makes it even more fun when I'm trying to get some sort of log.

No option that I could see for disabling dual-core so either the rumors weren't true or I'm still waiting for another beta.

triath
12-22-05, 07:13 PM
When I enable SLi I pretty much get a BSOD or lockup in every game I play.

With SLi disabled, it seems pretty stable and has been for the last 24hours so far.

I've tested both cards alone and done some benchmarking trying to stress test them both, they are flawless when they are alone or not in SLi mode. So I figure the cards themselves are in good working order.

jrigo
12-22-05, 08:09 PM
- AMD64 3500
- Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe
- onboard NIC, sound enabled
- 2 x MSI 6600GT
- 2 x 17" LCDs
- Plextor 716A DVDR
- WD Raptor 10k 36gig SATA
- WD 7200rpm 200gig EIDE

I dont actually get a Blue screen of death. I get a Black blank screen with a flashing cursor in the upper left as soon as I hit "Apply" in the SLi enable section of the nVidia control panel. Happens with all versions of 81.xx and the new 82.xx. 78.xx versions work fine.

Superfly
12-23-05, 03:00 AM
guys your posting problems that are nothing to do with this thread, If your problems are SLI related please start another thread.

This thread is for people with BSOD in EVERY Game with any 8x.xx series drivers - please keep it that way.

Superfly
12-23-05, 03:04 AM
ummm - I think im gonna log what I have on this when I get home from work today, im confident its a problem with the dual core optimizations in the 81.xx series drivers affecting a few unlucky users/configurations.

Riptide
12-23-05, 08:34 AM
Cool Superfly let us know what they say (if anything).

OWA
12-23-05, 09:43 AM
The AMDzone Quake4 article mentions how to disable the dual-core optimizations in the drivers with a registry change. Maybe that would be a good test to see if it's the dual-core part of the drivers or not.

TierMann
12-23-05, 01:17 PM
Thanks OWA.
1. Go into Regedit and determine the current primary display card by looking in HKey_Local_Machine\Hardware/DeviceMap\Video and note the GUID (global unique indentifier assigned by Windows) for the entry "\device\video0" which is the long string at the end of the entry in brackets { }.

2. Edit HKey_Local_Machine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Video\{guid}\0000, where {guid} is the number derived from the above step.

3. Open the "0000" directory and enter a new key called OGL_ThreadControl and give it a value of 2. This will disable multithreading in the driver for all OGL apps.

4. In the same "0000" directory, to disable driver multithreading for all D3D apps, you can enter WTD_EXECMODEL and give a value of 0.
I assume they mean create a new DWORD value, not key, because that would create a new "folder". I've given them both the proper decimal values and I'll reboot to see if it atleast disabled multi-threading.

Found here (http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=216&page=1).
When I woke up today I had a blue-screen (IRQL BSOD, using 82.12) waiting for me. I have no screen saver set and the only power saving I'm using is to turn off displays. There is also no dump. I might need to move the pagefile to C: or something. A BSOD while pretty much idle is the first time that's happend. My primary (samsung 997df CRT, VGA) display was on standby and the second (acer al1914 LCD, DVI) display showed the blue screen.

Edit:
That seems to disable multi-threading atleast. Doom3 is back down to below 50% usage anyway. I'll have some more time to test later. I've also moved the pagefile over to C: to see if I can get a dump if anything happens.

triath
12-23-05, 10:16 PM
guys your posting problems that are nothing to do with this thread, If your problems are SLI related please start another thread.

This thread is for people with BSOD in EVERY Game with any 8x.xx series drivers - please keep it that way.

I do BSOD in every game in every 8x.xx driver... so it does apply.

TierMann
12-24-05, 12:20 AM
An update.
No problems yet, but disabling multi-threading for DirectX doesn't seem to work. Source and FEAR are both still using up to 100% cpu.

Superfly
12-24-05, 03:39 AM
I do BSOD in every game in every 8x.xx driver... so it does apply.

Like I said this thread is nothing to do with your SLi problem - wether or not that problem also causes you to BSOD is a SEPERATE issue.

Just because this thread has BSOD in the title does'nt mean any and every problem that produces a BSOD is related and should be posted here.

(cheers)