PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Dell XPS Gen 2 w/ 6800 Go Ultra 256mb

NaitoSan
12-20-05, 04:53 AM
I have no idea where to place this in but I'm experiencing some annoying problems with some games. My laptop is Dell XPS Gen 2 with 6800 Go Ultra. When I run and play F.E.A.R. or Call of Duty 2, in few minutes, the screen flicks and frames drops to 10s, after few more minutes screen flicks again, frames went back to normal. I really have no idea and thought it was heat problem but video's still warm. It continues to happen. Anyone have that problem? I tried to do everything like doing some clean install with different driver versions. No luck. =(

Any help would be appericated. Thanks!

Superfly
12-20-05, 04:57 AM
what do you mean by "screen flicks" and does it happen after the same period of time regardless of the application running??

what power saving settings are you using? - are you gaming off the battery or mains power??

thanks.

NaitoSan
12-20-05, 06:12 AM
LCD screen flashes as if you are changing the resolution. It usual happens after 5-10 minutes of playtime and fps would down. After 2nd flash, fps jumps back up and repeats. It doesn't occur in Windows.

Power scheme is set at "Always On" and when I play games, I have laptop running from AC outlet for maximum performance (also set that in PowerMizer). I was thinking maybe it's Intel's Speedstep that causes it but there's no options or application for that. I even looked at BIOS, there's not much I can do unless I turn it off and cuts the processor to half its original speed. Hope that answers your question.

Thanks!

Superfly
12-20-05, 06:42 AM
Are the flashes always after the same amount of time - exactly??

what driver version are you using? have you tried the dell driver from their website?? v 78.51 https://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R111574&SystemID=XPS_M170&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=8757&devlib=0&typecnt=1&vercnt=2&formatcnt=1&fileid=145776

Have you asked Dell Support about this??

NaitoSan
12-20-05, 07:02 AM
Not exactly, just somehow close. I'm using Xtreme-G Mobile Edition 81.95 but problem occurs when I'm using Nvidia's too. I'm going to try Dell's and see but right now I'm tired and sleepy. =) I'll do that tomorrow.

I might end up re install Windows and maybe it'll go away... it's so annoying to get jumpy fps in games like F.E.A.R. If nothing helps, I'll speak with someone at Dell about it.

Thanks for helping! =)

911medic
12-20-05, 07:59 AM
How much memory do you have? This may be due to HDD thrashing if you have to little memory, perhaps? My Inspiron 9300 hasn't exhibited those symptoms, but I haven't tried those games on it.

I ran the 81.95's for a while, and noticed they didn't properly recognize a change from AC line to battery or vice versa. Whatever the system booted up on, the driver stayed on that setting despite plugging/unplugging.

You could try posting your problem here: http://www.notebookforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71

or here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

and see if anyone could help.

maddbomber83
12-20-05, 12:52 PM
Head here to take control of the speed step.
http://www.pbus-167.com/chc.htm
My comp will do something similar when I unplug the power cable during a game. When you do that the game will freeze a bit and then start back up with the lower settings the nvidia card uses for the battery. You won't notice this in windows because the only change there is the drop from 16x to 6x on the CPU multiplier. Your drop from AC can be a number of things, problem with that outlet, check all your connections firmly (the one in the back of comp is sensitive on my system). Also, what are your temps when this happens? The centrino program can let you know your cpu temps and the nvidia control panel has the gpu temps, right after this happens check those out. My normal CPU idle is around 40, with little flow under the comp its about 50. Full load it may get up to 60. Right now GPU idle is about 60, I have not checked it full load though so I assume as long as less than 90 (throttle is 101) then it is fine. If temp does seem to be your problem you can use the centrino program to drop voltage (may want to do that anyway, keep the lap from getting hot) and increase air flow under the laptop (prop up the sides just an inch or so).

Let us know how things turn out incase we run into the same problem.

NaitoSan
12-20-05, 02:35 PM
How much memory do you have? This may be due to HDD thrashing if you have to little memory, perhaps? My Inspiron 9300 hasn't exhibited those symptoms, but I haven't tried those games on it.

I ran the 81.95's for a while, and noticed they didn't properly recognize a change from AC line to battery or vice versa. Whatever the system booted up on, the driver stayed on that setting despite plugging/unplugging.

You could try posting your problem here: http://www.notebookforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71

or here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

and see if anyone could help.
Thanks for your sugguestions, I have 1GB RAM, HD seems to be running fine. I'll check the forum if problem still happens. Thanks!

NaitoSan
12-20-05, 02:36 PM
Head here to take control of the speed step.
http://www.pbus-167.com/chc.htm
My comp will do something similar when I unplug the power cable during a game. When you do that the game will freeze a bit and then start back up with the lower settings the nvidia card uses for the battery. You won't notice this in windows because the only change there is the drop from 16x to 6x on the CPU multiplier. Your drop from AC can be a number of things, problem with that outlet, check all your connections firmly (the one in the back of comp is sensitive on my system). Also, what are your temps when this happens? The centrino program can let you know your cpu temps and the nvidia control panel has the gpu temps, right after this happens check those out. My normal CPU idle is around 40, with little flow under the comp its about 50. Full load it may get up to 60. Right now GPU idle is about 60, I have not checked it full load though so I assume as long as less than 90 (throttle is 101) then it is fine. If temp does seem to be your problem you can use the centrino program to drop voltage (may want to do that anyway, keep the lap from getting hot) and increase air flow under the laptop (prop up the sides just an inch or so).

Let us know how things turn out incase we run into the same problem.
Hmm, I'll give this a try. Thanks =)

NaitoSan
12-28-05, 10:58 PM
Update:

Okay, thanks guys for any advices you have given. I took time to re install Windows as well install several drivers (Nvidia, Extreme-G, and Dell) and problem still occurs. I downloaded a program RMClock to make a log of CPU speed and played F.E.A.R. for few minutes (15 mintues at most). The result was that the CPU remains unchanged so that led me thinking it might be my video card. I downloaded Rivaturner and did the same for GPU and well, memory/core clock has changed to lower speed in middle of F.E.A.R. session!

I set GPU to max performance in PowerMizer and it still downclocks it in middle of F.E.A.R. session, making game run alot slower. I don't know what to keep it from downclocking, etc. Any ideas?

I'm also asking in www.notebookforums.com too.

Thanks!

-=DVS=-
12-28-05, 11:42 PM
Overheating maybe ?

NaitoSan
12-29-05, 01:44 AM
I looked at the temp while playing, it went just a bit over 80 but when I was playing other game like Full Spectrum Warrior which doesn't overtax the GPU and it still downclocks the GPU, kind annoying.

mobilenvidia
12-29-05, 03:02 AM
The GPU is slowing up to stop it from cooking.
There are limits that are set at what point this happens.
When you say 80deg is that F or C if C then it's very high.

Have a look in my sig, many others with similar problems.
I have some tweaks that can be played with in my modded INFs.

Hope this helps.

Lord_Obsidian
12-29-05, 03:10 PM
Ah i had that problem for a while with my gen 2, this is what you need to get and this issue will disappear.

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4691368?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Also clean your Notebook vents with a Can of compressed air, or even better use a standard air compressor with higher PSI, sometimes the vents get clogged and heat it up all nice and cozy.

NaitoSan
12-31-05, 05:22 AM
Thank you for replying, yes I realized it's heat issue. I recently upgraded mine to 7800 GTX Go and 2GB DDR2 533mhz. 7800 seems not to get overheat like 6800. I'm happy with 7800 now. =)

When I install 7800, I realized it was quite dusty that blocks the airflow... maybe that's the reason why 6800 got too hot. I probably need to get a can of compressed air or whatever and clean my laptop every once a month or so.

CaptNKILL
12-31-05, 11:31 AM
Wow, you upgraded your laptop 6800 to a 7800? I cant say Ive ever heard of anyone upgrading their laptop like that, that thing must be a beast :D

NaitoSan
12-31-05, 03:36 PM
Oh yes, I never thought it was possible until someone mentioned www.notebookforums.com and I went and read a thread about Dell selling 7800 GTX Go and you can install it yourself. =) This beast cost me less than $250.

It's an impressive card for laptop.

-=DVS=-
12-31-05, 05:21 PM
How is your score before and after ?

NaitoSan
01-01-06, 06:45 AM
Erm... I never really benchmark but I can safely say F.E.A.R. ran a lot smoother and several games saw a nice improvement. =) Defintely worth it.