PDA

View Full Version : Which offer better graphics? PC or gaming consoles?

Pages : [1] 2

Kain
12-20-05, 03:37 PM
Which offer better graphics? PC or the new gaming consoles?

Euphoria
12-20-05, 03:47 PM
It depends on your PC Configuration. Also it depends on the game developers.

For example GUN, Need For Speed: Most Wanted were coded for the Xbox 360.
Althought you can play them on PC, IMO I think that it looks better on my XBobx 360 the on my friends 6800 GT AMD 3500.

Mr. Hunt
12-20-05, 03:47 PM
I would say PCs... PCs are constantly updating and getting better... I think MGS4 looks insanely awesome... but in the end by the time it comes out, PCs will be able to do the same exact thing.

But I still wub my consoles ;).

Acid Rain
12-20-05, 03:49 PM
Which offer better graphics? PC or the new gaming consoles?Depends on the game and your PC hardware.

I heard all this raving about C0D 2 being the second coming of Christ on the Xbox 360, then I actually played it. Yuck. 0 aniso. Lovely jaggies. Blurry ickiness. In the case of that game, and Quake 4, the PC wins hands down. Now, if we start talking console exlusives like Kameo, well, 360 wins, hands down. ;)

kev13dd
12-20-05, 04:17 PM
Depends on the game and your PC hardware.

I heard all this raving about C0D 2 being the second coming of Christ on the Xbox 360, then I actually played it. Yuck. 0 aniso. Lovely jaggies. Blurry ickiness. In the case of that game, and Quake 4, the PC wins hands down. Now, if we start talking console exlusives like Kameo, well, 360 wins, hands down. ;)

Did you play it on the demo consoles or the actual console

K

jAkUp
12-20-05, 04:43 PM
PC's do, but only if you have a good machine, which is obviously more expensive if you already have an HDTV.

|JuiceZ|
12-20-05, 04:44 PM
PC's do, but only if you have a good machine, which is obviously more expensive if you already have an HDTV.

Buenamos
12-20-05, 05:26 PM
IMO, the 360 currently holds an advantage over any pc system. From what I've seen of Kameo with a few hundred guys on-screen at one time in a huge lush environment, no PC could handle that UNLESS it was specificially coded for it rather than multiple different configurations. PGR3 is more detailed than any racing game for PC. Now, I'm not saying that all consoles games are more graphically impressive than pc's, cause obviously not all of them are.

Simply put...If you want to see the latest in graphics technology, get a 360 with a beautiful HDTV. It may not be the cheapest solution, but it is the most impressive. It combines great graphics with the best frame-rate possible. Something PC's can't do.

There are several games for PC that are extremely impressive though also. Check out FEAR, BF2, COD2 (360 holds the advantage in graphics department, not in multiplayer), Quake 4, etc.

Of course, this is all my opinion; not fact. PC's will gradually take the advantage in the future just as it has in the past. The thing that amazes me though, is that look at the difference between Halo 1 and Halo 2. Once developers gain more experience with the 360, think of what they'll be able to pull off. Currently, I'm more impressed with the features of the 360 than the actual games.

Mr. Hunt
12-20-05, 05:31 PM
IMO, the 360 currently holds an advantage over any pc system. From what I've seen of Kameo with a few hundred guys on-screen at one time in a huge lush environment, no PC could handle that UNLESS it was specificially coded for it rather than multiple different configurations. PGR3 is more detailed than any racing game for PC. Now, I'm not saying that all consoles games are more graphically impressive than pc's, cause obviously not all of them are.

Simply put...If you want to see the latest in graphics technology, get a 360 with a beautiful HDTV. It may not be the cheapest solution, but it is the most impressive. It combines great graphics with the best frame-rate possible. Something PC's can't do.

There are several games for PC that are extremely impressive though also. Check out FEAR, BF2, COD2 (360 holds the advantage in graphics department, not in multiplayer), Quake 4, etc.

Of course, this is all my opinion; not fact.

Gotta jump in here, too.

1.) Just because PGR3 has "better graphics" than PC racing games out doesn't mean the PC can't handle it, just that they haven't done a game yet for it.
2.) Best framerate possible on the 360? I was playing some splitscreen NFS:MW at Best Buy with my brother and that game hitched and skipped like no tomorrow, but was especially bad when there was ANY traffic on the screen.
3.) COD2 looks better on the 360? Joking?

Buenamos
12-20-05, 05:48 PM
Gotta jump in here, too.

1.) Just because PGR3 has "better graphics" than PC racing games out doesn't mean the PC can't handle it, just that they haven't done a game yet for it.

True, but IMO I think it's pointless to even mention a PC racing game has better graphics if it doesn't even exist. PGR3 has almost 30,000 3d pedestrians on several tracks, has HDR effects (We all know how that's working out for PC systems) 2xAA (should be 4x for free, but MS didn't send out the development kits in time), and almost 80,000 polygons per car!

2.) Best framerate possible on the 360? I was playing some splitscreen NFS:MW at Best Buy with my brother and that game hitched and skipped like no tomorrow, but was especially bad when there was ANY traffic on the screen.

2) There was already a thread discussing what people thought about the 360 and PC versions of NFS:MW. After playing both, I think the 360 version is FAR superior with better textures and frame-rate. Not to mention that fact that you're talking about split-screen. Unlike you, I'm comparing the PC - fullscreen vs 360 - fullscreen. Not PC - fullscreen vs 360 - split.

3.) COD2 looks better on the 360? Joking?

3) This is the only point I agree with you on. The PC version does look better than the 360 when everything is cranked. But, what's the point if it doesn't run smooth? The 360 version is definitely lacking AF and only has 2xAA(I think), but it's ALWAYS smooth.

jAkUp
12-20-05, 06:10 PM
Well, if I run COD2 at 1280x720 res and 2x/0xAF I will get great FPS also.

It bogs down at 1600x1200 2x/4x for me though at time, most of the time its smooth, but occasionally the framerate sucks.

Buenamos
12-20-05, 06:47 PM
Well, if I run COD2 at 1280x720 res and 2x/0xAF I will get great FPS also.

It bogs down at 1600x1200 2x/4x for me though at time, most of the time its smooth, but occasionally the framerate sucks.

True.

Airbrushkid
12-20-05, 08:33 PM
To all well the old saying is if it walks like a duck and looks like a duck it's a duck! Box has a motherboard, processor, memory and a graphic's chip, dvd drive even a hard drive and usb. So no matter what the box it's in looks like it's a PC.

aAv7
12-20-05, 08:41 PM
who cares.

arioch21
12-20-05, 08:55 PM
would just be a matter or time anyways before another Vid card gen hits pc. so while it might seem to be head to head atm, vid cards come out faster then consoles. whether thats good or bad is another story :p

Edge
12-20-05, 09:14 PM
Gotta jump in here, too.

Which is the entire point: that means consoles DO have "better graphics", at least in that example. Whether or not a PC COULD handle that isn't really the issue. If no game comes out for the PC that use it's capabilities, what does it matter whether or not it could? The 6800 has been out for over a year and a half now, how many games use displacement mapping even though it's been a feature on those cards since launch? How many games supported DX9 effects when the 9700 was released? How many games supported pixel shaders when the Geforce 3 was released? All that hardware was fully capable of performing those effects, but without software to take advantage of it, it was wasted.

It isn't really an issue of the hardware itself, but rather what platform has games that use it to it's fullest potential. Right now, more Xbox 360 games take advantage of it's capabilities than there are PC games that take advantage of high end PC hardware's capabilities, simply because those with high-end hardware on the PC are in the minority. So at this moment, I'd say Xbox 360 make up a majority of the best looking games out there. But obviously that will change as PC hardware gets more advanced and more PC games take advantage of it's capabilities.

MUYA
12-20-05, 09:31 PM
Then it should be do console games developers program their games to offer better graphics than their PC counterparts? As it has been mentioned plenty of times, easier to optimize for a single platform than the multi-infinity platform of PC. Therefore, it isn't the console itself offering the better graphics, it is instead title driven.

There is no way that PC cannot do what the console can do in terms of graphics. The graphics subsystem of consoles are inherently these days borrow design concepts from the PC counterpart,. Bit of this, bit of that and throw in this. Which of the latter will be incorporated in the PC counterpart in the next gen GPU/VPU....

nV`andrew
12-20-05, 09:42 PM
If you have a real nice HDTV that you can plug your 360 into, then yes to consoles, but if not, a pc owns it.

MUYA
12-20-05, 09:47 PM
What difference does a HDTV make? ;) Graphics wise?

Seriously...HDTV really makes that much of a difference in game graphics? Sure, you get a wider screen with resolution greater than your normal TV (CRT or LCD) but, computer CRTs and LCDs are also capable of higher resolutions no? D

pliflier
12-20-05, 10:12 PM
Kameo?well it do has substantive models on-screen,but the model are quite simple plus the environment is not that rich~~IMO FC has richer outdoor scene,and SAM2 has plentiful models on-screen as well

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/615/615674/kameo-elements-of-power-20050517092439614.jpg

BTW:GOW is the only game that graphical superior to any PC games so far~~

slick
12-20-05, 10:24 PM
That is a very old SS of Kameo, compare that to the final build.

And PGR3 looks better than GoW IMO, more realistic at least, though GoW does look nice. PGR3 really is reigning champ of graphics at the moment.

rewt
12-20-05, 10:26 PM
How do you take screenshots on the xbox 360?

xquizette
12-21-05, 12:55 AM
PC but try saying that on the teamxbox forums, youll be bombarded by people who swear by their console and treat it like some resurrected sorcerer. Like COD2 for example, I have seen COD2 on the XBOX 360 and then Ive seen it on my PC, it looks much better on the PC but youll have people claim otherwise. Also youll have developers who will say the graphics will look the same across console and PC but thats a lot of rubbish.

Its comments like this that send the wrong message.

According to XBOX World Oct 2005, issue 30, page 94, column 3

Bethesda told us The 360 version is going to be the best looking by far even compared to a top end PC, even if we spend thousands of pounds on the best money can buy.
PC technology just isn't up to this level yet."

and then days later the developers response is.

"We didn't, which is why it isn't in quotes. They're paraphrasing with a few of their own words thrown in so it makes the platform they've dedicated their magazine to look far superior. Imagine that."

Much of it is BS hype. I cannot wait for Elder scrolls to come out just so i can max out the options.

pliflier
12-21-05, 01:06 AM
That is a very old SS of Kameo, compare that to the final build.

And PGR3 looks better than GoW IMO, more realistic at least, though GoW does look nice. PGR3 really is reigning champ of graphics at the moment.
Is this one form the final build?
http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2005/317/reviews/516505_20051114_screen014.jpg

more here
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/kameoelementsofpower/screenindex.html?page=1

nothing big but the bump map.great offset mapping!!

and for PGR3,is great,but not as uber as GOW though~~especially the trees,merely a layer of texture,no poly at all~~

Medion
12-21-05, 07:48 AM
I think the problem with comparing graphics between the PC and consoles is that you always here what a PC CAN do, in comparison to what a console ACTUALLY DOES.

For instance, I've been watching my roomates play Ninja Gaiden lately. I know for damn sure that a PC can pull off those graphics. They're very simplistic with excellent art direction and cinematic effect. However, Ninja Gaiden is not available on the PC, nor is any comparable game.

Some staples of the PC over the years have been higher resolution and user customization. The higher resolution gives you the ability to have easier to read HUDs, making games like Warcraft and C&C much easier to play.

However, if you compare Doom3 on the PC at 16x12 4xAA 16xAF to Doom3 on XBox, the average person with an untrained eye will say "they look the same." They're right, as the artistic look, the geometry, and the texturing are all the same. But a PC enthusiast will quickly point out the lack of AF, or of noticable AA, or of the minute differences in geometry or texturing. But still, the game looks aethestically the same.

Where graphics shine is when a developer takes an artistic approach. Remember when cell shading first took off with Jet Set Radio on the Dramcast? Even Carmack oohed and aahed over it.

IMO, too many PC devs focus more on the technical side of it, and not the artistic side. That is why, IMO, World of Warcraft looks better than EQ2, despite it's technical inferiority.

Oh, and Guildwars is an abolutely stunning game, not due to technical feats, but just due to the amazing art direction.

Sorry for rambling, and thanks for reading.