PDA

View Full Version : My IBM Deathstar 40 GB HD gave up, heard this story before? :P

Treason
12-20-05, 04:59 PM
Bought it back in 2001. I'm surprised this Deathstar lasted as long as it did. It's starting to make repeating hard read sounds. Scritch-scritch-scritch-scritch. Four times in succession over and over again with a two second delay between each iteration.

I've pulled the hard drive and hooked it up to my USB 2.0 enclosure and in the process of trying to save my precious po- er database. (xmasmile) (xmasgrin)

Infinity666
12-20-05, 05:05 PM
This happened to my parents finance info and my por-er I mean my database as well, damn deathstars!!!!!

Riptide
12-20-05, 05:56 PM
I have a suspicion. My suspicion is that the majority of nerds who have 250+ GB drives aren't doing graphic design - they're collecting pr0n. :)

Infinity666
12-20-05, 06:06 PM
I have a suspicion. My suspicion is that the majority of nerds who have 250+ GB drives aren't doing graphic design - they're collecting pr0n. :)
I know a guy who has a terabyte eww....creepy:barf:

Treason
12-20-05, 06:14 PM
I know a guy who has a terabyte eww....creepy:barf:

Just connect to a European Direct Connect server. Check out some of the Swedish hubs...

Banko
12-20-05, 08:58 PM
Amazingly enough I have an IBM 60g Deathstar in another computer, and it is still working, since 2001 as well.

Treason
12-20-05, 10:20 PM
Nooo!!!! It stopped working at 33.7 GB transferred! ~cry~

J:\ is not accessible. The request has not been performed because of an I/O device error.

Now it's endlessly seeking... Ok time for the bag in the freezer and drop at 1 metre tricks.(santa2)

Treason
01-06-06, 02:28 AM
Bleh, well I didn't do anything to it over the holidays, so just as an update, I downloaded Driver Fitness Test, made a bootable 3.5" floppy disk, and rebooted.

Of course the drive made the same noises over and over again when I selected advanced fitness test, so I decided to do a complete wipe using the program.

So after reformatting it NTFS in Windows XP PRO, the drive appears to be functioning again, except free space shows as 38.9 GB, as if some sectors were marked bad and allocated away. Normally wouldn't any 40 GB HD show up empty as 39.6 GB free space or similar?

Darth Rancid
01-06-06, 08:16 AM
All three Deathstars I have ever bought are still operating flawlessly.. one 6.4Gb from 1998, one 30Gb from 2000 and one 120Gb from 2003.. (last one is a Hitatchi Deathstar.. naturally)...

I think the high failure rate of 40-75Gb Deathstars are due to evil rebel terrorists conducting trench run attacks... :D

No matter the reason, losing 40Gb of "database" always sucks...