PDA

View Full Version : GeForce4 Ti 4200 AGP 8X suggestions

Beard
01-12-03, 11:32 AM
Hi,

My GeForce3 TI200 finally bit the big one the other day, but of course I wasn't ready to upgrade yet. I was going to hold out for the GeForceFX card to go with the EPoX 8RDA2+ which will probably be out by then too, but I need to get another card NOW...well tomorrow actually. My spare GF2 MX400 just isn't cutting it.

Well, I'm thinking that I should get one of the newer TI4200s with 8X AGP. Even though this old EPoX 8KHA+ only supports 4X, I will be getting the 8RDA2+ that supports 8X, whenever it's ready. I realize the 8X AGP doesn't give much of a performance increase, but every little bit helps.

I've been looking at two cards, the Asus V9280S/TVD 128MB ($215 @ Newegg) and the Abit Siluro GF4 TI4200-8X 128MB OTES ($192 @ Newegg). Is anyone here using either of these cards and how are you liking them so far?

Are there any other 8X AGP TI4200 128MB cards that you might suggest? I'm also trying to make sure that the memory chips have heatsinks, like the two I've been thinking about.

Thanks for your help,
Beard

The Baron
01-12-03, 11:37 AM
Gainward makes BEAUTIFUL cards... Friend of mine got a Ti4200 4x from Gainward, and it's worked fantastically. I recommend it completely (it's also really cheap)--however, I can't remember if it has heatsinks. Still, it's a great card.

jAkUp
01-12-03, 11:51 AM
i heard abit makes some of the best on the market... check out this link for a review of a bunch of ti4200's
http://www.hexus.net/review.php?review=484

Phyre
01-12-03, 11:54 AM
Gainward does make fine cards. I have their Ti4200 Golden Sample. However, if you get one, check the capacitors shown in this thread. If they look like the bad version, call up Gainward, get an RMA, and send it back. I have been having the same problems mentioned in the thread below. Mine will be getting RMA'd.

I did pick up a new card though. I got the Abit Siluro Ti4200 OTES with 128 MB ram. I don't think it's as loud as people make it out to be. But, I do have a 7000 rpm fan on my Athlon. :)

Here is the link to the Gainward problem if you want to check it out.

http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=166031

Phyre

Beard
01-12-03, 01:16 PM
Thanks guys...That Hexus review is what I've been lookin for. I was thinking about a Gainward until I read about the problems last week. I'm not going to willingly go that route :D

That Leadtek card in the review looks pretty good for overclocking, but I don't usually O/C unless benchmarking.

So, I think that I'll probably go with the Abit Siluro Ti4200 OTES with 128 MB ram. One more noisy fan isn't going to bother me any.

Phyre - Have you had any problems with the Abit at all? What drivers have been best for you with this card?

Thanks again,
Beard

Phyre
01-12-03, 01:36 PM
Haven't had any problems yet. I haven't started trying ot overclock the card either. The only drivers that I've been using are the 40.72's. I need to benchmark the card. Just haven't gotten around to it. I'm really finding it hard to get time to benchmark these days. Work has got me swamped as of late. If I get around to doing some benchmarks, I'll post the results here.

Phyre

Beard
01-12-03, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Phyre
If I get around to doing some benchmarks, I'll post the results here.

Phyre

Cool...Thanks. The more I read, the more I keep thinking about the Albatron TI4680P Turbo too. Even though I don't O/C much, it sure is tempting.

Beard

Phyre
01-15-03, 09:43 AM
Well, I ran a one benchmark of 3DMark 2001 SE this morning before work.

Card: Abit Siluro Ti4200 OTES

Score: 10525 no overclock, well sorta

Also, something that must be noted is the fact that the card comes from Abit clocked at 275 MHz core and 500 MHz memory. Usually the factory settings are 240 MHz and 445 MHz, respectively.

Phyre

Beard
01-15-03, 02:18 PM
Well, I'm sitting here waiting on FedEx to bring me my new card. I decided to go with the Abit Siluro Ti4200 OTES too.
I'm just having a hard time deciding which drivers to try first now. I guess I'll just wait and see which ones come with it.

Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know my 3DMark scores after I test it some.

Beard

Beard
01-15-03, 08:31 PM
Well, I'm pretty impressed with this Abit Siluro Ti4200 OTES 128MB card. I just got done installing it and took it for it's first run through 3DMark2001 SE.

I ran the card completely stock on this EPoX 8KHA+ with a stock Athlon XP 1800+ and got a score of 10,370. Not too shabby at all. Now it's time to do a little tweaking :D

I personally don't think the fan on this card is too loud either, like a lot of others say. I can't even hear it over the Delta fan on my AX-7.

Beard