PDA

View Full Version : online FPS sequels = rehashes?

ynnek
12-21-05, 03:57 PM
I was talking to my coworker, and came to this conclusion. Anyone else getting the feeling that online FPS sequels are becoming more and more like rehashes of the pervious generation?

UT - almost the same maps.
CS Source - maps are almost identical? just slight tweaks
Quake 4 - slightly different gameplay, but same maps.

Thats all I can think of right now..

Are forever doomed to play the same handful of FPS maps over and over again?

Riptide
12-21-05, 04:14 PM
Regarding UT the newer one brought vehicles into the picture and that alone is a huge difference. Some of the maps from 2003 are there but new ones have been added (some of them are awesome btw).

CSS - There are new maps and a new physics engine. New graphics that look nicer. The case for this being a rehash is stronger than UT in my opinion.

Superfly
12-22-05, 08:45 AM
I think the whole genre is a re-hash of one game or another......

Quake Wars looks to be the only MP game for 2006 thats doing something new....zero interest in UT2007 TBH

|MaguS|
12-22-05, 09:24 AM
Why change things that work well? Thats where I think DOOM3 failed on.

As for all online games being rehashes, well for CS:S it was never ment to be new. Its not a sequel at all... its not CS:2, they said that will come later.

Try the Raven Shield series, all the addons add new maps, weapons and even different modes. Its also just very fun if you play with good people.

Bad_Boy
12-22-05, 10:17 AM
Well in your list you pretty much have sequels, so of course rehashes with small changes are a given.

Maybe you should try some mods or orginal titles?

Banko
12-22-05, 10:21 AM
Actually Ut2k3/2k4 aren't even close to rehashes the gameplay isn't close to UT99's gameplay.

lmetza
12-22-05, 09:02 PM
Even before quake 4 came out i knew the multi was going to be revolving around Quake 3's (Heck why change it cuz it rocked!). I dont know why someone would expect more from Quake itself when they already announced Quake Wars as the multiplayer version of it, Since Quake 4 is a singleplayer FPS title, dont think it should be in this comparison as its also something different from CS source and battlefield and UT all together.
You may aswell be comparing HL2 - Unreal 2 - Quake 4

Though im hoping Quake Wards will be awsome, Wolfenstein ET was thats for sure and with the same guys behind the curtains on Quake Wars ET things should turn out decent by the very least. Not changing Quakr 4's multi player is a very good thing, since they pretty much hit the bullseye with Quake 3's DM style fast paced frag frenzis so keeping it the same and making a seperate title is the way to go, that way those who favor the Quake 3 style will have it via Quake 4 and those who prefer the Wolfenstein ET style get Quake wars.