PDA

View Full Version : I am ready to kill

SquireSCA
12-21-05, 08:41 PM
I have been reading up on this is many forums, and while it does not effect everyone, it is a pretty well documented bug with the Nforce4 chipset.

Pertaining to data corruption and SATA drives. I had the issue with a Maxtor, where not only was there corruption, but having the system hard lock whenever you did a lot of copying to the drive. System would just freeze. No BSOD, but a freeze, and upon rebooted there was a disk error, either 51 or 11 in the Event Log.

But many of the reports said it was mainly with Maxtor drives, but I am seeing more and more issues with other drives. But I went and replaced the Maxtor with a 400GB Hitachi.

Worked fine for a few days, but today I went to copy about 40GB of files from an external drive to the SATA drive, and twice tonight the system hard locked.

I disabled NCQ in the Device Manager, it still locks when heavily loading the DMA controller.

WHere there is this much smoke, there has to be fire, even if not everyone is effected by it.

Can we see how many people here are having this trouble?

I am so beside myself that I have over $2000 invested in this mobo, CPU and SLI rig alone, and I appear to be stable as a rock during hours of gaming, and no issues when running Prime95, SuperPI 32M and Sisoft CPU Burn-in wizard all night long... But try to copy large amounts of data to a SATA drive, and the system locks.

I know that there is a bug in the chipset. When is NVidia going to address it?

SquireSCA
12-21-05, 08:51 PM
Man this has me angry. People complain all the time about how "Microsoft releases buggy software and let's their customers beta-test it for them"...

How is this kind of crap any different? A chipset that has a flaw like this is inexcusable. SATA is the norm today, not some 2 week old emerging technology. But they are so concerned with sticking to schedules and making sure that their product, buggy or not gets out before ATI, that we get crap like this.

newls1
12-21-05, 09:00 PM
are u using the installed microsoft ide drivers, or are you installing the nvidia IDE SW drivers? If you installing the nvidia drivers, i'll bet my FX57 PC that is your problem.

SquireSCA
12-21-05, 09:03 PM
Why would that be the problem?

And again, head over to NVidia Forums and you will see a lot of people upset about this.

Many of them are claiming to *use* the NVidia drivers, not avoid them.

Here is just one thread of many, that has 10 pages and going on this issue:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=8171

SquireSCA
12-21-05, 10:08 PM
Uninstalled the NVidia IDE drivers, still locks when copying large amounts of data.

It is the *only* time that this system gives an error of any kind. The thing runs stable no matter what I throw at it, except for large file trasnfers.

NVidia is aware of the problem as they recalled the C51 boards for similar corruption issues.

It is a bad chipset, but it would hurt sales too much to openly admit it, so they are just remaining quiet and hoping that it doesn't effect too many people.

It's atrocious what they are doing.

Slyder
12-22-05, 12:59 AM
I know that there is a bug in the chipset. When is NVidia going to address it?

I always prefered my VIA chipset to my current Nforce4. Main reason is file corruption but on IDE HDD's. I defragged my backup drive for the first time in about 2 years last weekend and touch wood its been fine since.

jAkUp
12-22-05, 01:27 AM
I have noticed that to completely remove the nV IDE drivers, I had to reinstall the O.S. Driver cleaner didn't work, and add/remove still left the ide device driver in the system folder.

To be completely honost, the nV IDE drivers have alot of problems with some machines. I use them, but I know plenty of people that have had issues.

Superfly
12-22-05, 02:31 AM
just manually remove the files from system32

SquireSCA
12-22-05, 06:48 AM
But I think that this goes deeper than mere drivers.

I believe it to be a problem with the chipset itself, and NVidia is trying to cover it up by ignoring it so that they do not have a class action lawsuit on their hands. They saw what such a suit did to IBM's hard drive division.

So they will leave a bunch of their customers out to dry and unfortunatley I am one of them.

NVidia won't address this unless forced to financially. I wonder if we start gathering all of this information and start posting it at ATI fansites and get some of the major reviewers to bring more attention to it, and if maybe ATI starts calling attention to it, perhaps then NVidia will do something?

TimeOut
12-22-05, 11:02 AM
To have a class action lawsuit you must have evidence of a defective design.
I read the whole 10 pages thread http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=8171 and I could see that most of the people over there who reported data corruption, either found out that their memory modules were faulty, their drives had issues or they simply solved their problem by replacing the motherboard for another one with NF4 chipset.

In my case, I have a NF4 Ultra (not SLI) motherboard with 2 300Gb Maxtor drivers in Raid 0, all nVidia drivers installed and running and I've never had any data corruption.
The only time I had issues of some kind was when I was overclocking my system. And it was only because I was pushing the overclock too far.

wheeljack12
12-22-05, 06:09 PM
I have had AMD and Intel based SLI Nvidia chipsets and there is definitely a fault somewhere. I can't use more than 3 Sata drives on the nvidia controller or I get Machine Exception BSODs in winxp pro and winxp pro x64 for both AMD and Intel based chipsets. Also, if I use a IDE drive at the same time as using a sata drive in any sata plug, The ide drives have to be on the secondary IDE controller or I get freezing and cd booting problems.

Riptide
12-22-05, 11:37 PM
I wonder if using a PCI-E or PCI SATA controller might help instead of the onboard.

superklye
12-23-05, 01:03 AM
I have noticed that to completely remove the nV IDE drivers, I had to reinstall the O.S. Driver cleaner didn't work, and add/remove still left the ide device driver in the system folder.

To be completely honost, the nV IDE drivers have alot of problems with some machines. I use them, but I know plenty of people that have had issues.
Yeah, back in the day when I had my Abit NF7-S rev. 2.0, I accidently installed the IDE drivers and my primary 60GB drive showed up fine, but my two 160s didn't. No matter what I did. Uninstalling the driver worked, but the Windows default driver wouldn't reinstall upon rebooting and the only way to get the controller to work again was by reinstalling Windows.

Talk about a HUGE pain in the ass.

GamblerFEXonlin
03-26-06, 05:12 AM
I also have storage problems with my 6100/MCP51 board Asus K8N-VM nForce 4 410

1. 6100/MCP51 doesn't seem to support NCQ. It's a very new board/chipset, what is going on??? (I need NCQ in my server or it gets veeerrryy slow when I work with large files)

2. I couldn't burn with my Samsung Writemaster SATA DVD-RW and if I tried to copy files from the drive I would BSOD.

3. I went into Control Panel - Add Remove programs and uninstalled the nVidia IDE drivers and everything is OK!.

I never encountered file corrutions on either of SATA or IDE HDs with nVidia IDE drivers.

I initially bought a ATI Radeon Xpress board from MSI but returnet it because it had very high CPU usage and low transfer speeds with a Gigabit Ethernet PCI adapter.

http://jooh.no/radeon_xpress_200.html

I'll most likely return this Asus K8N-VM too even if it's only a driver issue. Last time I waited for a driver fix I ended up waiting a year, several drivers no fix!

Is there a VIA board out there that has good PCI performance and SATA NCQ?

grey_1
03-26-06, 11:25 AM
Maximum PC ( I wish I still had the issue) reported this as a problem with the newest Maxtor drives. This was only 2-3 months ago. According to them maxtor was addressing the problem. My wd's have been fine *knocks on wood* Good luck with it.