PDA

View Full Version : Please HELP w/ Application Profiles & "Restore" settings!!!

zillatech
12-21-05, 10:07 PM
Ok, here it is:

I have had nothing but problems with Nvidia's "Application Profiles" :( Now, I have totally "F'd up" my Monitor settings with my preferred refresh rate choices (some how, screwing around with the driver profiles for different settings for different games).

Every single time I change a setting "AA" or "AF" or whatever, it appears to apply to "everything" all the time! Now before ppl, start asking me what my "Active profile" is, it doesn't matter!!!! I've changed things, both ways & it's like: Game profiles don't exist!!! Whatever my current setting is: that's what is applied.

WTF is the point between "Active" vs. "Global"????? If I go to the driver settings & select a game profile, at that very moment, any changes I make should apply to only that specific profile!!!!!!

Somehow I have completely reset my Monitor settings for each refresh rate by trying "desperately" to get these individual "Game Profiles" to be independent of one another and right now, I'm REALLY PISSED OFF!!!!!

Will someone please explain to me how these ****ing Game Profile settings work because "for the life of me" I have not been able to understand Nvidia's logic with their dialog boxes, etc. I know they must work (somehow) but Damn, this is getting ****ing ridiculous & I seriously hope that the driver team from Nvidia is reading this!!

If I'm just a moron that can't figure this out, then someone "anyone" please teach me because my solution seems to be "manually" changing settings "Globally" each time I play a different game. I can't begin to explain how pissed off I am to have to "reset" my Monitor settings for each resolution again!@@!@

I'm talking about "pin cushion", height, width, etc." because these ****ing drivers killed my settings!!!!

PLZ help!!!! ps: (I'm no rookie to computers & drivers either & that is one of the things that is killing me!!!!!)

My system is a new installation of Windows XP SP2, GeForce 6800GT & the latest "81.95" drivers.

Damn I'm frusterated right now!!!!

Superfly
12-22-05, 05:35 AM
what monitor do you have? I've had trouble getting application specific colour profiles to work but never a problem with AA/AF etc.

Also its rather weird that your Monitor needs to be re-calibrated for each resolution?? does this happen with previous driver builds??

Could we have a full system spec please, thanks.

zillatech
12-22-05, 07:23 AM
Here are my system specs:

System Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (939)
Thermaltake SK8 (Silent Boost)
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
2x512MB, Corsair PC3200XL DDR (2-2-2-5)
BFG 6800GT OC
22” Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
2x74GB WD Raptor Hard Drives
Creative Audigy2 Sound Card
Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra Speakers

I fixed my monitor settings back (turns out it was only a couple of resolutions that got messed up). That specific error has never happened to me in the past but I still would like to know why the driver tabs and settings don't seem to "stick" after I make changes to different profiles, am I missing something??

Superfly
12-22-05, 07:36 AM
TBH mate it might be worth having a read of the FAQ regarding setting up profiles on NVIDIA.com.

Like you say you might not be using the profiles correctly in which case those FAQ would help.

OWA
12-22-05, 11:09 AM
In general, it's kind of like this:

Global settings are used when there isn't a game specific profile. If a game specific profile exists and the options are checked, it takes precedence.

You setup the profile like you want it, click apply and close the control panel. It'll start automatically when the game is launched.

The only time I really use the active selection is to view the profile settings, make changes to the existing profile or I'll sometimes start a game, alt-tab out of it, and change the active profile to override some of the games that don't seem to like their settings being overriden.

If it's confusing to you, you may want to check out nHancer (www.nhancer.com). It's a utility to manage the profiles. With the latest drivers, you might need to edit the file and remove the "&" from the Simpson's Hit and Run profile since it causes an issue with nHancer.

To maybe better understand the profiles, take a look at:
c:\windows\system32\nvapps.xml file. It is a text file that stores the settings and is the file you're manipulating with the nvidia control panel (and nhancer).

You also might want to download the 81.98_Forceware_Display_Property_User_Guide.pdf and check out the Configuring Key ForceWare Graphics Driver Features.

You can find it here (link at the bottom of the page):

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.98.html

Direct link: http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/81.98/81.98_ForceWare_Display_Property_User_Guide.pdf

Superfly
12-22-05, 11:16 AM
Thanks OWA - I was looking for that link myself.

OWA
12-23-05, 03:53 PM
No problem. They use to have a link that just had that particular info on the page but I guess now they want everyone to look in the user guide for it.