PDA

View Full Version : Price check on this Quantum3D Obsidian2 X-24 video card

Treason
12-22-05, 05:04 AM
I picked this up in a garage sale from some rich family. Said they paid US $500 eight years ago. :argh:

I don't know how much this is worth to anyone. I looked up on eBay and googled "selling quantum3D" and "selling obsidian2" returning with non-significant results. I think only a collector would want this. I have the original Quantum3D box with all the original contents.

I popped it in in my nostalgic P2 win98se system and it worked. Played quake2 and Ultima 9 for a few hours. :argh:

http://members.shaw.ca/sk5969/Video%20003.jpg

saturnotaku
12-22-05, 05:09 AM
$500 eight years ago seems about right. This particular board commanded a price premium even over buying 2 Voodoo2 cards separately. What did you happen to pay for it?

Treason
12-22-05, 06:15 AM
Buying a used living room halogen lamp for $10 and pointing to the X-24 box and said, what's that? Oh it's from my son's box in the attic. I think it's a computer game or a board game. It's quite old. Hey I like computer games, how about $5 for it? Sure, you can have it! (xmasgrin) (xmastong)

Prime
12-22-05, 07:11 AM
Ebay it...I bet you'd be surprised at how much you get for it.

CaptNKILL
12-22-05, 09:10 AM
Buying a used living room halogen lamp for $10 and pointing to the X-24 box and said, what's that? Oh it's from my son's box in the attic. I think it's a computer game or a board game. It's quite old. Hey I like computer games, how about $5 for it? Sure, you can have it! (xmasgrin) (xmastong)
:rofl

Wow, youre a very luck man :D

Those things are hard to come by. If it werent for all the modern Glide Wrappers Id probably buy that off of you for a lot more than you payed for it... but sadly, voodoo cards are mostly just a collectors item now, they arent even needed to play old glide games any more.

Id say put it on ebay with a reserve of like $100 (make sure to post box shots and stress that it works very well) and if it doesnt sell keep it for a lonnggg time. That really is a piece of computer history you've got there. If you really dont need it at all, put it on for $50 or maybe a little lower, but I think youd be very surprised at what people would pay for that beast.

BrianG
12-22-05, 09:52 AM
Sweet find. There was a CompUSA in Austin that still had one of those in the display case a couple of years back. Still had the $500 price tag. Funny stuff.

Ancient
12-22-05, 01:01 PM
Woah. A blast from the past.

I'll send this link to my younger brother. He's the director of the graphics department for Quantum3D. (Yes, they are still around, primarily doing military simulation and arcade hardware, but now using NVIDIA graphics instead of 3dfx.) The guys in his office will probably get a kick out of it.

Treason
01-22-07, 06:46 AM
I put it up on ebay if any nvnews vintage video card collectors are interested. I had a fun year displaying it. ;)

asphalt
01-22-07, 09:27 AM
Nice find!

ENU291
01-22-07, 10:00 AM
I actually bought one of those back when I worked for CompUSA. Ahhh the memories....:wonder:

Treason
01-28-07, 09:14 PM
:rofl

Wow, youre a very luck man :D

Those things are hard to come by. If it werent for all the modern Glide Wrappers Id probably buy that off of you for a lot more than you payed for it... but sadly, voodoo cards are mostly just a collectors item now, they arent even needed to play old glide games any more.

Id say put it on ebay with a reserve of like $100 (make sure to post box shots and stress that it works very well) and if it doesnt sell keep it for a lonnggg time. That really is a piece of computer history you've got there. If you really dont need it at all, put it on for $50 or maybe a little lower, but I think youd be very surprised at what people would pay for that beast.

Hey CaptNKILL, you were right, even over a year later. It sold for $185 US to a video card collector.

CaptNKILL
01-28-07, 09:31 PM
Hey CaptNKILL, you were right, even over a year later. It sold for $185 US to a video card collector.
Sweet! :D

$180 profit :)

Big E
06-14-08, 12:34 PM
Check out this link on eBay: *****

It ends 8/21/2008 and has the board, box, disks, and limited edition T-Shirt. I'll bet the guys at Quantum would enjoy this exceptional find!!!

CaptNKILL
06-14-08, 04:39 PM
Check out this link on eBay: *****

It ends 8/21/2008 and has the board, box, disks, and limited edition T-Shirt. I'll bet the guys at Quantum would enjoy this exceptional find!!!

Is that your auction Big E?

BigE4u
06-14-08, 04:51 PM
Uh ohs... lQQks like i gots me a copycat. :p j/k

Holy crap, the original post is dated back in 12-22-05

SLippe
06-14-08, 04:51 PM
CaptNKILL may have to kill a sock over that auction! :D

CaptNKILL
06-14-08, 04:53 PM
CaptNKILL may have to kill a sock over that auction! :D

If I had money to burn I'd definitely buy that. Along with a $2000 Voodoo 5 6000...

But sadly, I'm not that wealthy. :p

G-Man
06-14-08, 06:12 PM
3dfx VOODOOOOOOOOOOOOO one of my fav gfx card until nvidia bought them :(

BigE4u
06-14-08, 06:13 PM
Nothing wrong with nVidia... in fact, i prefer them over ATI

Lfctony
06-15-08, 02:12 AM
Is that your auction Big E?

I think so too...

Big E
06-19-08, 11:45 AM
Yup, it's my eBay listing, everyone. It's 100% legit. Honestly, has anyone else seen that T-Shirt before? Have you seen as complete a package as this for sale? If it doesn't sell I'll just sit on it a few more years. Best wishes to all.

Big E
06-19-08, 11:49 AM
Yup, it's mine, and 100% legit. Have you ever seen that T-shirt? If this doesn't sell I'll just sit on it for a few more years. Best wishes to you.

CaptNKILL
06-20-08, 11:56 AM
Yup, it's my eBay listing, everyone. It's 100% legit. Honestly, has anyone else seen that T-Shirt before? Have you seen as complete a package as this for sale? If it doesn't sell I'll just sit on it a few more years. Best wishes to all.

You aren't allowed to post eBay links here.

Please read the rules.