PDA

View Full Version : UT 2K7 officially a PS3 Launch Title!

Pages : [1] 2 3

|MaguS|
12-22-05, 08:00 AM
Seven months later, the two companies have broken their silence. The January 2006 issue of PlayStation Magazine proudly proclaims that, yes, UT 2007 is coming to the PlayStation 3. Inside, the magazine also reveals that the game will be a launch title for the PlayStation 3, which is tentatively slated for a spring 2006 launch.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6141640.html

Pretty quick development eh? I guess the claim that the PS3 is so difficult to code for can now be laid to rest... Oh and before PC Gamers start shouting about lack of Mouse and Keyboard, The PS3 100% supports USB Mice and Boards so aslong as Epic puts in support for it (which I don't dout since UT for PS2 had support) there is no worry.

Superfly
12-22-05, 08:13 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzz

LiquidX
12-22-05, 09:47 AM
Difficult does not mean impossible and they have had devkits for over a year now. I guess the PS3 may have sound online structure then if this is a launch. Things are looking good.(rudolf)

|MaguS|
12-22-05, 10:16 AM
Difficult does not mean impossible and they have had devkits for over a year now. I guess the PS3 may have sound online structure then if this is a launch. Things are looking good.(rudolf)

Actually Epic only had the devkit for 10 months. :p They recieved the kits 2 months prior to E3. So they were able to bring over everything they accomplished on the PC and even pass the PCs Version and Gears of War in development time. The game is set to release this spring with the console (unless delayed) which is months before the PC version and Gears of War for the x360 release.

msxyz
12-22-05, 10:43 AM
UT 2007 is coming to the PlayStation 3. Inside, the magazine also reveals that the game will be a launch title for the PlayStation 3, which is tentatively slated for a spring 2006 launch.

I don't see the PS3 launching in japan with UT2k7. Unless Sony is confident that the japanese audience will swallow everything it throws in their way. It might be a launch title for the North American or European debut, though.

Besides, I'd like to know how Epic thinks to reconcile this with their past statement that "UT2k7 would bring gameplay back to the roots". Unless they plan to ship a mouse and keyboard with every copy of it, the gameplay mechanics will have to be tweaked to work well with a joypad. This means it will turn out into another stupid consolish jumpfest like UT2003.

|MaguS|
12-22-05, 10:51 AM
Again... the PS3 supports USB mice and beyboards so all they need to do is a make a default map for the joystick and anyone who wants the "real" experiance can hook up the mouse and board to the ps3. They have no reason to change the gameplay, they didn't for UT on the PS2 and Dreamcast.

Bad_Boy
12-22-05, 11:09 AM
Already knew about the story from another forum, but props on sharing |MaguS|. I cannot wait for this :D

mouse + keyboard + fps's = ftw!

I don't see the PS3 launching in japan with UT2k7. Unless Sony is confident that the japanese audience will swallow everything it throws in their way. It might be a launch title for the North American or European debut, though.

We dont know if sony will be launching in Japan first. Infact, Sony might not even be sure yet according to a recent interview.

PSM: Are you still committed to a spring launch for PS3?

Kaz Hirai: We are still strategizing over that, and we've not come to a decision yet as to whether we want to with Japan first, the same time, three territories at the same time. Those things we're still looking at, and it's obviously a decision that needs to be made with us weighting a variety of actors, including how many units we can ramp up to, what is the manufacturing capacity, but, more importantly, what kind of software lineup are we going to have between first- and third-party in any of the three territories that will get the product first, being Japan, Europe, and the U.S. Which territory has the flow of software, the lineup of software? That will factor into it as well. So, basically, in a nutshell, it's too early to answer that question both from the manufacturing ramp up standpoint as well as the software lineup standpoint.

http://www.ps3forums.com/viewtopic.php?p=177455#177455

Zzzzzzzzzzzz
?

msxyz
12-22-05, 11:18 AM
Again... the PS3 supports USB mice and beyboards so all they need to do is a make a default map for the joystick and anyone who wants the "real" experiance can hook up the mouse and board to the ps3. They have no reason to change the gameplay, they didn't for UT on the PS2 and Dreamcast.UT on the DC and PS2 was nothing more than an experiment. Epic probably needed to show how scalable was its engine. Unreal Championship was the first Unreal game conceived with consoles in mind but its gameplay turned out to be rather mediocre and so was in its PC counterpart - even with a mouse.

Plus, there's a big disparity between the precision and speed of a mouse and a joypad. Allowing players with a mouse to join the same servers of "common" pad users would be foolish. Splitting the comunity into two (mouse only servers and joypad servers) would be equally foolish as well. Professional FPS players will probably stick with the PC anyway.

What makes the original UT one of the most played online FPS ever is a kickass fast gameplay and the editor which is an integral part of the success of the Unreal franchise. On a console you lack of either.

If UT2007 sees the light of the day on the PS3 is only because NVidia (longtime Epic partner and cashcow) wishes so, because it makes profits from every PS3 sold.

We dont know if sony will be launching in Japan first. Infact, Sony might not even be sure yet according to a recent interview.
I did read that comment by I think it's only some more of the same smoke-and-mirror game Sony executives love to play.

We'll know the truth pretty soon. The best period of the year to launch new hardware in japan is probably the so called "golden week" in spring because in term of sales it's equivalent to the pre-christmas period in the western countries. This is also the reason why Microsoft is not too worried to have many titles available now on the japanese market. The real battle will be fought in Spring.

Bad_Boy
12-22-05, 11:27 AM
What makes the original UT one of the most played online FPS ever is a kickass fast gameplay and the editor which is an integral part of the success of the Unreal franchise. On a console you lack of either.

How is this so with the ps3? It wont be fast paced on the ps3? Epic is not making the game? :lol:

If UT2007 sees the light of the day on the PS3 is only because NVidia (longtime Epic partner and cashcow) wishes so, because it makes profits from every PS3 sold.
No surprise really if true. Some things are always about money. How do you think MS got exclusivity with Gears of War? The point is, UT2k7 is coming to the ps3...and I and many others cannot wait. :D

|MaguS|
12-22-05, 11:30 AM
msxyz, You went from talking about them chaning the gameplay to fit on the console to just complaining about console FPS games... Your post is as usefull as an thlonXP1800 PS3 Post.

The console versions of UT and Quak3 were exact ports of the PC versions. The DC version of Q3 was even able to play against PC users. There was NO gameplay changes in them, the game was still fast as the PC versions.

The lack of an editor means NOTHING to gameplay, your just reaching for negative points now and failing bad.

I must also repeat myself again since you clearly can't read... both the original UT on the PS2 and UT2007 on the PS3 support USB Mice and Keyboards. So if the PS3 version has online play (which I see no reason for it not to), there is no reason that the console player cant compete with the PC player on equel ground.

Im still wondering why Unreal Championship was brought into this...

Mr. Hunt
12-22-05, 11:37 AM
Do we even know for 100% there won't be an editor? I don't see why they couldn't have it...

|JuiceZ|
12-22-05, 11:44 AM
For those of you more in the know, how does this affect the release date for the pc version?

Mr. Hunt
12-22-05, 11:45 AM
For those of you more in the know, how does this affect the release date for the pc version?

I don't know for sure... but it probably doesn't affect it.

msxyz
12-22-05, 11:51 AM
Im still wondering why Unreal Championship was brought into this...Well, because it was the first FPS from Epic, designed with consoles in mind.

If you can hook up the PS3 to a mouse and play sitting in front of a monitor does not change the fact that most people don't. They sit in front of a TV (or some meters away on a comfrotable couch) and play with the default pad. How are you going to sell an hardcore FPS to such people? You don't. You've an easier route trying to adapt the gameplay to what the majority of people do.

The point of my past posts is simply that I'm skeptic about Epic returning to the roots with UT2k7. Sure they may repeat what they had done with the original UT, but it's more likely that they will follow the UT2k3 route.

Time will tell who's right.

|MaguS|
12-22-05, 11:52 AM
Do we even know for 100% there won't be an editor? I don't see why they couldn't have it...

It could really only be possible if they designed it with the HD in mind since the Unreal Editors have always been very complicated and required alot of space for maps, I mean they could always make a Timesplittes like Editor for the game but thats very restrictive for a game like UT.

|JuiceZ|, Theres not clue on how this affects the PC Version. Last I heard it was set for a late 2006 release but who knows...

msxyz
12-22-05, 11:59 AM
Do we even know for 100% there won't be an editor? I don't see why they couldn't have it...On PC the editor will be included. It has already been mentioned in one of the interviews. But it's highly unlikely to it adapted to normal console use. UnrealED needs a good amount of RAM, plus in the later iterations is pretty useless if not used in conjuction with an external 3D modeller like Maya, Lightwave or 3DStudio. UnrealED itself does not have the capability to generate complex 3d meshes

Pariah for the Xbox had a small stand-alone editor which allow people to assemble simple online maps using existing prefabs. But it's a far cry from what the UnrealEd is capable of.

Bad_Boy
12-22-05, 12:47 PM
Most console gamers wouldnt even know what to do with UnrealED. If they knew how to use it, im sure they would be buying the PC version anyway. Not having a Editor never hurt Halo. (not saying its a good game, but I cant lie and say its not one of the biggest console fps ever)

Other than a Editor, I think both versions of ut2k7 will be exactly the same. Feel free to quote me on that.

kev13dd
12-22-05, 03:48 PM
What is wrong with people? Jesus christ, you people would make it sound like we should segregate joypad users and keyboard users into separate drinking fountains and bathrooms and god knows what else

Consoles were designed with joypads pretty much. Computers were designed with keyboards pretty much. They each have their own completely different style of people who use them. You bought a console, then quit complaining about the joypad thing. If you wanted the keyboard, then you should have bought the computer version

Who CARES if the people with joypads are at a disadvantage to the PC people? Guess what- you bought whatever version you are on. Don't complain about being at a disadvantage if you are the one who decided to use a console version

It doesn't matter about what anyone here says. Ranting and raving isn't ganna suddenly make a keyboard come standard with the PS3, or vica versa make all computers have gamepads. You have what you have. No one out there is forced to use a certain one. SO JUST STOP the stupid keyboard vs gamepad argument for gods sake

K

GamerGuyX
12-22-05, 04:50 PM
What is wrong with people? Jesus christ, you people would make it sound like we should segregate joypad users and keyboard users into separate drinking fountains and bathrooms and god knows what else

Consoles were designed with joypads pretty much. Computers were designed with keyboards pretty much. They each have their own completely different style of people who use them. You bought a console, then quit complaining about the joypad thing. If you wanted the keyboard, then you should have bought the computer version

Who CARES if the people with joypads are at a disadvantage to the PC people? Guess what- you bought whatever version you are on. Don't complain about being at a disadvantage if you are the one who decided to use a console version

It doesn't matter about what anyone here says. Ranting and raving isn't ganna suddenly make a keyboard come standard with the PS3, or vica versa make all computers have gamepads. You have what you have. No one out there is forced to use a certain one. SO JUST STOP the stupid keyboard vs gamepad argument for gods sake

K

Well said. (cheers)

Toss3
12-22-05, 05:15 PM
Well said. (cheers)
X2! (xmassign)

jAkUp
12-22-05, 06:23 PM
I just hope the console game doesn't influence the PC game too heavily... :( UT has always been a PC game for the most part.

I will cry if I ever see Unreal Tournament "Invisible War" I will seriously cry.

Mr_LoL
12-22-05, 06:34 PM
Cool. I cant wait for those hoverboard thingys.

Buenamos
12-22-05, 10:18 PM
I'm curious to see how the xbox360 and the PS3 both handle it.

|MaguS|
12-23-05, 10:39 AM
Some info from the new PSM that had hands on time with the game... and some questions answered from Epic.

1) Demo was in development for 8 months when played.
2) Vehicles control far better with the Dual-Shock then the keyboard and mouse. Steve Polge from Epic stated this...
3) UT 2007 is very focused on Vehicle Combat, An entire battle can be played out within vehicles only
4) UT 2007 will feature a multiple Single Player missions and Campaigns. One is called "Warfare" which is a ongoing mission/battles that the outcome of the previous effects the next one and is story-driven.
5) The PS3 version will be running by default at 720p (1080x720), Nothing was graphically toned down when brought over to the PS3 (well except the resolution).
6) The un-optimized demo was running on a Dev-Kit that was weaker then the Final Specs at a steady 49FPS, Mark Rein states that the final build will run smoother then the PC version thanks to the lack of background things (OS, Background Apps, ect...).
7) The difference between the PC and the PS3 version is that the PC uses Direct X while the PS3 is running OpenGL.
8) The PS3 is a "night and day difference" when compared to the PS2 in coding for. The PS3 requires no need to relearn everything and much of preexisting knowledge can easily be applied to it. Stated by Sweeney and Josh.

The PSM also hints at Sony adapting an Xbox Live type of online system, many developer interviews within the magazine point in that direction.

npras42
12-23-05, 10:48 AM
Thats all very impressive. :)

Personally, I cant wait. It looks like I'm not going down the X360 road since I'm not so rich at the moment, and I really want a quality multiplayer FPS to play with my friends, when I do buy a PS3.

I really don't see the problem with online play. The PS3 doesn't NEED an XBOX Live type service to be successful online. It doesn't need to be fully integrated between games with 'Achievement Points' or a 'Friends list' and a way to match rookies with rookies and pros with pros. I agree that all these things are really nice benefits of an X360, but I do without them very well on my PC, so I don't see why the PS3 needs these things.