PDA

View Full Version : AC NV5 rev. 3 not covering a ram chip on 7800gt??

Graphite
12-22-05, 04:38 PM
Under the exhaust side of the NV5 rev.3 there is a ram chip not being covered by anything. Everything else is covered by the ram coolers, but this one is not.

Should i be concerned about this, or is this done by AC for reasons unknown?

jAkUp
12-22-05, 06:56 PM
Do you mean there is a gap? Or is it not covered at all?

PaiN
12-22-05, 09:52 PM
Graph, what card are you using it on?

Clay
12-22-05, 10:01 PM
Does it look kind of like this?

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/arctic_cooler_nv5_silencer/images/nocontact.jpg

It likely won't be a problem as long you have good contact with the GPU and the rest of the memory.

You can see that I ran into the need to do quite a bit of filing to get mine more level.

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/arctic_cooler_nv5_silencer/index.shtml

n0trix
12-23-05, 08:27 AM
This Cooler is a ****ty piece of hardware IMO,the material is not good,very cheap.
Think about the costs to built this cooler,design,material etc. and then look at the retail price.How does it feel when you have a 350$-700$ vidcard covered by this trash cooler without covering the ram chips correctly ??
And the fan noise,yes silent but only for a few weeks then the fan starts to rumble.I can't understand the reviewers testing them only for the review(a couple of hours),hey cooling performance is good it's a hit 90%,but long time tests ?? hmm no time yet must get the review out before AS is working correctly.
Please ASS COOLING stay out of buisness and don't try to make another rev. of this cooler.

jAkUp
12-23-05, 11:45 AM
Mine was silent for half a year until I sold it. It worked great. Yes some people have installation problems, but once you get it set up and working its an awesome cooler.

Q
12-23-05, 11:51 AM
If you look at the newegg reviews of these things LOTS of people are having issues with the fans failing on the older 2 versions. And some on the Rev 3. If you google enough you'll find forums with people having these issues. That's one of the main factors I had in choosing the ZF-700 CU over the NV Silencer.

But for those who it works well for, I bet its nice having all that hot ass air being pumped OUT of your system. :D

n0trix
12-23-05, 03:55 PM
Mine was silent for half a year until I sold it. It worked great. Yes some people have installation problems, but once you get it set up and working its an awesome cooler.

Are you statisfied with the stock cooler on your ultras,I like the design,I think with this cooler there is no need for a aftermarket cooler.
What's your opinion on the noise level? same as the stock cooler on 256MB cards?
(xmassign)

Clay
12-23-05, 04:39 PM
This Cooler is a ****ty piece of hardware IMO,the material is not good,very cheap.
Think about the costs to built this cooler,design,material etc. and then look at the retail price.How does it feel when you have a 350$-700$ vidcard covered by this trash cooler without covering the ram chips correctly ??
And the fan noise,yes silent but only for a few weeks then the fan starts to rumble.I can't understand the reviewers testing them only for the review(a couple of hours),hey cooling performance is good it's a hit 90%,but long time tests ?? hmm no time yet must get the review out before AS is working correctly.
Please ASS COOLING stay out of buisness and don't try to make another rev. of this cooler.A couple of hours??? A couple of hours??? You've obviously never reviewed anything or if you have you've not done an adequte job. I spent many hours reviewing the AS5 on my 6800 Ultra. It was a pain in the butt to get lapped sufficiently but once that was done I never had any problems with it after months of use.

Just keep in mind that everyone's experiences are not the same.

n0trix
12-23-05, 06:25 PM
A couple of hours??? A couple of hours??? You've obviously never reviewed anything or if you have you've not done an adequte job. I spent many hours reviewing the AS5 on my 6800 Ultra. It was a pain in the butt to get lapped sufficiently but once that was done I never had any problems with it after months of use.

Just keep in mind that everyone's experiences are not the same.

Yes I never reviewed anything,but the AC NV5 is a bad product IMO and I had two of them,the first came without the right pci slot cover and the fan starts to rumble after two weeks,four ram chips not covered right.
The second one comes with the right pci slot cover,but the fan failed after three months,and the ram chips again large gaps between the the soldered memory pads and the chips (two now) nice one AC one point for this.
The AC NV5 is far away from being a retail product.

(xmassign)

Clay
12-23-05, 06:29 PM
Yes I never reviewed anything,but the AC NV5 is a bad product IMO and I had two of them,the first came without the right pci slot cover and the fan starts to rumble after two weeks,four ram chips not covered right.
The second one comes with the right pci slot cover,but the fan failed after three months,and the ram chips again large gaps between the the soldered memory pads and the chips (two now) nice one AC one point for this.
The AC NV5 is far away from being a retail product.

(xmassign)
Believe me, I'm not a big fan of AC's products lately either. I do believe the NV5 offered excellent cooling and low noise, however, it took a LOT of effort on my part to get it to that point. There are those, though, that never had any problems with the NV5. It's too bad that it was a "luck of the draw" product as it really had much more potential.

n0trix
12-23-05, 06:40 PM
Under the exhaust side of the NV5 rev.3 there is a ram chip not being covered by anything. Everything else is covered by the ram coolers, but this one is not.

Should i be concerned about this, or is this done by AC for reasons unknown?

Yes you should be concerned,it's your vidcard,you have payed for every little piece on the PCB,put the NV5 rev.3 in the trash can.
Stay with the stock cooler or void your warranty with a good retail product (Zalman ZF-700 CU).

(xmassign)

jAkUp
12-25-05, 02:02 AM
Are you statisfied with the stock cooler on your ultras,I like the design,I think with this cooler there is no need for a aftermarket cooler.
What's your opinion on the noise level? same as the stock cooler on 256MB cards?
(xmassign)

Very satisified. The best stock cooler I have ever seen on a graphics card. To be honost, I don't think there is anything better to replace these badboys... I may just apply som AS5, but thats it :)

Roliath
12-25-05, 02:36 AM
Very satisified. The best stock cooler I have ever seen on a graphics card. To be honost, I don't think there is anything better to replace these badboys... I may just apply som AS5, but thats it :)
i totally agree with you there, I tried a lapped zalman vf700cu and saw very little difference in temps. So I just applied AS5 to the stock cooler, and that dropped temps a few degrees. The only aftermarket cooler that I think has a chance to beat out 512MB cooler is the STASIS IceStorm NV7800C5.