PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent BSOD: WoW, eVGA 6800 GS, ForceWare 81.95

rottendumpling
12-22-05, 08:21 PM
I posted this over at the official nVidia forum but this place seems more alive so I'll try my luck here.

While playing World of Warcraft I'll intermittently get a BSOD. So far I've experienced:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
BAD_POOL_CALLER
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

It doesn't happen often but every couple of days it does happen. (For what it's worth I experience PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA more than the other two.) I checked out the memory dumps (attached below) and each time it seems like an issue with nv4_disp.dll. I've tried other driver versions and even reformatted without luck.

I don't play anything other than WoW so I'm not sure if other games are affected but I have looped 3DMark2005 overnight without fail. Very strange and frustrating at the same time.

Any ideas?

Specs: X2 3800+ // DFI LanParty UT Ultra-D (nForce4 AMD 6.70) // eVGA GeForce 6800 GS (ForceWare 81.95) // 2x1GB Mushkin XP4000 // OCZ PowerStream 520

IQz3r0
12-23-05, 04:20 AM
it's either ram or hdd in this case. first, check your ram with memtest (one dimm at a time) and your hdd for bad sectors. alternatively, you could check with hdd regenerator. see if you find anything.

macatak
12-23-05, 05:10 AM
Have you tried the 82.12 drivers ?

• Added support for the GeForce 6800 GS AGP.
• Added support for the Dell 3007WFP panel.

IQz3r0
12-23-05, 05:52 AM
did u see his specs? Specs: X2 3800+ // DFI LanParty UT Ultra-D (nForce4 AMD 6.70) /

i doubt he has an agp slot :D

macatak
12-23-05, 09:35 AM
oops!! you're right, should've checked :o

rottendumpling
12-23-05, 01:59 PM
it's either ram or hdd in this case. first, check your ram with memtest (one dimm at a time) and your hdd for bad sectors. alternatively, you could check with hdd regenerator. see if you find anything.

I think the RAM is okay, I've memtested it for 24hrs more than once and they pass each time but this is the first time the HDD has been suggested. I'll check that part out and see if it helps. (If you don't mind me asking what made you think the HDD could be at fault?)

n0trix
12-23-05, 04:37 PM
@rottendumpling

which hdd? one or two (RAID) ?
soundcard ?
any components on the same IRQ ?

(xmassign)

rottendumpling
12-23-05, 05:25 PM
1 HDD, WD Caviar SE 200GB. Soundcard is an Audigy 2. I haven't checked for IRQ conflicts yet but I use ACPI for what it's worth.

(santa2)

n0trix
12-23-05, 06:34 PM
I got a lot of BSOD (machine_check_exception,irq_not_less_or_equal etc.) before my rig was stable.
But now it is for two months stable,no more BSOD,since the last install of winxp.
I don't use RAID anymore and no IDE drivers from nvidia installed only the standard IDE drivers,i think getting rid of the nvRaid and the nvidia IDE drivers was the key for me getting a stable system without BSOD everytime.
(cheers)

garikfox
12-23-05, 06:57 PM
Its memory timings been there seen that (or) ! (xmasgrin)

Make sure to use only RAID driver 5.52 with nVRAID BIOS 4.84 and later.

P.S - Use 81.98 at the least.

garikfox
12-23-05, 06:59 PM
I got a lot of BSOD (machine_check_exception,irq_not_less_or_equal etc.) before my rig was stable.
But now it is for two months stable,no more BSOD,since the last install of winxp.
I don't use RAID anymore and no IDE drivers from nvidia installed only the standard IDE drivers,i think getting rid of the nvRaid and the nvidia IDE drivers was the key for me getting a stable system without BSOD everytime.
(cheers)

Yep, The IDE doesnt isntall on mine either.