PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know Why Asus Update Dosen't Work?

scott123
12-23-05, 02:18 AM
Just formatted due to a new hard drive. With a fresh install XP-SP2 ASUS Update (for Window$ bios flash) doesn't work. I went to the ASUS site and they even have a new version, but that one is borked too for my SLI Deluxe mobo .

I emailed ASUS, and they have been aware of this issue for some time, but their only answer is; "it doesn't work"....no kidding! .

I guess its floppy time, so I'll have to scrounge one up, but my question is; Does anyone know WHY this utility doesn't work, and why the hell can't ASUS fix it. If ASUS can't fix it then why to they even put it on the CD with the motherboard in the first place .

Riptide
12-23-05, 08:29 AM
Define "doesn't work". That's not enough information to even comment on.

scott123
12-23-05, 10:41 AM
I guess if you had a SLI Deluxe motherboard and tried to flash in windows you would understand what I'm talking about. From what I understand it affects any NF4 motherboard and some NF3. When I say "not working" I mean the software says "no ASUS motherboard detected" and thats about it . Download the utility and try it, you'll see what I mean.

OWA
12-23-05, 11:56 AM
I haven't been able to get any versions of ASUS update to work with my A8N-SLI Premium. I initially thought it was because of having a dual-core CPU since they mentioned that being fixed in the later versions but the newer versions don't work either. I can't even get it installed. I get some sort of NT error. So, I just use the built-in flash method during boot.

CrazyIvan
12-23-05, 12:10 PM
I haven't been able to get any versions of ASUS update to work with my A8N-SLI Premium. I initially thought it was because of having a dual-core CPU since they mentioned that being fixed in the later versions but the newer versions don't work either. I can't even get it installed. I get some sort of NT error. So, I just use the built-in flash method during boot.

That's Creative's fault. Their driver (for SB Audigy and onwards) somehow conflicts with Asus Update. There is a regfix out which is supposed to fix this, haven't tested it though.

Change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\aWow6432Node

Riptide
12-23-05, 12:20 PM
It worked for me but then again I didn't try it after installing my X-Fi so it might have been broken ubeknownst to me.

OWA
12-23-05, 02:38 PM
That's Creative's fault. Their driver (for SB Audigy and onwards) somehow conflicts with Asus Update. There is a regfix out which is supposed to fix this, haven't tested it though.
Thanks, I might give that a shot to see how it goes.

CrazyIvan
12-23-05, 02:49 PM
Thanks, I might give that a shot to see how it goes.
np (xmasmile)

scott123
12-23-05, 03:49 PM

Umm...I tried this fix, but it didn't work. Are you sure this is a Creative problem? I'm running an X-Fi

CrazyIvan
12-23-05, 04:08 PM
that's not 100% certain afaik (both say it's the other one's fault), but when i updated my sound driver a couple of months ago, Asus Update suddenly stopped working. After i formated Asus Update worked fine until i installed the latest Audigy driver again. I found that regedit on the Asus support forums, but haven't tested it so far. I now use the built-in flash method.

here's been a few posts on here about the X-Fi drivers "breaking" the Asus update feature. It also "breaks" Logitech iTouch software. Before installing X-Fi PLatinum I used the Asus update utility to go to BIOS 1009. I also have nVidia version 6.66 from their website. My CPU is AMD64 4000+. After installing the X-Fi it did break the Asus Updater and showed the error message that's been reported here before. Basically the update utility fails to load at all. The Logitech Support people recommend a registry edit to fix it. You might want to set a system restore point first. All registry edits are done are your own risk... but here it is:

Change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\aWow6432Node

Save it, reboot and the Asus Utility now loads as does the Logitech software.

I've left the registry key with that edit to see if anything else is now broken but so far all is well. Worse case is to change it only when you need to use the update utility and then change it back.

BTW, the audio from the X-Fi is awesome, especially in games.

OWA
12-23-05, 04:08 PM
Dang, didn't work for me either but oh well, it was worth a shot. The screenshots show the errors I get.

scott123
12-23-05, 04:16 PM
Forgot to reboot, works great now.

Thank you.

CrazyIvan
12-23-05, 04:19 PM
Forgot to reboot, works great now.

Thank you.

np. just tested it myself, it's working fine for me, too.

OWA
12-23-05, 04:32 PM
Maybe it would work for me also if I could actually get the program installed. :)

scott123
12-23-05, 08:45 PM
Do the reg fix, re-boot and it should install. I had the same problem as well with an older version.

OWA
12-23-05, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestion but I tried that initially. I figured I needed to reboot for it to work. What version are you using? Maybe there is later version than what I have. Also, did you get the same errors I had in the screenshots.

Edit: I think I'll try it again though just to make sure.

OWA
12-23-05, 09:12 PM
I'm not sure what fixed it but I did it again and this time it worked. The only difference was this time I download Asus Update from their website again instead of using the one I downloaded a while back. It looks like it was the same version though. So, I don't know. Oh, another difference is that I've now got .NET installed. I recently downloaded nHancer again and so I went ahead and downloaded .NET 1.1 from MS update. I didn't originally have any versions of .NET installed.

Oh well, thanks for making me try it again. :) It's now working. Thanks for the fix CrazyIvan.

Edit: One other question, does the registry change mess up anything with Creative's software or is it okay to leave it like that. It's no biggie to change it back and forth but if things are fine both ways with the change, I'll just leave it.

CrazyIvan
12-23-05, 11:21 PM
I'm not sure what fixed it but I did it again and this time it worked. The only difference was this time I download Asus Update from their website again instead of using the one I downloaded a while back. It looks like it was the same version though. So, I don't know. Oh, another difference is that I've now got .NET installed. I recently downloaded nHancer again and so I went ahead and downloaded .NET 1.1 from MS update. I didn't originally have any versions of .NET installed.

Oh well, thanks for making me try it again. :) It's now working. Thanks for the fix CrazyIvan.

Edit: One other question, does the registry change mess up anything with Creative's software or is it okay to leave it like that. It's no biggie to change it back and forth but if things are fine both ways with the change, I'll just leave it.

Glad it's working for you, too. Afaik it shouldn't mess up anything, haven't encountered any problems myself so far.

Reaper106
12-27-05, 09:21 PM
Worked for me, I wonder when ASUS or Creative will step up to the plate and try and fiz this mess? (daz)

AthlonXP1800
12-31-05, 08:05 AM
Whoa when I used NVNews search engine to looked for "X-Fi" then I across this thread, I was not awared of the problem with ASUS Update, I installed latest version 6.10.02 in November last month, it was worked fine last time I used it. But after I read this thread, I tested to see if ASUS Update is still working, I launched the program and get 2 error messages pop up, the first one had ASUS BIOSINFO.DLL title with a square character and I clicked OK then the second error message pop up said "Unable to get BIOS Information!".

The errors had nothing to do with ASUS Update or Creative Audigy driver, both had been updated since October so it was worked fine last time in November. I suspected it was Microsoft fault with any of December Windows Update that triggered it to modified some changes in the registry caused these errors. I already send the ASUS Update error report to Microsoft after the program crashed with 2 errors.

Viventis
12-31-05, 09:41 PM
I just downloaded the latest version and it worked for the first time in months.

Rytir
12-31-05, 09:45 PM
Also during a fresh install to keep from having to do a reg fix which I didnt know anything about you can just install creative cd without driver and install there 04 webupdate driver doesnt affect any version Asus update.